Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhemmerling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
I'm having trouble deleting the photos from my photo library on my iphone. Checked the forums and found some tips, but none have worked for me.

Tried this:
-Hook your phone up to your itunes
-select your device
-select the photos tab
-click the box that says "sync photos from"
-on the drop down menu check "choose folder"
-in the box that pops up select "new folder"
-make a new folder with no contents and hit "choose" button
-hit "apply".......then all you will have left is your camera roll once sync is complete
Unfortunately at the end of the sync I get this message: "The iPhone “Becky's iphone” could not be synced because the sync session failed to finish."

Also tried just unselecting "sync photos" from iphoto and it asks me if I want the pics removed from my phone. I select "yes", it syncs, but the pictures are still there. Also have tried creating a new folder with nothing in it, and syncing it to that, but again, pics are still on my phone.

Any ideas?

8-D

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2012
Same Problem

I was/am having the same problem. Eventually I just manually deleted the photos and videos from my phone. Time consuming and annoying but it worked. If someone finds an easier solution I would love to know about it.

Gallups1

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Found the answer!!!!

This problem was kickin my butt and i figured it out by accident. I went into photos tab on my iphone in itunes and clicked "sync from ipod photo cache" and voila! only the pics in my camera roll remained.

moataz83

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
Saudi Arabia
deleting iphone photo library

you can try using the app (image capture), it actually ships with the your Mac. Just go to spotlight and type in the search "image capture", then launch it. connect your iOS device with sync cable, it will show up in the left pane. click on any of the images in the view window then press Command+A to select all photos. then click on the # sign (before import to), then click delete.
there u go :)

Catimann

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Ok I got fed up with this and decided to risk it all and see. I have an iPhone 4.

I first tried the O Posters idea:
"Tried this:
-select your device
-select the photos tab
-click the box that says "sync photos from"
-on the drop down menu check "choose folder"
-in the box that pops up select "new folder"
-make a new folder with no contents and hit "choose" button
-hit "apply".......then all you will have left is your camera roll once sync is complete"

I also had one other album left and that is one I added while I was on my phone and it can be deleted by removing the pictures in it, I think.

I next tried this:

-select your device i.e. your iPhone
-select the photos tab
-click the box that says "sync photos from" This unchecked the box and a warning came up. "iTunes will no longer sync photos to the iPhone “My/Your I phone”. Do you want to keep or remove photos previously synced to your iPhone?" I picked Remove photos
I continued.
-hit "apply".......then all you will have left is your camera roll once sync is complete again I also had the other album left. I actually watched the other albums disappear.

Now I think most people want to have their phone sync to their iPhoto in their computer like I do.
So I went back to iTunes and
-select your device i.e. your iPhone
-select the photos tab
-click the box that says "sync photos from" iPhoto is the default choice.
- Then you have a choice of All. . . . or Selected. . . . and if you want videos
I picked selected and checked off videos.
Then I checked of the boxes of the iPhoto albums I wanted in my photos on my phone.
-hit "apply".......then if you have the phone open and the albums on screen you can watch them pop up as it syncs.
You will get the "Photo Library" back, it seems to be a necessary evil.

All that said and done and I still do not understand why there are some pictures in the Photo Library that I don't have in the other "checked" albums.

I have been cleaning house in iPhoto on my Mac and find that some pictures are just "connected" to others so if you delete one the next or several others will go too! Perhaps that is why I have extra pictures in my Photo Library.

jondo1

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Frustrated Luddite

That's all very well but my problem is probably typical. I don't have a Mac pc and I don't have i-tunes loaded on my Windows 7 pc. So, question is what is the correct procedure to arrive at deleting the photos in my I phone 4 Photo Library?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.