Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late yesterday, we posted a remarkable photo of the glass staircase inside Apple's new Amsterdam retail store that is set to open to the public on Saturday. Press previews of the new store took place this morning, and a number of sources have now posted photo sets of the interior of the store.

amsterdam_store_interior_1.jpg

One More Thing has an extensive gallery [Google translation] showing off the rather ornate interior details Apple has utilized in the historic building.

amsterdam_store_interior_2.jpg

Meanwhile, iPhoneclub.nl has some additional shots [Google translation], including one of the massive Genius Bar that Apple reportedly says is the longest in its chain of retail stores. The Genius Bar had been reported to offer 20 seats for customers, but the photo certainly appears to show significantly more stools than that.

amsterdam_store_genius_bar.jpg

The new store, Apple's first in the Netherlands, opens to the public at 10:00 AM on Saturday. With Apple having updated its Apple Store app for iOS devices yesterday to add support for the Netherlands, customers at the Amsterdam store will be able to utilize the company's EasyPay self-checkout option from the very first day.

Article Link: Inside Apple's New Amsterdam Retail Store

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
The two Apple Stores I ever go to are just in malls. I wish my Apple Store was in some cool old building or something. :)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Looks very nice! Those light fixtures look great, and the atrium is somewhat reminiscent of the Covent Garden store.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I'm amazed they didn't wait a few days for the release of iPad 3. All the iPad 2s they have on display, that are showing info relating to other products, and in stock will go to waste surly?

Also, if you attempt to buy an iPad 2 now, does anyone in store warn you that a new one is likely to be announced next week?

codyc815

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
I'm amazed they didn't wait a few days for the release of iPad 3. All the iPad 2s they have on display, that are showing info relating to other products, and in stock will go to waste surly?

Also, if you attempt to buy an iPad 2 now, does anyone in store warn you that a new one is likely to be announced next week?

The release date for new products in other countries can take awhile, I'm not sure if the Netherlands is one of them, but I know some countries had to wait a month or two to get the iPad 2 after it was released.

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth

They will be sold as refurbished models, No.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I can't stand the glowing walls (second picture). I was at a US Apple Store, and the walls on both sides of the store were brightly lit by fluorescent light from within. Standing at any of the computers around the edge of the store gave me a headache, and I had to leave the store after 5 minutes.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
The release date for new products in other countries can take awhile, I'm not sure if the Netherlands is one of them, but I know some countries had to wait a month or two to get the iPad 2 after it was released.
I do know that the Netherlands almost always is in the first or second batch. I remember with the iPhone 3G, they were in the first batch. When the iPad 2 was released, they were in the second batch (two weeks after the US launch).

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
A great example of how beautiful a space can turn out with good design and respect for the original details. Most of the ornate moldings and architecture have been preserved/restored yet the interior still looks very modern and clean.

Usually, most retailers including Apple are very quick to gut whatever space they move in to evoke the aesthetic of their "brand". This doesn't matter in places like malls which are designed to be stripped out but I've seen so many retailers rip out marble, tin ceilings, and other detailing to put in cheap but modern looking finishes. I'm glad Apple was compelled to do the right thing here.

Mausse

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Yes Yes

Finally in my home town, call me a happy camper.....in line for the Ipad 3

:D:D:D:D:D

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
I was last year for the first time in an Apple Store, it was in Houston Galleria. It was like all the employees were on a kind of drug. Never saw such enthusiastic personel. I'm never so enthusiastic in the store where i work. Maybe because I sell pc's ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.