Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:49 AM   #1
RivotrilWorks
macrumors newbie

I am from Brazil, new to Mac, and need help with config specs, plus producing music.

Please, read this with care, its very important, you will help an person who really wants to learn and really needs help.

Introducing myself:

Hi, my name is Rodrigo,

I am from Brazil, and my english is not very good, since i learned it by myself. (or at least tried)
So, sorry for any language mistakes.

I am 29 years old.
I have bachelor's degree at computer cience, and worked all my life with Windows and Linux OS.

I love music too mutch and i have been playing classic guitar since i was 9 years old.
check at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh-AE4ksPCk

I aways wanted to learn how to produce music using a computer. But...

Here in Brazil, tecnology is something that is is very expensive in comparasion with other countries like USA and UK, because our goverment taxes are too high, for imported equipment. (more than 60% of the product value in taxes).

Indeed i can say i have a very good life condition in comparasion with the Brazilian standards population.

My actual PC have the following specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M487TD/USB3
Processor: Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600mhz Corsair XMS3 Kit
Graphic Card: XFX ATI Radeon 6870
Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda, 1TB, Sata II, 32mb Buffer
Case: CoolerMaster Haf 932
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Xt775-W
Display: Samsung SyncMaster T220M

Well... Since i really wanted to start learning to produce music, i bought an Macbook Pro 13-inch model. (2011 version)

Specs:
Processor: 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor with 3MB shared L3 cache
Memory: 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB
Graphic Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
Hard Disk: 500GB - 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Display: 13-inch LED, native resolution 1280 by 800

I know its not an amazing hardware spec, but i considered the following when buying it.

1- I already have a very good PC for general purposes
2- I never used a Mac, so for first time experience and learning purposes seens ok to me (wrong?)
3- It is small, and i can carry inside my bag comfortably, since i like to work at public places like coffee shops
4- Macbooks are very expensive here in Brazil. Most of people here can't buy one, so to give you an idea, i bought this Macbook pro(new) for R$ 3.600,00 (My current country currency). If i convert this to U$ dollars, i paid like U$ 1.900,00. (expensive?).

I REALLY want to learn to produce music using Mac OS.

Since i am new to this, i considered to start using garageband. So yesterday, i started to mess with GB and after a few minutes, i lost myself on time, i felt an extreme feeling of happiness and euphory for beeing able to express my music feelings.

After a few hours on my first experience using GB, i finally made this http://soundcloud.com/rodrigo-morelli/learning
I know it is crap stuff, but the most importat thing to consider here is the way i felt working on it.

My next step after learning more about garageband is to buy Logic Pro 9, and start an course.

What worries me is if my Macbook pro 13-inch will be able to run well the Logic Pro 9, and if so, if it helps to connect my 22' LCD display when i am producing at home.

There is someone who wants to be my friend here, and maybe give me some lessons, advices, or provide me some material to study?

Thats it.

I am very sorry for the long topic, but i think it was necessary.

Thank you very mutch.

Regards
Rodrigo Morelli
RivotrilWorks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

"My next step after learning more about garageband is to buy Logic Pro 9, and start an course.
What worries me is if my Macbook pro 13-inch will be able to run well the Logic Pro 9, and if so, if it helps to connect my 22' LCD display when i am producing at home."

You aren't locked into using Logic, and there is at least one other program out there I think is far better -- "Cubase". The "full version" of Cubase is expensive, you don't need it. Instead, I'd recommend "Cubase Essentials". Some interfaces come bundled with "CubaseLE" which works fine, too (that's what I use).

You will also need an audio interface if you don't have one yet. There was a time when having a firewire interface was the best way to go, but I've found that firewire has become difficult and unpredictable on my own MacBook Pro. I'd suggest one of the newer USB2 interfaces if you're primary needs will be recording classical guitar.

And choose your microphones carefully -- very easy to waste money on the wrong ones!
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:05 PM   #3
RivotrilWorks
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
"My next step after learning more about garageband is to buy Logic Pro 9, and start an course.
What worries me is if my Macbook pro 13-inch will be able to run well the Logic Pro 9, and if so, if it helps to connect my 22' LCD display when i am producing at home."

You aren't locked into using Logic, and there is at least one other program out there I think is far better -- "Cubase". The "full version" of Cubase is expensive, you don't need it. Instead, I'd recommend "Cubase Essentials". Some interfaces come bundled with "CubaseLE" which works fine, too (that's what I use).

You will also need an audio interface if you don't have one yet. There was a time when having a firewire interface was the best way to go, but I've found that firewire has become difficult and unpredictable on my own MacBook Pro. I'd suggest one of the newer USB2 interfaces if you're primary needs will be recording classical guitar.

And choose your microphones carefully -- very easy to waste money on the wrong ones!
Thanks for the advice...
But indeed, what i have in mind, is not to recording classical guitar.

What i want to do is:

1- First, start getting instrument samplers that i can edit to make the melody using piano roll. But also i want some kind of plugin to change the sound effects of it. Is this possible?

