Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Is is possible to stream mkv from Mac to ATV2 with SeasonsPass?

Thanks

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
Is is possible to stream mkv from Mac to ATV2 with SeasonsPass?

Thanks

Not with seasonpass alone. since you already jail broke with seasonpass, get the atv flash (black) sw from the same company - firecore.

one of the features on atv flash is "media". setup sharing on your mac, and then you can stream your video files, including mkv format.

Aloha!

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks yeah I installed Flash Black and also see other media players like Plex and Xbmc. Why do they include those media players if you can just use the native media sharing?

Which method is best for streaming mkv? Flash Black? Plex? Xbmc? All my mkvs are 1080p. Will this be a problem?

EDIT* So I'm in the Add Share menu of Flash Black Media Player services and it sees my Mini and MacBook. Problem is my movies are on external drives connected to my Mini. How can I access these 1080p movies?

EDIT* Worked! After I entered my Mini's p/w & username it automatically connected my external HDs! SeasonsPAss & Flash Black are amazing. Holy crap. Flash Black has even retrieved the correct IMDB info for the mkv files. Wow!

EDIT* OMG, it plays 1080p WITH subtitles! No glitches are stuttering. Smooth as silk. This has got to be better than any other media server solution around. I just clicked one button to jailbreak another to install Flash Black and that's it. Can't frikkin' believe how easy this was.

Last edited:

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
SeasonsPass is just the jailbreaking tool.

You don't have to play for ATVflash, you can use Plex, XBMC, Media PLeyer for free to stream your local media.

OR

You can buy ATVFlash and use theirs build in media client.

The options is yours

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
EDIT* OMG, it plays 1080p WITH subtitles! No glitches are stuttering. Smooth as silk. This has got to be better than any other media server solution around. I just clicked one button to jailbreak another to install Flash Black and that's it. Can't frikkin' believe how easy this was.

ATV2 can't output 1080. Sorry to burst your bubble.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Such a party pooper!... let the guy enjoy his 720 Transcoding... ;)

lol ok so it's transcoding. Sure looks good though. I still need the 1080p for my new 27" Apple display. On that display it's easy to see the diff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.