Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 1, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
fanboy05
macrumors regular

Itether app that was released in Nov.

I was wondering for those who were lucky enough to snag the itether app that was in the app store for about 9 hours last november, and who are on at&t...

If you have used it, has anyone gotten a notice that att "caught them" tethering using that app? ( I am NOT talking about a jailbroken phone I am referring only to using the app that was in the app store for tethering)

It was pulled, and I did buy it in time, but was wondering if anyone had gotten a notice after using it that they were tethering, with a legitimate app from the apple store, or if at&t has not been monitoring the use of that app.
fanboy05 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Brett0712
macrumors member

No, no notice... I was using iTether until the jailbreak was released for the 4S. Then again, I've used TetherMe while jailbroken for over a year now. Its all about how you use the data...
Brett0712 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 07:13 AM   #3
pooleman
macrumors 65816

I got the tether app that was $15 and on the iTunes store for only a few hours. I have received no notice from AT&T regarding the app. However, I have only used the app twice, and the day after each use, I received the throttling message. In January I used it and then was throttled at 11 gigs, then I used it in February and was throttled at 6 gigs. Coincidence?

So now that we will be throttled at 3 gigs I am going to use the tether app after I am throttled. I am sure that it will still be painfully slow but we will see what happens.
pooleman is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 07:55 AM   #4
fanboy05
macrumors regular

Thank-you for your responses pooleman and brett.
i haven't been throttled as of yet or received a notice either. I am glad it looks like at&t is keeping out of harassing those of us who bought the app. I haven't used it much, either, but it is good to know!
fanboy05 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:13 PM   #5
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Supposedly even people with very low data usage have gotten AT&T warnings. Although, I've never seen any for any one using iTether.

Has anyone heard of anyone running VPN on the iPhone using some kind of tethering app getting caught?

Seems like that would hide what you're doing and even where you're going, all they'd know is you're using more bandwidth. (Right?)

Gary
Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Mochi Hana
macrumors 6502a

I too, am on AT&T and have used the iTether app without any problems. I don't use it often though.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:36 PM   #7
terraphantm
macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

How long does it usually take to get te warning? I've tethered a ton the past few days since the hotel wifi sucks here. I got the throttle warning, but so far no tether warning
terraphantm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:35 PM   #8
besweeet2
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to besweeet2
I'd hate to bring this old thread back, but I've been debating whether or not to switch from the 4GB (w/tethering) $45/mo. plan to the 3GB (no tethering) $30/mo. plan to save a little bit of money, seeing as I don't usually use more than 3GB of data anyway. Even if I do go over, the total monthly data would be $40 ($30 + $10 1GB overage), still $5 less than with the previous plan. I don't tether much, and since I can get iTether without a jailbreak for the iPhone 5, I wouldn't mind using it when need be (again, rarely).
besweeet2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:49 PM   #9
braddick
macrumors 68030

Just keep in mind you can't tether an iPad with this app (or, you couldn't the last time I tried).
braddick is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:56 AM   #10
AFDoc
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeet2 View Post
I'd hate to bring this old thread back, but I've been debating whether or not to switch from the 4GB (w/tethering) $45/mo. plan to the 3GB (no tethering) $30/mo. plan to save a little bit of money, seeing as I don't usually use more than 3GB of data anyway. Even if I do go over, the total monthly data would be $40 ($30 + $10 1GB overage), still $5 less than with the previous plan. I don't tether much, and since I can get iTether without a jailbreak for the iPhone 5, I wouldn't mind using it when need be (again, rarely).
then why did you bring it back to life? The only thing you added was the fact that you were looking at it. Ok, thanks.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:58 AM   #11
besweeet2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
then why did you bring it back to life? The only thing you added was the fact that you were looking at it. Ok, thanks.
Seemed more appropriate than starting a new thread. Being off-topic is a worse offense.
besweeet2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:39 AM   #12
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Did you download iTether before it got removed?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:35 AM   #13
macher
macrumors regular

I wish AT&T offered a $30 unlimited mobile hotspot feature for unlimited data accounts like Verizon. I'd jump on it in a heart beat. Makes me jealous of unlimited Verizon customers with unlimited data. I often have situations now where I need to tether.

