Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hello.
I got my hand on an ML dmg and have created two partitions on my MBP's hard drive. One is the standard 10.7.3 and another is a blank Mac OS Extended (Journaled) 40GB partition for ML.
I can't seem to create a bootable disk (used Disk Util to restore my USB with the dmg. Although I erased the USB as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), however, after restoring the dmg into it, the format became Mac OS Extended (not journaled).
So now can I just open the dmg in Lion instead, and then select it to install in my second 40GB partition instead? Or does it require Lion to install it from the dmg instead?
Thanks.
PS This may sound dumb, but I've never tried this before and am not going to risk wiping my Lion partition first.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Just open the installer in Lion and you can choose the empty partition as the target of the installation.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Err does this work fine? I'm afraid it may wreak havoc on my Lion partition, even if I select the other partition I have specifically created for ML :p
Thanks for your response!

----------

And PS, I have also read some posts stating that one can't boot back to Lion after installing ML, although it's in another partition. Is this true?
Thank you.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Err does this work fine? I'm afraid it may wreak havoc on my Lion partition, even if I select the other partition I have specifically created for ML :p
Thanks for your response!

At least it works fine for me, or how you would expect the first preview to work.

And PS, I have also read some posts stating that one can't boot back to Lion after installing ML, although it's in another partition. Is this true?
Thank you.

I can still boot back into Snow Leopard if I want to, just tried it.

illini71

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
When you create partitions they will not be deleted when you restore. If thats what your worried about. Your partitions are set until YOU delete them. Thats how i have done it for years.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Make a quick note-to-self OP: Installing 2 versions of OSX on the same HDD (especially Macintosh HD) is a VERY bad idea and can ruin your partitions.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Make a quick note-to-self OP: Installing 2 versions of OSX on the same HDD (especially Macintosh HD) is a VERY bad idea and can ruin your partitions.

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but it is false. You can only install one version of OS X per partition and the fact that they are on separate partitions makes it virtually impossible for them to corrupt each other.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but it is false. You can only install one version of OS X per partition and the fact that they are on separate partitions makes it virtually impossible for them to corrupt each other.

No, no it isn't. It's been done for many years.

I'm wondering how this idea came about because I just heard this person talking about that issue on this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC4NKbSBpqU

I want to partition my hdd for mountain lion but now I'm nervous.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I'm wondering how this idea came about because I just heard this person talking about that issue on this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC4NKbSBpqU

I want to partition my hdd for mountain lion but now I'm nervous.

I created a separate ML partition but I was worried about something "going wrong" because of the recovery partition so I opted to install on an external (usb) HDD I had left over when I upgraded my Macbook a few months ago. My internal HDD still has 2 partitions on the thing. One is empty and the other is still sitting there with Snow Leopard if I ever want it.

The only reason I'd be nervous about having ML and SL on one internal HDD is I'm not sure how the presence of the Lion or ML recovery partition might somehow interfere with SL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.