Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loveapple89776

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
Movies - iTunes in the Cloud

Surely Apple needs to expand their iTunes in the Cloud functionality to include the re-download of movies.

Once this is added, being able to stream purchased movies on the appleTV from your account, got to be the logical step to take.
No need to have a computer running, or hard-drive spaced filled with movies.

Obviously though, this is entirely down to licensing issues.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You're dreaming! :D

I'd like some more apps. Maybe BBC iPlayer etc.

Unfortunately wont happen. Apple have shown that with the ATV they only care about the US. As it stands the Apple TV is currently just a 'ticket' to watch iTuned content outside the US.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
One thing I hope to see is for the ATV3 to switch framerates like even commodity-level blu-ray players can do. Movies at 24 fps do not look right at 30 fps. Whatever frame voodoo (pulldown?) the ATV2 is doing to display my 24 fps .mp4 br rips at 30 fps leaves the image with -- how to describe it? Sort of a semi-jitter, like watching something on the wrong resolution or something, just ruining the immersion. At least it's not a horrible judder like the various TVs' "smooth motion" modes do. But I have all that turned off and it's still noticeable. Fix this, Apple! It should be a software fix only, after all!

loveapple89776

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
Would definitely be happy to see 3rd party apps.

I'm not too bothered about an app store filled with garbage though. More a way for your obvious TV apps, BBC iPlayer, 4od, SKY go, etc.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Will AirPlay Mirroring in Mountain Lion allow for any type of video playback on the Apple TV? For example, if I play an .avi on my Mac would I be able to view it on my TV?

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
1080p content would be nice. I would prefer 7.1 channel lossless audio. (I will admit, I prefer 6.2. What is with the lack of a back channel?)

WiFi bandwidth limitation. That would be one big saturation though it would be very very sweet. :)

akira2501

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2008
damn

apple is gonna take all my money. I am so on top of that new apple tv 1080p was the only thing holding me back. Gonna get the ipad 3 maybe a refurb air and a mini.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I know this is lame, but it'd be nice to buy either a white or black one. But I'll probably buy a black one since all of my tv/entertainment section is all black. I wouldn't mind an even smaller Apple TV 3

No - it needs to be the same size, so that I can replace it without my wife noticing!

----------

Will AirPlay Mirroring in Mountain Lion allow for any type of video playback on the Apple TV? For example, if I play an .avi on my Mac would I be able to view it on my TV?

As far as I know - this is what makes it such A Great Thing.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
WiFi bandwidth limitation. That would be one big saturation though it would be very very sweet. :)

I agree. I would probably bring down the national backbone myself. That said, the only reason I currently use Blu-ray is the iTunes audio quality. I can't think of a realistic solution for downloaded content.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Apple will definately NOT include a USB port to stream movies without a separate computer. This defeats the entire purpose of the Apple TV.

The Apple TV is a device to display what is on your iPad, iPhone, computer or in the cloud (i.e. netflix, etc.). I want to have my 3 Apple TVs in the house behave the same, and I can't do that with different external hard drives plugged into it. If that is what you want, then the Apple TV isn't for you.

I expect a 1080p upgrade, with apps coming in June.

That's a bit backwards, my first gen Apple TV has USB...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Too late.

I discovered my PS3 does 1080i already, and transfers wireless from Mac to PS3 with software free online. Unless the AT3 does something more, something awesome, I will stay with the PS3.

If it has SIRI and they begin upgrading the iTunes store to have more at better prices and with higher resolution, allow an external drive maybe, I'd put down $99-$199 for the new ATV.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
This sucks

I just bought 2 of these a few months ago. :(

Anyone know if a software change would get the old ones up to 1080p?

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
How is that better than streaming from iTunes on a central computer?

If you stream from a central computer, you need a (preferably dedicated) central computer that stays on 24/7 365. Who wants to boot a computer each time they watch TV or listen to music?

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
That's a bit backwards, my first gen Apple TV has USB...

There's a USB port on the ATV2 as well.

----------

If you stream from a central computer, you need a (preferably dedicated) central computer that stays on 24/7 365. Who wants to boot a computer each time they watch TV or listen to music?

It also consumes a fair amount of energy and generates a lot of noise. However, my TC does as well.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
A new 1080p AppleTV and Retina Display iPad with AirPlay Mirroring capabilities? ...oh yeah! :D

I've got to admit, I'm curious to see how they're going to mirror 2048x1536 on a TV.

Otherwise, better codecs and DLNA support and I'm listening. 3D would be a nice bonus.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I just bought 2 of these a few months ago. :(

Anyone know if a software change would get the old ones up to 1080p?

Run Firecore on them. There's still going to be demand for the ATV 2 because the Jailbreak on them are stable. Don't worry your ATV will keep their value initially.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Run Firecore on them. There's still going to be demand for the ATV 2 because the Jailbreak on them are stable. Don't worry your ATV will keep their value initially.

You don't need to run firecore (it's 29€), just JB as per their website and install the software for free. The new version of PLEX is great.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
1080p would be nice, but what I really want is an :apple:TV which can act as the central host for my iTunes library so I can maintain it seamlessly across multiple computers.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Personally I hope if apple adds new software features then it is available for a software update for the atv2. I have no need for 1080p (I know saying I don't have a 1080p tv is like social suicide on a tech forum! But it's only for the office!)
I can't afford a new iPad 3 and a new apple tv! :p

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point

That would give you lots of new features, I don't think it would give you 1080p. Do you need to wait for an update each time Apple releases a patch for the ATV?

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
The press invitations did say 'see' and 'touch'

I think the touch part is the new iPad, and the see part means something to watch/look at/etc. as in ATV.

Just my guess, but I'm posting it now so I say I was right if that turns out to be the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.