That's the reason why I picked up an unlimited Verizon line so I could use it to tether. I'm really liking this customer friendly feature from Verizon for $30/month.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:27 AM   #14
besweeet2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
I wish AT&T offered a $30 unlimited mobile hotspot feature for unlimited data accounts like Verizon. I'd jump on it in a heart beat. Makes me jealous of unlimited Verizon customers with unlimited data. I often have situations now where I need to tether.

That's the reason why I picked up an unlimited Verizon line so I could use it to tether. I'm really liking this customer friendly feature from Verizon for $30/month.
Except that Verizon throttles you too, but not as much as AT&T.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:31 AM   #15
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

I was caught on AT&T tethering with MyWi on a jailbroken iPhone 4 or 3G. They said next time they will just charge me the 30 a month for tethering.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:33 AM   #16
besweeet2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
I was caught on AT&T tethering with MyWi on a jailbroken iPhone 4 or 3G. They said next time they will just charge me the 30 a month for tethering.
What does that have to do with iTether?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:49 AM   #17
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
What does that have to do with iTether?
it's a thread related to getting caught tethering by AT&T, mywi is an app just like iTether so it is relevant.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:56 AM   #18
besweeet2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
it's a thread related to getting caught tethering by AT&T, mywi is an app just like iTether so it is relevant.
This thread is specific to iTether, so it's not relevant.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:58 AM   #19
HankHowdy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Only 3G. LTE is throttle free on verizon. I use 6- 10 gigs on 3G with verizon and have never been throttled. Depends if you are in a congested tower.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:02 PM   #20
besweeet2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHowdy View Post
Only 3G. LTE is throttle free on verizon. I use 6- 10 gigs on 3G with verizon and have never been throttled. Depends if you are in a congested tower.
Several people I know with iPhone 5s in areas where their LTE is available have gotten severely throttled on a number of occasions.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:29 PM   #21
BarryL
macrumors regular

Quote:
This thread is specific to iTether, so it's not relevant.
What's the difference?? If you get busted for using MyWi, TetherMe, or iTether. They're all the same.

At the end of the day, they're all against AT&T's TOS.

Relax dude.

----------

Quote:
In very rare cases. AT&T discloses when you'll get grottoes (3GB on 3G, 5GB on LTE). Whereas Verizon doesn't have a posted limit.

I haven't heard of anyone on Verizon LTE phones being throttled. I saw a guy at best buy with an Android LTE device.. He show me he uses 30-45 GB / mo, many months on end... No Verizon throttle.

YMMV of course.
BarryL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:48 PM   #22
besweeet2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
What's the difference?? If you get busted for using MyWi, TetherMe, or iTether. They're all the same.

At the end of the day, they're all against AT&T's TOS.

Relax dude.

----------

The title of this thread is irrelevant to those other applications. Some work much differently than others. If anybody here was interested in something other than iTether, they would've made their own thread. Stay on-topic, please.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:53 PM   #23
HankHowdy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Several people I know with iPhone 5s in areas where their LTE is available have gotten severely throttled on a number of occasions.
Verizon cannot throttle LTE. Just 3G.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:00 PM   #24
besweeet2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHowdy View Post
Verizon cannot throttle LTE. Just 3G.
Then it's weird how they're only throttling their already slow 3G network, and not their LTE users. Just shows how evil AT&T really is .
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:02 PM   #25
HankHowdy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Then it's weird how they're only throttling their already slow 3G network, and not their LTE users. Just shows how evil AT&T really is .
That because the 3G network is very congested.

Verizon doesn't even have true throttling Its called network optimization and only goes into effect when you are on a congested tower after being labeled a data hog. There is no set limit to reach to be called a data hog. It's up to their discretion. Network optimization only applies to unlimited 3G customers using a 3G device. One you activate a LTE device, this no longer applies.

Last edited by HankHowdy; Dec 23, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
HankHowdy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone