Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Anyone know how quickly they normally start selling on Amazon as compared to when Apple begins selling them?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's all down to choice where parole buy from...But I don't get the Amazon thing? I buy lot's of stuff there, but they will be charging the same prices as Apple do for the ipad3. I will as alway's be buying from Apple direct as soon as they are able to take orders.

Is it a US thing? I also get discount from Apple on the device, and on my AC...WOn't get that from Amazon either.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
It's all down to choice where parole buy from...But I don't get the Amazon thing? I buy lot's of stuff there, but they will be charging the same prices as Apple do for the ipad3. I will as alway's be buying from Apple direct as soon as they are able to take orders.

Is it a US thing? I also get discount from Apple on the device, and on my AC...WOn't get that from Amazon either.

A lot of people have Amazon credits and gift cards.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Reason I asked is twofold.

I have an amazon credit card so I get triple rewards points on anything purchased there. I also have quite a few trade in credits with them already and they are currently offering $375 for the 16 wifi only iPad 2. I could probably get $400 on eBay but I'd rather deal with amazon bc there aren't any fees and less hassle.

Even after all that, i don't know if it's worth being without an iPad for 2 additional weeks just waiting on amazon.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Reason I asked is twofold.

I have an amazon credit card so I get triple rewards points on anything purchased there. I also have quite a few trade in credits with them already and they are currently offering $375 for the 16 wifi only iPad 2. I could probably get $400 on eBay but I'd rather deal with amazon bc there aren't any fees and less hassle.

Even after all that, i don't know if it's worth being without an iPad for 2 additional weeks just waiting on amazon.

Actually...I too have an Amazon CC, but I forgot about the vouchers! I guess it's a balance between points on my BOACC...But then, I get a discount for using Amex too! Seems the phrase "Discount for Cash" should now be re-written..."Discount for Credit"....Why?:confused:

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
AFAIK Amazon doesn't sell any iPads themselves. Only resellers sell them through Amazon.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
AFAIK Amazon doesn't sell any iPads themselves. Only resellers sell them through Amazon.

Yep, that was my point. If I buy ( As I will ) from my Apple representative who will phone me when he can take my order, I will get my usual discount, and an additional discount for using my AMEX card. This must be some kind of deal Apple have with AMEX.

BUy from Amazon which is pretty much the same thing apart from the lack of personal service, and I get my points if I use my BOACC...I'm not going to spend all day trying to work out which is better...I do shop a lot on Amazon, but prefer the personal contact from Apple, so I forgo the points in favour of that. I reckon it all works out pretty much the same, and I always get a freebie thrown in when I buy from my guy there...Maybe a case...etc.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The more relevant point is that purchases through Amazon are not subject to sales tax for much of the US, unlike purchases from Apple.

That can be a substantial savings if you're subject to a 9% or 10% sales tax (which is location dependent).

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

No Sales Tax for most states. For a $899 128GB LTE model then thats $90 savings if you buy through Amazon rather than Apple/BestBuy/Target/Walmart.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You're buying it from Amazon and Amazon is fulfilling your order but you're right, they're not a reseller of iPads AFAIK. Whether they're sitting on stock sent by those 3rd parties is another story. Like the OP, I have some credit on my account there and considered buying from Amazon. Apple honors their warranty either way and buying from Amazon means I already get $100 off because of my credit on hand. I believe Amazon sells them a 2-3 weeks after launch but because I never considered buying from them I never noticed.
No Sales Tax for most states. For a $899 128GB LTE model then thats $90 savings if you buy through Amazon rather than Apple/BestBuy/Target/Walmart.

Technically you're supposed to claim your online purchases that were bought tax-free on your tax return. ;)

idk3danica

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Buying iPad 3 from Amazon?

I am planning to buy Apple iPad 3 on my brothers B'day. And I will try to buy through Amazon. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.