Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Because I need the highest quality sound for Apple's craptacular earbuds that come with all of their products... :p

Yes, because adaptive streaming is all about storing high quality music everywhere. Think high quality at home, low-fi on the move.

gjwfoasfsaevg

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
Everyone who hopes for lossless, 94 kHz or 24 bit audio, stop dreaming. This is about converting audio to lower bitrates (e.g. HE-AAC with 64-128 kBit/s) for 3G streaming.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
The source is unclear, however, on whether Apple would transcode the higher-quality files on the fly to match a given bandwidth/hardware setup or if it would simply maintain several versions of the track at different qualities and serve the most appropriate one for a given situation.

Why would it matter to us? This is an implementation detail. the end result is the same either way.

(Apple would care, of course, and my guess is they would cache common variants.)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'll take any lossless codec, but why cant apple just use FLAC (it's royalty free after all)?!

http://www.stereophile.com/features/308mp3cd

Why would Apple use FLAC when it already supports ALAC? And I think Apple doesn't care that much whether it's royalty free, but does it come without license restrictions?

Yes, because adaptive streaming is all about storing high quality music everywhere. Think high quality at home, low-fi on the move.

At the moment, if you have 256 KBit AAC and want 128 KBit AAC on your iPod, iTunes will convert the 256 KBit AAC to uncompressed, and then to 128 KBit AAC. This is slow, takes a lot of CPU time (not good for the batteries on the move), and is lower quality than going from CD to 128 KBit directly. What would be great would be a format that contains the "original" 128 KBit AAC and then additional data on top to improve quality, so that the 128 KBit AAC can be extracted directly at very little cost, and with maximum quality.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Why would it matter to us? This is an implementation detail. the end result is the same either way.

(Apple would care, of course, and my guess is they would cache common variants.)

Why it matters to us: If it's developed so it's one file that any computer can convert to a lower bitrate "on the fly", it means our own copies of iTunes can store it for streaming in our own homes.

I'm not going to download something from Apples servers every time I want to listen to a song in my own home. But I'd sure love to set up an iTunes server with this capability. iTunes on my computers would access the library on the server and sync low quality versions of the song to my devices, whilst letting me stream high quality versions around the home.

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
Why would Apple use FLAC when it already supports ALAC? And I think Apple doesn't care that much whether it's royalty free, but does it come without license restrictions?

From http://flac.sourceforge.net/license.html, it's clear that licensing should be a problem.

The FLAC and Ogg FLAC formats themselves, and their specifications, are fully open to the public to be used for any purpose (the FLAC project reserves the right to set the FLAC specification and certify compliance). They are free for commercial or noncommercial use. That means that commercial developers may independently write FLAC or Ogg FLAC software which is compatible with the specifications for no charge and without restrictions of any kind. There are no licensing fees or royalties of any kind for use of the formats or their specifications, or for distributing, selling, or streaming media in the FLAC or Ogg FLAC formats.

The FLAC project also makes available software that implements the formats, which is distributed according to Open Source licenses as follows:

The reference implementation libraries are licensed under the New BSD License. In simple terms, these libraries may be used by any application, Open or proprietary, linked or incorporated in whole, so long as acknowledgement is made to Xiph.org Foundation when using the source code in whole or in derived works.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
I could be wrong, but I thought this was already released. I am listening right now to the new Phillip Glass album (don't judge me) that was mastered for itunes.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
It's a cool technology and I like that apple is looking to change up the audio format world. But will this will be a game changer?

I purchased the match series but found I'm not a fan of the 256 audio because it takes up too much space on my MBA and phone.

I went back to my >160VBR and haven't looked back.

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008

Some other links about their encoders, if you didn't think to poke around on their site:
They do define an easy to downgrade methodology by simply dropping SLS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_SLS

Last edited:

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Yes please. While the 256Kbps AAC's are great...when I am in my car and trying to listen to something off of iCloud I get too many pauses when 3G reception is not stellar.

I am willing to sacrifice some quality for a smooth listening experience. Also since everyone else already down-samples when on a slower connection.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I could be wrong, but I thought this was already released. I am listening right now to the new Phillip Glass album (don't judge me) that was mastered for itunes.
Different things all together - mastered for iTunes is simply about getting Apple the original master files and following their guidelines on preparing your files for inclusion in iTunes. This new thing is about higher quality music - think the difference between standard TV and HDTV and you're on the right track, only more subtle to the majority of people.

new Phillip Glass album (don't judge me)
What is there to judge? Philip Glass is a highly respected composer. He's not for everyone, but then most truly innovative and intriguing music isn't.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
At the moment, if you have 256 KBit AAC and want 128 KBit AAC on your iPod, iTunes will convert the 256 KBit AAC to uncompressed, and then to 128 KBit AAC. This is slow, takes a lot of CPU time (not good for the batteries on the move), and is lower quality than going from CD to 128 KBit directly. What would be great would be a format that contains the "original" 128 KBit AAC and then additional data on top to improve quality, so that the 128 KBit AAC can be extracted directly at very little cost, and with maximum quality.

Personally I'd much prefer a lossless format that can convert to a lossy file efficiently. If this isn't it then oh well, maybe next time the magic will reappear. I've always though HD meant lossless, but based on the responses here it seems I'm mistaken.

Edit: Unless @gnasher729 you are meaning that the core is 128 AAC, and extra data can be added to convert it up to ALAC as is suggested below by @Diode? In which case, very cool and exactly what we need.

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Doing anything like this for iTunes match is pointless until they make HUGE improvements in the matching algorithm and fix the other bugs with Match. Nested playlists broken, smart playlist limits broken, last played and playcount broken on iOS, genius broken, ability to manually sync removed, very inconsistent performance with matching, tags, etc.

Right now tons of albums match all but one or two tracks. Offering a higher quality format is a great idea but until Match is fixed it's just going to make the bugs more obvious.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'll take any lossless codec, but why cant apple just use FLAC (it's royalty free after all)?!

Why would Apple use FLAC when it already supports ALAC? And I think Apple doesn't care that much whether it's royalty free, but does it come without license restrictions?....

ALAC is also open source and free to licenses.:eek: Apple opened up ALAC late last year.;)

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Some other links about their encoders, if you didn't think to poke around on their site:
They do define an easy to downgrade methodology by simply dropping SLS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_SLS

That's kinda cool - so you have one file with a core AAC file with two chunks of information on how to turn the core AAC into either a higher def file or a completely lossless file? Then depending on the playback - you either include the additional chunks of information or just the core file?

Seems similiar to how DTS-HD files contain a core DTS file to support older receivers.

Attachments

• sls-big_tcm183-40805.gif
    sls-big_tcm183-40805.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
why?

With all due respect, what the heck do we need another audio format for? It's insanity. 256kbps AAC is already good enough - good enough that the format's quality exceeds that of the playback capabilities of any of Apple's products (which are less than spectacular by the way). Any of the compressed formats stream just fine.

If you are using a Mac (or PC) with optical audio outputs, then there is uncompressed (AIFF) or Apple Lossless (ALAC) audio for environments where you might actually be able to tell the difference.

And we all know what happened with SACD and HDCD formats - they failed, miserably. Apparently 16bit digital audio (standard CD) is more than good enough for humans (those claiming otherwise are nuts - human hearing tapers off after 15kHz). Dogs may have a different opinion...

So, why on earth do we need yet another format?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.