Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:41 AM   #1
rlogan814
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can anyone direct me where to look for a movie's aspect ratio in iTunes prior to purchasing it? I get HD tv shows through iTunes and their picture always takes up the full screen on my tv, but I've purchased 3 movies from iTunes - two older movies on sale and Drive. The two older purchase had the letterbox bars and barely "DVD" quality for an HD movie download. I wasn't upset or surprised by this due to them being older releases, but it did make me want to not stop buying blu ray copies of my movies to get the best quality available.

Then, out of complete laziness I purchased Drive through iTunes because I didn't feel like driving to best buy. Anyway, that movie looked great through iTunes whether I watched it straight off my Mac or through apple tv, and the picture took up the whole screen, no letterbox bars. I'm assuming this has to do with the aspect ratio of the film, but I'm unable to find that in iTunes prior to purchase, it just says "widescreen" for all the movies. I've tried looking up the aspect ratio on imdb, but no joy since for all the tested movies it said 2.35:1.

There has to be a way to tell through iTunes if a HD movie will take up my whole 52 inch widescreen HDTV or be in letterbox form. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.
rlogan814 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater