Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Thomas Schlijper posts a stunning photo of the glass staircase at Apple's new Amsterdam retail store in the historic Hirsch building. The store, which opens to the public this Saturday, is Apple's first in the Netherlands.

amsterdam_store_staircase.jpg

Previously-revealed floor plans for the location show a large two-level store with a massive 20-seat Genius Bar extending along one wall of the first floor. In the weeks leading up to the opening, Apple has been concealing the store's interior with striking orange window coverings.

Article Link: Stunning Photo of Glass Staircase at Amsterdam Retail Store

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
That store looks amazing! As an aspiring architect this is the type of inspiring, beautiful building I want to create. Wow!

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I dunno, I admire the technology and engineering required to create stairs like this, but I also find it pretty gaudy.

In terms of safety, longevity, and maintenance, glass is really not a good material for things that people walk on or constantly stay in close proximity to.

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

The overseas stores are making the state-side stores look like dumps.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Yup...applying for this store haha :p

Great looking store! I can't wait to see photos of this 20 seat Genius Bar...

isoMorpheus

Jul 29, 2007
The photographer must have breached some contract. Though it is good to know that Apple hires locals photographers on these assignments.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
I dunno, I admire the technology and engineering required to create stairs like this, but I also find it pretty gaudy.

In terms of safety, longevity, and maintenance, glass is really not a good material for things that people walk on or constantly stay in close proximity to.

I'd like to know the basis for your research or data on glass, this specific glass if you have it, that confirms it is not good for "safety, longevity and maintenance" and even more, "things people walk on or constantly stay in close proximity to." Have you actually read background on the development of this glass? It was published some time ago.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion on the webs., like "it's gaudy"...just like sitting around a bar and having beers and everybody spouts their likes and dislikes...but the glass info? improving that?

flipperfeet

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA

What are you basing this observation on, the panes of glass in your house, the windshield in your car? Modern architectural glass couldn't be more different.

thegurio

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
Hobart
I personally would love to know the cost of just that staircase. As someone who cleans glass all day, every day, I couldn't find a more beautiful thing, but at what cost!

fesoj

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I imagine everyone using those stairs will be wearing pants?

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
From what I can see, the glass central cylinder column for the base support and and the outer panes is held by the several spiraling 2" thick glass stairs. It seems to support itself and gives an illusion of whats holding it together without falling.

I'm still marvelled on the level of engineering to create these glass staircases.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Soooo....beautiful!

ThomasSchlijper

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
Amsterdam, Netherlands
The photographer must have breached some contract. Though it is good to know that Apple hires locals photographers on these assignments.

Actually: Apple didn't hire me. Worse: Apple refused to host me at the press opening, for unknown reasons. Happily they uncovered the windows the day before the opening, that's how I could make this shot :)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I really appreciate the effort Apple put in to everything they do. Just walking into the Oxford Street store in London takes your breath away.

This Dutch store looks amazing.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Actually: Apple didn't hire me. Worse: Apple refused to host me at the press opening, for unknown reasons. Happily they uncovered the windows the day before the opening, that's how I could make this shot :)

Nice photo. Maybe Apple will take you more seriously now and get you at all openings :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.