Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
windows-8-consumer-preview1-580x373.jpg

As you may or may not know, the Consumer Preview (a.k.a beta) arrives tomorrow. The 64-bit ISO weighing in at around 3GB.

Who is excited to see what it'll be like? Who here will download it and try? What levels will you go? VMware? Bootcamp?

Let's discuss what we look forward to about it, what we hope will be there. Or what we dislike about it, and wish wasn't there.

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
I've had the Dev Preview for awhile now and it's pretty bad.

I'm hoping (and expecting) this will be better.

I'll download it and play around for a bit.

I usually run it through Parallels.

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
Hell yeah. I got a Windows 8 partition left over that is waiting to be used for an OS instead of media storage. Im debating writing a basic app in my free time for it too, but I only have some basic C skills so it will be a learning experience for sure.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; TITAN X310e))

Looking forward to giving Metro a whirl on the desktop.

I have a spare 160gb HDD I'll whack on my second PC to give it a try on.

I wonder how well MS's servers will handle distributing it?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; TITAN X310e))

For me the Windows 7 beta was stable enough for my primary OS, as most of what I do isnt exactly taxing work-wise (I speak of importance, not system taxing-wise)

I will over-write my Windows 7 installation with this. Generally Microsofts servers have proved that they can take a hammering and still power through, so I'm optimistic.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

Benjy91 said:

For me the Windows 7 beta was stable enough for my primary OS, as most of what I do isnt exactly taxing work-wise (I speak of importance, not system taxing-wise)

I will over-write my Windows 7 installation with this. Generally Microsofts servers have proved that they can take a hammering and still power through, so I'm optimistic.

I really fell in love with Windows 7 during the public Beta before so I'm hoping to do the same all over again. If it is stable enough, there is nothing stopping me putting it on my main rig but it will be on a separate HDD.

I have things running just how I want them now and don't want to put that at risk at all! :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The changes to Windows Media Center were what convinced me to get my copy of Windows 7 at launch. I really need a new laptop to play around with Metro. The expiration of the Customer Preview will give us a better sign for the potential final launch date.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm looking forward but I'm rather concerned that the metro UI is not going to work too well on a desktop as opposed to a tablet or phone.

I'll be downloading it and trying it out, but the last time I d/l a windows beta from MS, it took a long time

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm not excited about it because I'll get spammed by friends and coworkers (who know just enough to be dangerous) that will put it on their computers and ask how to use it, or why such and such program doesn't work on it.

Working in IT isn't very fun when new operating systems (preview or not) get released.

Not to mention I have no use for Windows so its not something I'm concerned with but its good for those who are looking forward to it.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
I'll probably lurking in the forums tomorrow to make sure no one else has any problems using it in Boot Camp before I do away with the DP and install the consumer preview on another partition. Made my back-ups, just in case, lol.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm not excited about it because I'll get spammed by friends and coworkers (who know just enough to be dangerous) that will put it on their computers and ask how to use it, or why such and such program doesn't work on it.

Working in IT isn't very fun when new operating systems (preview or not) get released.

Not to mention I have no use for Windows so its not something I'm concerned with but its good for those who are looking forward to it.

Chin up dude. Its only a new OS, a decent one at that hopefully. (Although that would mean the break of the Microsoft OS pattern.) Its not the end of the world if people ask you questions. Just don't reply or say you don't know.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Chin up dude. Its only a new OS, a decent one at that hopefully. (Although that would mean the break of the Microsoft OS pattern.) Its not the end of the world if people ask you questions. Just don't reply or say you don't know.

Work in IT....

No I mean it, work in IT. **** is bleak when a new OS comes round.

Windows 8:
NOPE.jpg

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well I think you're all being a bit over dramatic about it tbh.
I place new OS support on the back burner for a while. People can install it on their personal machines but the office ones are locked down. Now that does not mean that I do not have my own test machines.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Over 70 emails about the new OS (and I know its on peoples personal machines since our test lab doesn't even have the new version yet) that I have to reply with a "No I won't help you" to and 20+ Facebook messages from friends about it.

Not chin up for me anytime soon :p

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Over 70 emails about the new OS (and I know its on peoples personal machines since our test lab doesn't even have the new version yet) that I have to reply with a "No I won't help you" to and 20+ Facebook messages from friends about it.

Remain miserable then. I don't think any amount of junk mail for facebook requests will alter my mood, especially over something as materialistic as an OS release. And as a published author I get plenty (not about OS releases though). Maybe I'm just not of the same wavelength and I'm failing to understand.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

roadbloc said:

Remain miserable then. I don't think any amount of junk mail for facebook requests will alter my mood, especially over something as materialistic as an OS release. And as a published author I get plenty (not about OS releases though). Maybe I'm just not of the same wavelength and I'm failing to understand.

I'd simply reply with "Working fine on my machine.

Sent from Windows 8 Consumer Preview".

I don't mind helping people with computer issues but when they start taking the piss, they're on their own.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Anyway I can install this with Bootcamp without a CD? I would like to give this a try but don't really want to buy VMware/Parallels. And my DVD drive is dead.

EDIT: Nevermind, so I can install it from a flash drive. Too bad I don't have a 4GB one. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.