Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevGibs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Hey guys,

Think I've got to the root of problems with my iMac freezing on startup, more than likely is a graphics card issue.

Looking up my model online it looks like it comes with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB card, but I've seen a NVIDIA 7300 GT 128mb for cheaper so I can at least test it. Would this card work in this machine?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can only swap Intell iMac video cards with iMacs of the same model. In your case, only other aluminum 20" and 24" iMacs. Unless that card came in an iMac of that model, it won't work.

KevGibs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
You can only swap Intell iMac video cards with iMacs of the same model. In your case, only other aluminum 20" and 24" iMacs. Unless that card came in an iMac of that model, it won't work.

Right, thanks. Looks like there are only really 3 models of card that will work then, 2 ATI cards and the NVIDIA it ships with.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I suggest staying away from the ATI cards. Ther are lots of people including myself having problems with 10.6.7 and newer freezing with the ATI cards.

Tutone

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
no problems here

No problems with my 24" iMac ATI 2600 Pro with Lion or Mountain Lion runs flawlessly.

Oldmactech

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Double check that video card

I think that 7300 is for the 2006 imac, likely not compatible.

I don't want to necessarily encourage you to do this but i've had good luck reflowing those 8800 video cards in the oven. There is a video on how to do it on youtube and so far I'm 3for3 in success (still working a year later).
Not for the faint of heart and does require some specialized tools and sone skills.

Alternative is Blue Raven tech in Philly. You can send your card in for reflow, less than $200 if I recall. Might take two weeks.

Good luck.

Jb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.