Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dooglestar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
I posted this on the official Apple Discussions Forums - but surprise surprise, it got deleted...

So -

'Your MobileMe account ends soon. Move to iCloud today.'

That's what's written in the subject bar of the latest email sent from apple. Pretty self-explanatory and easy to imagine this being bellowed in a monotone voice from strategically placed loud speakers in cities, towns and villages across the land...

Although, like a lot of things seemingly simplistic re. Apple, a closer look reveals the devil stoking the fires of the burning pit with an apple designed pitchfork. I don't use Lion, I'm on Snow Leopard and apparently iCloud only runs on Lion. That means I'm being forced to buy Lion if I want to continue using MobileMe/iCloud which I'm already paying for.

I'm sure this has been covered time and time again by people in similar situations but I find myself unable to rid the bad taste left by Apple's arrogant gamble; that being, they know Snow Leopard users have to buy Lion if they want to continue with MobileMe/iCloud so they'd rather risk losing them than utilising Snow Leopard by making them pay more! Quite staggering really.

Cigar toting boffins at Apple HQ - Look guys, there's still some philistines out there using Snow Leopard, let's force them to buy Lion by crippling iCloud, hoorah!

It's a bit like FCPX not opening FCP7 files, in this case it seemed like they just couldn't be bothered (a third party plug-in has already been made).

Oh the shame.

I for one will discontinue my subscription for MobileMe/iCloud. Time to take a stand.

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Wouldn't it have been easier to just switch to Google (or whatever you prefer) rather than going on some diatribe about iCloud?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
You can actually transition your MobileMe addresses to iCloud and still use your email under Snow Leopard (and earlier) versions of OS X.

See this Apple knowledge base document. It tells you what you need to know including how to transition your @mac.com and @me.com addresses to iCloud. Neither Lion nor iOS 5 is needed for this.

More specifically:

First you need to transition your MobileMe address to iCloud.

And then you can access your mail using this information to help add the account back in to Mail.

I did this all under 10.6.8 with no issues.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I for one will discontinue my subscription for MobileMe/iCloud. Time to take a stand.
As a consumer that's your choice, there are other competitors that offer similar products and you are not tied to apple.

I'm not entirely sure what point you're making however, apple has stated from the announcement of iCloud that mobileme is going away. There's no surprise there. Apple has always locked in new features and products to their current operating system. Legacy versions of OSX have always been left out, as apple works hard at keeping their customers current.

If you don't like that, then move on. Personally I'm happy with what they have with iCloud and while it can be improved I have little desire to move off - to each his own.

dooglestar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
You can actually transition your MobileMe addresses to iCloud and still use your email under Snow Leopard (and earlier) versions of OS X.

See this Apple knowledge base document. It tells you what you need to know including how to transition your @mac.com and @me.com addresses to iCloud. Neither Lion nor iOS 5 is needed for this.

More specifically:

First you need to transition your MobileMe address to iCloud.

And then you can access your mail using this information to help add the account back in to Mail.

I did this all under 10.6.8 with no issues.

Thanks Bear, this is useful.

----------

I'm not entirely sure what point you're making however, apple has stated from the announcement of iCloud that mobileme is going away. There's no surprise there.

Yes, you've missed my point. I'm not peeved about MobileMe going away. I'm annoyed that I have to buy Lion in order to use iCloud, a service I'm already paying for.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks Bear, this is useful.

----------

Yes, you've missed my point. I'm not peeved about MobileMe going away. I'm annoyed that I have to buy Lion in order to use iCloud, a service I'm already paying for.

By the time you would be required to move to iCloud, you will not have been paying for the service. And you don't actually need Lion to move to iCloud. You only need Lion if you want to use iCloud with native apps on your Mac. You can still switch to iCloud and use it on your iOS devices or use it on the web interface with your Snow Leopard Mac.

I ended up moving to Lion and the new Mail.app in Lion was worth it all by itself. I used to use Google's gmail/contacts/calendars solution but the excellent integration in Lion and iOS5 with iCloud is so much better than all the inconsistencies I had to put up with using Google stuff on Apple computers and devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.