Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:26 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Reportedly Developing High-Definition Audio Format with 'Adaptive Streaming'

The Guardian reports that Apple is currently working on a new audio format that could allow the company to offer "high definition" audio via iTunes. The format would also integrate an "adaptive streaming" component that would allow music being accessed from iCloud and iTunes Match by portable devices to be automatically adapted to fit bandwidth or storage constraints.
Quote:
Apple is working on a new audio file format that will offer "adaptive streaming" to provide high- or low-quality files to users of its iCloud service. [...]

The new system would adjust itself to the bandwidth and storage available on the receiving device.

It is believed that Apple will use the new file type to upgrade its iTunes Match service, which allows users to re-download music from iCloud to their Apple devices.
According to the report's source, Apple has asked one London music studio to prepare audio files in the new format, which would allow Apple to instantly and automatically improve the quality of iTunes Match content. The source is unclear, however, on whether Apple would transcode the higher-quality files on the fly to match a given bandwidth/hardware setup or if it would simply maintain several versions of the track at different qualities and serve the most appropriate one for a given situation.

Given the timing of Apple's work, the source suggests that the company is likely preparing the new format for a demonstration at its iPad media event rumored for next Wednesday, March 7.

The new report comes less than a month after Neil Young revealed that he had worked with Steve Jobs on a high-definition music format for the iTunes Store but that "not much" had ended up happening with the effort. Apple has also recently begun a significant expansion of its Mastered for iTunes program. The initiative encourages recording professionals to utilize high-quality master recordings of songs and albums as the initial source material for iTunes Store submission, processing them using Apple's guidelines and tools to achieve file compression allowing for the highest-quality sound available.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Developing High-Definition Audio Format with 'Adaptive Streaming'
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:32 AM   #2
1080p
macrumors 68000

Because I need the highest quality sound for Apple's craptacular earbuds that come with all of their products...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Kilamite
macrumors G3

When this comes out, I'll definitely get iTunes Match.

Home Cinema systems are becoming more and more popular in households, so it isn't just audiophiles that'll appreciate this, as the average Joe will probably be able to notice the difference.
Kilamite is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:33 AM   #4
mmcxiiad
macrumors regular

This would be great. Having a higher quality audio is always better.

Although now with the 64GB iPhone i was just starting to think I could carry a majority of my music... looks like I'll have to decide which is better more music or higher bitrate...

... giveth and  taketh.
mmcxiiad is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:34 AM   #5
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
A better compression scheme is always welcome. Can't wait to hear it.
JHankwitz is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Tinyluph
macrumors regular

I'm confused. Does this mean you'll need iTunes Match to get higher quality audio?
Tinyluph is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyluph View Post
I'm confused. Does this mean you'll need iTunes Match to get higher quality audio?
I imagine it would be exclusive to iTunes Match to begin with, then trickle into the store for everyone.
Kilamite is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:37 AM   #8
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Will it be dubbed iVinyl?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:37 AM   #9
cjbryce
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Because I need the highest quality sound for Apple's craptacular earbuds that come with all of their products...
Because I'd like the highest quality sound for plugging iPods/iPhones into my high-end home system, and even my high-ish end car system when I can't be bothered changing CDs.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:37 AM   #10
mmcxiiad
macrumors regular

Quote:
The one thing I never take out of the box is the included headphones. Not only do I think they sound bad, but they are very uncomfortable to me.

Personally, the best headphones I have used for daily use are the bose mie2i. I am not a bose fan, but these are really nice headphones. They have the iPhone controls, and they stay in your ears really well. Another thing that I like about them, is I am still able to hear things going on around me - these don't block out all sound. Which makes it possible to still be a little social.

these are not good for total sound isolation.
mmcxiiad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Please just natively support at least 24/96 with Airplay / the AppleTV2/3....
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:40 AM   #12
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Can't wait for this, hope it's true!
kjs862 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Dan--
macrumors regular

A step in the right direction. I'm still not sure why a new format is needed though, when ALAC is staring at everyone straight in the face.

Maybe for variable bandwidth streaming perhaps?
Dan-- is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:41 AM   #14
dashiel
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if this is finally the commercial introduction of AAC-HD, which allows for an lossy AAC core scalable up to lossless.

Quote:
Actually if you wear them the way they were designed to be worn they’re perfectly adequate, most people don’t though. If you look at the original earbuds they had a headband, the earbud sat in the ear very differently. If you emulate that with the iPod/iPhone earbuds you get a much better experience.

Last edited by dashiel; Feb 28, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
dashiel is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:43 AM   #15
MattG
macrumors 68040

Make this happen Apple!
MattG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Foxer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
Please just natively support at least 24/96 with Airplay / the AppleTV2/3....

Exactly. And on iPods, too.

"I'll buy almost anything if it is shiny and made by Apple."
Foxer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:45 AM   #17
Hardtimes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiel View Post
Actually if you wear them the way they were designed to be worn they’re perfectly adequate, most people don’t though.
You're holding it wrong
Hardtimes is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:46 AM   #18
stordoff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiel View Post
I wonder if this is finally the commercial introduction of AAC-HD, which allows for an lossy AAC core scalable up to lossless.
I've been hoping for a while that Apple implement this. It's an ideal replacement for the "Convert to 128kbps" option when syncing - you have the full lossless audio for iTunes and in-home streaming, and the 128-256kbps core for portable devices.
stordoff is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:46 AM   #19
Zoddino
macrumors member

I have a feeling this is going to be about HD-AAC

http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/bf/a...ocodecs/hdaac/
Zoddino is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:48 AM   #20
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Ready to demonstrate in 8 days

I love this idea, but I really doubt that they would be able to show this off already.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:48 AM   #21
Ciclismo
macrumors 6502a

What good will this do if the Loudness War continues regardless? HD crap-tastic sound?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:48 AM   #22
mrholder
macrumors regular

And just when I got a refund for itunes match. The resetting of play counts to 0 and randomly erasing last played info just bugged me too much. The sound quality of the files is already amazing, though. Can't imagine what it will be like with the new format for match.
mrholder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:49 AM   #23
sammich
macrumors 601

So is this something like how HTTP Live Streaming works? The client can select the bitrate of the next portion of the media?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:50 AM   #24
d0vr
macrumors 6502a

I have been waiting for this for a long time. The concept of storing a flac or other high quality format file for home use and an mp3 always annoyed me. Being able to use one format that works for both in an iTunes library would be fantastic!!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:52 AM   #25
cameronjpu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The source is unclear, however, on whether Apple would transcode the higher-quality files on the fly to match a given bandwidth/hardware setup or if it would simply maintain several versions of the track at different qualities and serve the most appropriate one for a given situation.
Storage is cheap and simple, while adaptive transcoding is complicated and costly. Clearly they would do the former.
cameronjpu is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion