Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I have an iPhone 4 jb'd on 5.0.1 with redsn0w. Among other problems I'm having with the jailbreak, one major one is I can't update apps from the app store without sending my phone into a freeze-respring loop. I can unlock it and notifications pop up but I can't switch pages without it getting stuck midway through changing and i can't open any app without kicking me back to the springboard. And then I've noticed a random app will be missing from my dock, and after the phone updates (usually this lasts an hour or so), my apps will be rearranged and some out of folders.

I'd love to restore and rejailbreak but last time I did that, this happened. So if anyone could provide reliable instructions on avoiding that, I will if that's the best solution to fixing my problem. Thanks!

tl;dr phone freezes when updating from app store, need instructions to properly restore without getting error 21

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Looks like it is goin into safemode

BTW error 21 means you where in recovery mode instead of DFU mode when you tried to restore.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I have an iPhone 4 jb'd on 5.0.1 with redsn0w. Among other problems I'm having with the jailbreak, one major one is I can't update apps from the app store without sending my phone into a freeze-respring loop. I can unlock it and notifications pop up but I can't switch pages without it getting stuck midway through changing and i can't open any app without kicking me back to the springboard. And then I've noticed a random app will be missing from my dock, and after the phone updates (usually this lasts an hour or so), my apps will be rearranged and some out of folders.

I'd love to restore and rejailbreak but last time I did that, this happened. So if anyone could provide reliable instructions on avoiding that, I will if that's the best solution to fixing my problem. Thanks!

tl;dr phone freezes when updating from app store, need instructions to properly restore without getting error 21

These are the classic issues that occur when trying to use cracked apps with 5.0.1 and iTunes.
Is this your issue ?

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope, this has been occurring since I rejailbroke. Admittedly I have a cracked jb app installed but these issues have been lasting far longer since I installed it. All other jb apps (perpagehtml+, LockInfo, gridlock, et al) installed were paid for.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I recommend doing a clean restore while Apple still signs 5.0.1, choose set up as new.
Immediately after restore, do your jailbreak, then test the phone.

Also, for the cleanest restore/jailbreak, do not restore the phone to any backup,. More time but gives a trouble free jailbreak.

Again, that behavior is common with having cracked apps, so I recommend getting rid of it and buy it.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Before doing a restore from new, is there anything I need to do? Or will simply plugging my phone in and clickin restore from new do the trick?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Before doing a restore from new, is there anything I need to do? Or will simply plugging my phone in and clickin restore from new do the trick?

Backup in iTunes so you can restore contacts, music, calendar, apps (or you may be using iCloud)

Make note of any other settings, tweaks, personalizations you want to re-install.

Note that by not restoring to backup, you will lose your SMS threads, but you can open them back up if you have their phone numbers recorded.

Oh yea, and to restore, your host file must be pointed at Apple, not Cydia (Use TinyUmbrella, AdvancedTab to uncheck point host file at Cydia)

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I'm experiencing this again. I have about 20 apps waiting to be updated in the App Store, and I have to do 2 or 3 at a time so my phone doesn't freeze. Any one else experiencing this?

iPhone 4, jailbroken with redsn0w. iOS 5.0.1

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
I believe I found at least one reason this may be happening. I noticed the apps that were causing my phone to freeze and go into a boot loop were inside a folder that were inside another folder. After slowly getting to that app (phone lags a bunch), I moved the folder out to the spring board, and voila, the app began to update immediately and I was swiping back and forth without issue.

Maybe this will help someone else with this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.