2- In a near future, i want to try to record some sound, from strange stuff to real instruments, and adjust it, to make my own samplers. Also to add as piano roll and edit inside the program to make melody.

Got it?

In this case, do i need an audio interface to start?

Cause i dont have a keyboard interface, so what i am doing on garageband is recording only one note, and after this, adding and adjusting the same note in the piano roll. Kinda hard work, but i was reading over the internet and seens that i can use my own macbook keyboard as a imput to help me when recording.

Thanks a lot

I really need help, i am here for serious.
RivotrilWorks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:52 PM   #4
zimv20
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivotrilWorks View Post

1- First, start getting instrument samplers that i can edit to make the melody using piano roll. But also i want some kind of plugin to change the sound effects of it. Is this possible?
you want a midi keyboard, something like this. that will allow you to record midi commands in GB or Logic, then choose the software instrument that makes the sound. you can change the sound later if you'd like.

Quote:
2- In a near future, i want to try to record some sound, from strange stuff to real instruments, and adjust it, to make my own samplers.
yes, you need an interface. the number of channels depends on how many mics you want to hook up at once. there are a number of 2-channel interfaces on the market that will work with both GB and Logic, and others.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:45 PM   #5
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivotrilWorks View Post
Please, read this with care, its very important, you will help an person who really wants to learn and really needs help.

Introducing myself:

Hi, my name is Rodrigo,

I am from Brazil, and my english is not very good, since i learned it by myself. (or at least tried)
So, sorry for any language mistakes.

I am 29 years old.
I have bachelor's degree at computer cience, and worked all my life with Windows and Linux OS.

I love music too mutch and i have been playing classic guitar since i was 9 years old.
check at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh-AE4ksPCk

I aways wanted to learn how to produce music using a computer. But...

Here in Brazil, tecnology is something that is is very expensive in comparasion with other countries like USA and UK, because our goverment taxes are too high, for imported equipment. (more than 60% of the product value in taxes).

Indeed i can say i have a very good life condition in comparasion with the Brazilian standards population.

My actual PC have the following specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M487TD/USB3
Processor: Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600mhz Corsair XMS3 Kit
Graphic Card: XFX ATI Radeon 6870
Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda, 1TB, Sata II, 32mb Buffer
Case: CoolerMaster Haf 932
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Xt775-W
Display: Samsung SyncMaster T220M

Well... Since i really wanted to start learning to produce music, i bought an Macbook Pro 13-inch model. (2011 version)

Specs:
Processor: 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor with 3MB shared L3 cache
Memory: 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB
Graphic Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
Hard Disk: 500GB - 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Display: 13-inch LED, native resolution 1280 by 800

I know its not an amazing hardware spec, but i considered the following when buying it.

1- I already have a very good PC for general purposes
2- I never used a Mac, so for first time experience and learning purposes seens ok to me (wrong?)
3- It is small, and i can carry inside my bag comfortably, since i like to work at public places like coffee shops
4- Macbooks are very expensive here in Brazil. Most of people here can't buy one, so to give you an idea, i bought this Macbook pro(new) for R$ 3.600,00 (My current country currency). If i convert this to U$ dollars, i paid like U$ 1.900,00. (expensive?).

I REALLY want to learn to produce music using Mac OS.

Since i am new to this, i considered to start using garageband. So yesterday, i started to mess with GB and after a few minutes, i lost myself on time, i felt an extreme feeling of happiness and euphory for beeing able to express my music feelings.

After a few hours on my first experience using GB, i finally made this http://soundcloud.com/rodrigo-morelli/learning
I know it is crap stuff, but the most importat thing to consider here is the way i felt working on it.

My next step after learning more about garageband is to buy Logic Pro 9, and start an course.

What worries me is if my Macbook pro 13-inch will be able to run well the Logic Pro 9, and if so, if it helps to connect my 22' LCD display when i am producing at home.

There is someone who wants to be my friend here, and maybe give me some lessons, advices, or provide me some material to study?

Thats it.

I am very sorry for the long topic, but i think it was necessary.

Thank you very mutch.

Regards
Rodrigo Morelli
Hi Rodrigo,

Please check your PM!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
BigRed1
macrumors regular

I am a fan of Logic. I like its interface and included instruments, effects, etc. There are a few things that I like about Cubase better, but not enough to justify what it costs and giving up all of the great included stuff with Logic.

I think that Logic Pro will run just fine on your machine. I'm running Logic Studio on a 9 year old PowerMac G5 and doing just fine. The basic engine and components haven't changed that much and a newer machine will run laps around mine.
BigRed1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
alq
macrumors member

Hi Rodrigo,

Where in Brazil do you live? I'm not Brasileiro, but I live in Curitiba.
If you are close, I could show you some things, since I am using Logic
already for a couple of years.
For the hardware - it's fine. It will run Logic very well.
I am using a Mac Mini Server i7 as my main Logic machine, but also using
a 13" Macbook Pro (same as yours, but with 8GB of RAM) on the go.
To be honest, I've never ever opened Garage Band and I directly jumped into Logic.
Anyhow, maybe it's also worth to have a look on Ableton Live.

abraço

alq.
alq is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio