Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:30 PM   #1
illegalprelude
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to illegalprelude Send a message via MSN to illegalprelude Send a message via Yahoo to illegalprelude
Hard Drive 32MB or 64MB Cache?

Hey guys and gals,

I'm in need of a new external hard drive and all I need is the drive really, I have the case already. I've been looking at some WD Black drives and there is a 1TB for around $110 with 32MB cache and a 1TB (newer) Black 1TB for $140 with 64MB cache.

Now I'm not doing crazy editing but still, would like the best bang. Is the $30 extra really worth the jump to 64MB cache? I'm plugged in via Firewire 400, running FCPX on a i7 iMac with 16GB ram.
illegalprelude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2
resmypc
macrumors newbie

1TB Hard Drive

I would go ahead and future proof it, in the long run the performance difference will be better but not on everything.

Here is a comparison chart to help you along with your decision, even though those drives are not in direct comparison you can make a decision

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/h...dx46,2930.html
resmypc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

I opted for 64MB drives and performance is very good. I don't know much about the 32MB models so I can't offer a comparison only that the 64's are great.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:14 AM   #4
Richardthe4th
macrumors regular

I think your Firewire 400 will be the bottleneck. The $30 is better invested in FW800 housing IMHO.
Richardthe4th is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

The extra cache will yield maybe 5% difference? Just check some hard drive benchmarks online (i.e. Toms Hardware Storage Charts).

Like the previous poster said, the main bottleneck however is your Firewire 400 interface.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:07 PM   #6
illegalprelude
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to illegalprelude Send a message via MSN to illegalprelude Send a message via Yahoo to illegalprelude
And you are right, between the new enclosure I just purchased, there was a $30 price difference between mine and the unit with Firewire 800. The question I guess is then still the same. I'm not editing in a professional environment so to speak (videos are going on my YouTube channel) and are not being shot with $1,000+ cameras, instead $200 Bloggie's. Is the $30 still worth it? I will be soon purchasing a Sony NEX-5N for video so that will be a bump in quality but for me, ever half a second gained doesn't do much for me.
illegalprelude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:51 PM   #7
cgbier
macrumors 6502a

It definitively is worth it. You are not talking about half seconds here, but for fluid working. It can be frustrating to just scroll the storyline and have a beach ball for seconds until the thumbnails are loaded. Over a day's work that accumulates lost time and frustration.

Firewire, doesn't matter if 400 or 800, is the weakest (slowest) link in your workflow.
cgbier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:04 PM   #8
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

IMO, spend the extra to get FW800 but don't spend extra to get the 64MB cache.

Lethal
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:56 PM   #9
floh
macrumors 6502

I have two thoughts for you:

First, upgrading from 32MB to 64MB Cache is not really that relevant in speed for cutting movies. The Cache becomes interesting if you are accessing a certain amount of data (up to 32 or 64 MB) very frequently. This data can be stored in the Cache and accessed quicker than if you had to read it from disk. This is very advantageous if you are working with files or programs that are rather small, but it is not going to help you scroll though a video faster or building thumbnails, because video files are waaay to big to fit in a Cache. So while you will see an improvement for many workflows with a Cache upgrade, it won't help you much for your editing.

But on the other hand, waiting during editing will really annoy you. I know, a second doesn't sound very long, but if accumulated over a few hours, it might drive you crazy.
If you can afford an i7 iMac system, try to spring for the more expensive hard drive. It will probably save you many a frustrating day. You might even think about getting a completely new one, not in an exchangable external case. I have had very bad experience (concerning speed and reliability) with those, as neat as the upgrade-option might seem now.
floh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video