Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
I want to use it as a phone to call my wife's iPhone. :p

Hi,
This is a member of the Viber Development Team.
Here are the instructions for what you asked:

1. connect to WiFi from your iPad/iPod.
2. download and install Viber app. when asked for your number, enter your regular cellphone's number, then confirm.
3. an SMS message with the code will be sent to your regular cellular phone.
4. take that code and use it in your iPad/iPod. Viber will then be activated, and you're good to go.

* this means that if anyone dials your number on Viber, you will get the call on your iPad/iPod.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Hi,

2. download and install Viber app. when asked for your number, enter your regular cellphone's number, then confirm.
4. take that code and use it in your iPad/iPod. Viber will then be activated, and you're good to go.

* this means that if anyone dials your number on Viber, you will get the call on your iPad/iPod.

Hi,
Thank you for your response. That's what I speculated but I don't want to try it until confirmed.
If my number is not US, I supposed I need to put in country code right?
I'll try it tonight. Hope it's working.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi,
Thank you for your response. That's what I speculated but I don't want to try it until confirmed.
If my number is not US, I supposed I need to put in country code right?
I'll try it tonight. Hope it's working.

The registration process is very simple. You choose your country in a box, then type your cellular number, and you'll receive an SMS to your regular phone with the code.

Try it out, and if you have further questions/problems, let me know.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
God! It's so easy to setup I'm embarrassed to ask about it in the first place. My wife and I got both up and running in a matter of minutes.

One thing that you could improve is it reported my line was busy a lot even though I don't use the phone. That's the only thing I found could be improved.

And I didn't know a lot of my friends already use it. HA!

Utkal

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Ipod troubles

I have sucessfully activated viber on my ipod touch but still i cant make.
Calls despite having an internet connection it keeps showing a dialog box sayin
That internet v
Connection needed

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
That internet v
Connection needed

It sounds as if your network is behind a firewall, blocking Viber from functioning.

Please make sure the following ports are enabled:
TCP: 5242 + 4244
UDP: 5243 + 9785

Also, please try using it on a different WiFi network and see if it works.

its4me2kn0w

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
iPod Touch 4G

My boyfriend installed Viber in his iPod Touch 4G but when I tried to call him using my iPhone, the error message 'This contact does not have Viber yet'. However he can call me using Viber but I am not appearing in his contact list as a Viber user, he's just dialing my number.

Can you please help?

CarolineH

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
iPod touch and Viber

Downloaded the app on my iPod touch 4, but got a message saying Viber is not fully compatible with iPod touch or iPad.
Why so?
Thanks.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
@its4me2kn0w -
I apologize for my late response.

Does the problem still persist? Do you still need assistance with that?

@CarolineH -
Because Viber's current version is not fully adapted to iPods and and iPads, but still works just fine.

Try it out :)

jonathandwintr

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
2 iDevices

I read that in order to use viber on iPad I had to put on my cellphone's number to get the code. This method works, however it deletes my viber account on my phone...
This means that viber can only be used on 1 of my 2 idevices?

I could enter my iPad simcard 'phone' number but since i can't get any sms from it, that would be pointless (I tried).

So I really have to make a choice?

Thanks

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Try putting your iPad SIM in a phone and then send the SMS to that number. Any SMS capable phone can be used as well to receive the activation code.

Sindbad

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
That internet v
Connection needed
Maybe, you need a VPN.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
I read that in order to use viber on iPad I had to put on my cellphone's number to get the code. This method works, however it deletes my viber account on my phone...
This means that viber can only be used on 1 of my 2 idevices?

I could enter my iPad simcard 'phone' number but since i can't get any sms from it, that would be pointless (I tried).

So I really have to make a choice?

Thanks

As suggested above, you need to find a second number to register your iPad with. It could be your home number, a friend's or family's etc.

In the future, we plan to add an option to register 2 different devices with the same Viber number. It's a little technologically complex, so it might be a little while before it's ready :)

jacob11

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Yes you can, no matter if you don’t have 3G version and here is a quick guide how to do it.

To activate Viber on your iPad (or iPod Touch), you can use number from your cellphone. After you receive SMS with activation code on it, just enter it on your iPad or iPod Touch and that is it.

Viber was primarily developed for iPhones, so for the best experience, an iPhone with iOS 4 is recommended. While Viber is known to work on iPod Touch and iPads, they are not officially supported.

Prjmax

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
2 iphones in conflict?

My sister gaves me her old iPhone, but when I set up my viber account her new iPhone ask to set up the viber account again, then when she does it my iPhone aske to set up the viber account again, it seems to be a conflict between 2 devices even when we are using different phone numbers, how can we fix this problem?? Is viber saving the iPhone serial number and not only the line number?

Thanks in advance!

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
My sister gaves me her old iPhone, but when I set up my viber account her new iPhone ask to set up the viber account again, then when she does it my iPhone aske to set up the viber account again, it seems to be a conflict between 2 devices even when we are using different phone numbers, how can we fix this problem?? Is viber saving the iPhone serial number and not only the line number?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I apologize for my delayed response.

Viber is associated with the phone itself, but its identity is the phone number with which it was registered.

So, in order to solve this conflict, what you need to do is to go to the "More" tab inside Viber, then choose to Deactivate.

After that, remove Viber from both devices, reinstall it from AppStore, then you register Viber with your telephone number, and she should register with hers. Now, all should work :)

ipodboy24

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
i have downloaded the app viber but gave me a message about " viber doesnt work in ipod or ipads ... " i have an ipod touch 4g, then i tried to receive the message but i have entered my phone number about 20 times and no answer, what can i do :( ??

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
i have downloaded the app viber but gave me a message about " viber doesnt work in ipod or ipads ... " i have an ipod touch 4g, then i tried to receive the message but i have entered my phone number about 20 times and no answer, what can i do :( ??

These are 2 unrelated issues: Viber does not officially support iPads and iPods, but it should still work just fine. The fact that you are not able to receive the code is a different problem, and could have a few different causes.

Please try removing Viber, wait 24 hours, reinstall and try again (make sure you try both the SMS and the automated call options). If this doesn't help, contact our support team at http://support.viber.com and give them the details of the problem.

jyeneild

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
how do use viber on a ipod touch

first you have to have another phone.
then download viber on ipod touch.
then you enter your phone number on your another phone.
then you get an access code and enter it on where it says access code:)

thats all you do its simple:)

Jhash

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
pls help

i have download viber in my ipod touch and it said Viber's current version is not fully adapted to iPods and and iPads, and when i tried to call my hubby it rings with me but it doesnt really call his iphone , and when i tried to call my self from his phone it says that am not a viber user , what should i do ? thanx

Alnico

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2012
Hi,

Curious: How would I know if someone borrowing my phone did this and is getting all Viber calls people attempt to make to me - when I don't use Viber yet? As Viber becomes more commonly used, I could see this being a concern if not adaquately addresssed.

Itsajxoxo

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2012
I've done all the tips and set it up
Fine but it still won't let me accept calls or when I ring they can't pick up. I have an iPod touch 4th generation but I haven't got it updated to the newest update could this be a problem??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.