Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
rfe777
macrumors newbie

Why do I have to reboot my PC all the time in order to use iTunes?

I have a problem with iTunes: not only it is heavy and slows my PC a bit, Everytime I close it I need to reboot in order for it to work again. If I don't reboot and just load it, it will just freeze, won't work and won't even recognize my iPhone.
What I did notice is that loading iTunes also loads a few other processes: Applemobiledevicehelper.exe, iPodservice.exe, and iTuneshelper.exe, and even after closing iTunes they are still running, and also the main process iTunes.exe is still running. Closing all of them manually and loading iTunes again won't help.

iTunes version: 10.5.3

Anyone knows how to fix this? It is unbearable having to reboot all the time in order to use iTunes.

TIA
rfe777 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:17 PM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Uninstall and reinstall iTunes?
r.j.s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:24 PM   #3
rfe777
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
Uninstall and reinstall iTunes?
And it won't delete all my backups and my apps?

Also, I've read online that uninstalling iTunes leaves a lot of "leftovers" on the PC, some which have to be removed manually. Is that correct?
rfe777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:26 PM   #4
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post

Also, I've read online that uninstalling iTunes leaves a lot of "leftovers" on the PC, some which have to be removed manually. Is that correct?
No, it will leave the iTunes library folder alone.

I don't know about leftovers.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
chrf097
macrumors 68030

Quote:

The 'leftovers' is the iTunes media folder and probably library files. Your media stays intact. Uninstall and re-install.

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:36 PM   #6
rfe777
macrumors newbie

After reading on the Apple support forums here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923
There are 6 software components that I have to uninstall in order to completely remove iTunes, in that order:

iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour(What is this thing?)
Apple Application Support

Is that correct?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:37 PM   #7
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
After reading on the Apple support forums here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923
There are 6 software components that I have to uninstall in order to completely remove iTunes, in that order:

iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour(What is this thing?)
Apple Application Support

Is that correct?
Don't worry about all that right now, just uninstall the iTunes app and reinstall.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:48 PM   #8
rfe777
macrumors newbie

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes didn't solve this problem.

Any solutions?
rfe777 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:55 PM   #9
blueroom
macrumors 603

Get a Mac?
blueroom is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:57 PM   #10
rfe777
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Get a Mac?
If you don't have an appropriate answer then please don't participate. Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:13 PM   #11
CSMchris376
macrumors regular

I would have to say something else is going on with your PC. I have been using Windows PCs with iTunes and the iPhone since it first came out; using XP, Vista and now Windows 7. I have never had the problem you are describing, however I am not doubting you are having an issue. If you uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes "exactly" step by step from that Apple Support document you listed (HT1923) it should work. I have recommended that to many people on the Apple support forum and it has worked fine. I have run into occasions where iTunes would freeze, but closing it with Task Manager and then restarting it has always resolved the problem.

Have you looked into Device Manager when you have the phone connected and see if there are any hardware conflicts or error messages displayed? Other than following all of the steps in the support document, I can offer no further assistance than what I have posted. Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of iTunes?
CSMchris376 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
I have a problem with iTunes: not only it is heavy and slows my PC a bit, Everytime I close it I need to reboot in order for it to work again. If I don't reboot and just load it, it will just freeze, won't work and won't even recognize my iPhone.
What I did notice is that loading iTunes also loads a few other processes: Applemobiledevicehelper.exe, iPodservice.exe, and iTuneshelper.exe, and even after closing iTunes they are still running, and also the main process iTunes.exe is still running. Closing all of them manually and loading iTunes again won't help.

Anyone knows how to fix this? It is unbearable having to reboot all the time in order to use iTunes.

TIA
Windows isn't particularly good at managing Apple software. Hopefully, that will change with Windows 8, but for now uninstall iTunes via uninstall programs option and reinstall a fresh copy from cnet or apple. I just installed parallels (Windows 7) on my iMac and was having a hell of a time getting iTunes to load from Apple.com. Went to another source and iTunes loaded and has been working fine.
Mac.World is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:22 PM   #13
rfe777
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMchris376 View Post
I would have to say something else is going on with your PC. I have been using Windows PCs with iTunes and the iPhone since it first came out; using XP, Vista and now Windows 7. I have never had the problem you are describing, however I am not doubting you are having an issue. If you uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes "exactly" step by step from that Apple Support document you listed (HT1923) it should work. I have recommended that to many people on the Apple support forum and it has worked fine. I have run into occasions where iTunes would freeze, but closing it with Task Manager and then restarting it has always resolved the problem.

