Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dirtclod

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I am very ambivalent about my Droid Razr. It's OK as a phone and a browser but I miss other aspects of having an iPhone and would like a 4S. Is there any way to get back to having an iPhone without having to just buy one at full price? What about buying a used or refurbished one? Is this a realistic option?

Has anyone done this? The cost of buying a full price phone is eye watering so that's not going to happen.

Ideas?

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
I know exactly what you're saying. 2 months ago I went back to the 4S after trying out the HTC Rezound. The Rezound was ok but in the end a jailbroken iPhone is fine for my needs. If I were you I would try eBay or Craigslist for a nice condition used 4S.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I agree. Craigslist or Ebay is the way to go to find a cheaper 4S. By jailbreaking you have all the benefits of iOS and more than enough features of Android.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've been looking a lot on Craigslist for a 4s also. They seem to go around the $400-500 range.

LatinaC09

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Well the good thing about having the Razr is that you'll be able to sell it at a decent price since its fairly new. Just do it soon before the Razr 2 comes out ;)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just as the others said, eBay or Craigslist will probably be the way to go.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
If you're on Verizon you could add a line, buy a 4s for $199 on the new line and when you receive it call customer service and have them port the 4s to your existing line. They'll make the new line a dummy line for $10 a month for the length of the contract (2 years). $200 + $240 still cheaper than a full price 4s.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Well the good thing about having the Razr is that you'll be able to sell it at a decent price since its fairly new. Just do it soon before the Razr 2 comes out ;)

Little late for that the Razr Maxx is already out lol

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I am very ambivalent about my Droid Razr. It's OK as a phone and a browser but I miss other aspects of having an iPhone and would like a 4S. ....

They think they can leave but they always come back. The always come back.

grumpycompuprof

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
It took me only a week to return the Samsung Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket back to AT&T, so they exchanged it for the iPhone 4S without issues. Now the downside is that I'm ineligible when the iPhone 5 comes out. Bummer.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I have a RAZR and if I were to upgrade right now I would get the RAZR MAXX. After moving from the old Verizon 3G CDMA network with average download speeds in my area of 700-1000 kbps to a blazing fast 15-25 Mbps down it would be hard to turn back. The MAXX fixes the LTE battery drain issue and then some, however I have no issue getting through a normal day on my RAZR running on 4G LTE.

Plus with the iPhone you can't talk and surf at the same time on Verizon. With my RAZR running on a 4G network that isn't an issue.

Last edited:

GearDriven

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
I have a RAZR and if I were to upgrade right now I would get the RAZR MAXX. After moving from the old Verizon 3G CDMA network with average download speeds in my area of 700-1000 kbps to a blazing fast 14-20 Mbps down it would be hard to turn back. The MAXX fixes the LTE battery drain issue and then some, however I have no issue getting through a normal day on my RAZR running on 4G LTE.

Plus with the iPhone you can't talk and surf at the same time on Verizon. With my RAZR running on a 4G network that isn't an issue.

Before paying the premium to go to a 4s, I'd wait for the 5 or whatever it will be called to be out. Even my little town that is an 1.5 hours away from any interstate is being lit up with LTE in the coming weeks. If you are on Verizon as it sounds, I would have a hard time getting by on the EvDO network for the next two years.

Some people said iPhone 5 would be "on schedule" in June/July of this year (compared to the October release of the 4s). I would hate to buy one now and have an LTE phone out in a few months... especially if it comes with a Nexus sized screen. So if you do buy the 4s, do so knowing you probably are going to want to sell it and get the next new shiny thing in a few months...

So with that

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Before paying the premium to go to a 4s, I'd wait for the 5 or whatever it will be called to be out. Even my little town that is an 1.5 hours away from any interstate is being lit up with LTE in the coming weeks. If you are on Verizon as it sounds, I would have a hard time getting by on the EvDO network for the next two years.

Some people said iPhone 5 would be "on schedule" in June/July of this year (compared to the October release of the 4s). I would hate to buy one now and have an LTE phone out in a few months... especially if it comes with a Nexus sized screen. So if you do buy the 4s, do so knowing you probably are going to want to sell it and get the next new shiny thing in a few months...

So with that

That is good advice. The RAZR is a good phone and at this point I think it would be best to just keep it and wait for the iPhone 5 especially if you are in a Verizon 4G market or one that is soon to be a 4G market. Even out here in Western SD which is basically "cow country" we are seeing more and more markets light up with 4G. Count me as one who was surprised when I picked up my phone one night about a month ago and 4G LTE was illuminated. I live in a fairly small town in the Black Hills as well so if we have Verizon 4G it is spreading very very quickly and quick it is... faster then the cable connection at my house!:D

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

Advertise / look for someone that wants to swap the other way. I've seen a few threads where they found someone that wanted a good Android phone to replace their iPhone.

Others mentioned waiting which is good advice, but if you want to land in the middle you could lower your sights and get a 3GS or 4 to hold you until another one is released. Less $$$ outflow. ;)

dirtclod

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
All good thoughts.....

The RAZR is a good phone. No question. But I am not a fan of the Android operating system. Seems like a lame, quick copy of Apple's system. Because that's what it is.

As it is I don't use the 4G much because it seemed to be unstable and also used more battery power. But I won't 'upgrade' to a RAZR MAXX because I'm already cold on the Motorola phone.

I want to like it because I used to use Motorola cells and they were always reliable.

Anyway, I'll probably just wait it out. Certainly I'll wait for the next gen of iPhone.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
find an old lady using an iphone, make sure she's on your provider, take it from her and run. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.