Have you looked into Device Manager when you have the phone connected and see if there are any hardware conflicts or error messages displayed? Other than following all of the steps in the support document, I can offer no further assistance than what I have posted. Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of iTunes?
I have the 32-bit version.
And, I asked here about that support document and was told to just uninstall and reinstall iTunes.
Also, I had Quicktime on the PC before installing iTunes, so now I have to uninstall that to?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
Windows isn't particularly good at managing Apple software. Hopefully, that will change with Windows 8, but for now uninstall iTunes via uninstall programs option and reinstall a fresh copy from cnet or apple. I just installed parallels (Windows 7) on my iMac and was having a hell of a time getting iTunes to load from Apple.com. Went to another source and iTunes loaded and has been working fine.
Already uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, didn't help.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:29 PM   #14
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
If you don't have an appropriate answer then please don't participate. Thanks
I'd say his answer was very appropriate. You just don't have these types of issues on a Mac.
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:35 PM   #15
rfe777
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
I'd say his answer was very appropriate. You just don't have these types of issues on a Mac.
Still his answer is irrelevant to the topic here as it's about iTunes on a Windows PC.
rfe777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:39 PM   #16
blueroom
macrumors 603

Something has went screwy with Windows 7. Either something got corrupted, a dll got overwritten, the registry fouled up, trojan, virus, who knows.

If you haven't reinstalled Windows in a year or so it just gets slower and worse over time.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:50 PM   #17
rfe777
macrumors newbie

OK, I've uninstalled again per the support document and downloaded it again from Apple.com. Does it install Quicktime to or do I have to download it separately?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Jb07
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you haven't reinstalled Windows in a year or so it just gets slower and worse over time.

That is not true. I had a Windows computer for 5 years and never once reinstalled Windows-and I had no problems with it (other than normal slow down.)
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:45 PM   #19
boss.king
macrumors 68040

OP, I had this problem too. An update fixed it, maybe just wait it out. Also, before you do anything drastic and reinstall Windows, blueroom is talking crap. If you use even the slightest bit of common sense when using Windows you never need to reinstall it.

Quote:
OK, I've uninstalled again per the support document and downloaded it again from Apple.com. Does it install Quicktime to or do I have to download it separately?
As I remember it installs Quicktime automatically.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:55 PM   #20
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Quote:

TIA
I know somebody already said it but I'll say it again.....

You are having issues because you don't have a mac
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:37 PM   #21
gngan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Still his answer is irrelevant to the topic here as it's about iTunes on a Windows PC.
Your topic is also irrelevant to this section of the forum (ie iPhone). If you would like a relevant answer then you should post it in the correct section or forum.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:54 PM   #22
blueroom
macrumors 603

Reformat & Reinstall Windows 7, reload iTunes and I'll bet the problem goes away.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:08 AM   #23
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

iTunes for Windows no longer includes or requires Quicktime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb07 View Post
That is not true. I had a Windows computer for 5 years and never once reinstalled Windows-and I had no problems with it (other than normal slow down.)
Same here, I have been using Windows and Mac for a long time. I never had a major problem with either. As long as you install software from reputable sources they both behave solidly.

OP: Here are some tips you could try:

1. Make sure Windows is up to date.

2. If you are not using an AV program get Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free.

3. Make sure you don't have any third party App that uses iTunes running in the background. For example some IM apps use iTunes to display "now playing", and lyrics apps also use iTunes. Also remove third party iTunes plugins before uninstalling.

4. Try uninstalling with the free version of Revo uninstaller.

5. A windows re-install is not required unless something major broke in the OS, in that case you would have problems with all programs not just iTunes.
charlesdayton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:14 PM   #24
rfe777
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngan View Post
Your topic is also irrelevant to this section of the forum (ie iPhone). If you would like a relevant answer then you should post it in the correct section or forum.
As far as I can tell there is no specific section in this forum for iTunes problems so I posted here as it is about using iTunes with an iPhone.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:24 PM   #25
zigzagg321
macrumors 6502

the items on that list that Apple says need to be removed...well...they need to be removed, and then checked to make sure they are gone...THEN reinstall iTunes.

The advice"don't worry about those right now" was incorrect.

also, turn off any anti virus software you may have and see if iTunes works better after that.
zigzagg321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone