Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Rumors of Massive Apple Retail Store for Paris as Virgin Vacates Prime Location

Business Insider points to a report [Google translation] from French newspaper Le Figaro noting that Virgin will be vacating its landmark retail store on Champs-Élysées in Paris and that Apple is one of the primary candidates rumored to be interested in taking the spot.

Interior of Virgin Megastore on Champs-Élysées (Source: Flickr/Ju_li_a)
The entire Virgin store checks in at roughly 75,000 square feet, with nearly 50,000 square feet of it dedicated to the sales floor. Apple's largest flagship retail stores at Regent Street and Covent Garden in London currently offer roughly 25,000 square feet of space, and while Apple could presumably opt to take only a portion of Virgin's space at the Paris location if it is indeed interested, the space certainly would give Apple an opportunity to build by far its largest retail store in a very prominent location.

It is also interesting to note a report from Hardmac claiming that Apple CEO Tim Cook was in Paris earlier this week for unknown reasons. There is obviously no specific evidence tying his rumored presence to the Virgin store vacancy, but those hoping that Apple might pursue the project are welcome to speculate about whether he may have been in town to personally survey the site amid other company business.

Article Link: Rumors of Massive Apple Retail Store for Paris as Virgin Vacates Prime Location
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

Yeah, ALL state side stores suck compared to the ones overseas. The one closest to me is 1/10 that size and smells like feet and dirty laundry
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Consultant
macrumors G5

I'm surprised that this Virgin store lasted this long.
Consultant is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Kinda amusing they could be taking over the space of an industry they helped kill (record stores).
Diode is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Jobsian
macrumors 6502a

Beautiful location!
Jobsian is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

I wish they would have taken over the colossal space that Virgin vacated here in Orlando, at Downtown Disney (which is now being turned into a bowling alley). All we have are two little stores inside two different malls. I guess it's better than nothing.
Caliber26 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

It's a beautiful building inside. Very Apple. I used to shop there all the time when I lived in Paris. It's a local landmark and situated in a very prestigious location.
Shaun, UK is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:58 AM   #8
toshmac
macrumors member

Apple's minimalist approach would look better in that space anyway. The Virgin layout looks terribly cluttered.
toshmac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Nielsenius
macrumors 6502a

Looks like I'll be traveling to Paris! Okay, maybe not...
Nielsenius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:01 PM   #10
ericinboston
macrumors 68000

Apple couldn't fill that location with unique products if it tried. 1 table, 1 iPhone, 3 laptops, and 3 desktops. Not to mention there is practically 0 software sold anymore at Apple stores in the USA. Even the Accessories are barely in the stores.

Now, maybe Apple wants to fill the location with 500 tablets or something...but overall I think it would be a waste of space/money unless the price was superb.

The past 3 Apple stores I've walked into (2 in MA 1 in CT) feel like I could drive a small truck between each table...nice layout, nice colors, very clean...but feels really empty in regards to products.

Apple certainly has the money to pay for the Paris real estate...but I wonder how empty it would feel product-wise.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:02 PM   #11
GekkePrutser
macrumors 6502a

I want one in Ireland
GekkePrutser is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:02 PM   #12
shootingrubber
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsenius View Post
Looks like I'll be traveling to Paris! Okay, maybe not...
I hope they take this spot and it would make for a beautiful location. I love Paris. Was there last summer and going back again this summer. In fact, last summer I actually stayed on Champs Elysees.
shootingrubber is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:02 PM   #13
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Here is my quarterly post asking for a flagship store in Toronto.
3N16MA is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:03 PM   #14
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
I hope for parisians that it wouldn't be as ugly as it is now

Probably another eye catcher, like the one which will open tomorrow in Amsterdam.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:04 PM   #15
palouf
macrumors newbie

Virgin indicates that it is not true

hi,

in following article (french) http://lexpansion.lexpress.fr/high-t...in_285285.html
virgin says that virging flagship store in paris will not be sold.

Cheers
palouf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:04 PM   #16
kyjaotkb
macrumors 6502

Tim Cook was in Paris to :
- attend hearings in a legal case between Apple and French Apple Premium Reseller eBizcuss
- probably discuss Kiosk issues with major newspaper

The Champs-Elysées location sounds a little overrated. I don't think many Parisians shop on the avenue. I don't know any. More likely tourists from Asia and Russia. But there are Apple Stores in Asia now. So 7000 m² for Russian tourists seems a tad big imho.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:05 PM   #17
tmdist
macrumors newbie

Visited that store in November and had an iPad 1 in my bag. For some strange reason it would constantly ring at the entrance? It was a sign of an Apple Store to come...
tmdist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

As someone else mentioned, I'm too surprised that the Virgin store lasted as long as it did. It is sad to see the Virgin Megastore close ( I do love my records stores); but it will be ironic if Apple does indeed open a store at that location.

Last edited by Eduardo1971; Mar 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Eduardo1971 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:07 PM   #19
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkePrutser View Post
I want one in Ireland
Were you not born in the netherlands, thought I read that in one of your posts, just settle in Amsterdam
justperry is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:12 PM   #20
Foxer
macrumors 65816

I went to that Virgin Megastore on a number of occassions. It'll be a beautiful Apple Store. I don't know how they'll fill it, but it will be nice.

"I'll buy almost anything if it is shiny and made by Apple."
Foxer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:24 PM   #21
louis Fashion
macrumors 6502a

Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjaotkb View Post
The Champs-Elysées location sounds a little overrated. I don't think many Parisians shop on the avenue. I don't know any. More likely tourists from Asia and Russia. But there are Apple Stores in Asia now. So 7000 m² for Russian tourists seems a tad big imho.
You can buy any knock off (fashion, tech, etc) in Asia. But the Louis Vuitton shop in Paris is filled with Asians buying the real thing. Apparently, it is considered "cool" not to have a copy. So I guess 7000 quadrat meter is just right.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
Kinda amusing they could be taking over the space of an industry they helped kill (record stores).
Yes. AAPL killed the CD star.

Yes. AAPL killed music that sounds like music and compressed the bandwidth to a tin sounding representation of what used to be.

Buy CDs and burn them into iTunes, take your ear buds and crush them under your hob nail boot heel. Buy good quality head phones. Enjoy music.

Music is not background noise. Music is joy.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:28 PM   #22
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
I'd be curious to learn how Apple would go about filling such a large space.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:29 PM   #23
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Apple couldn't fill that location with unique products if it tried. 1 table, 1 iPhone, 3 laptops, and 3 desktops. Not to mention there is practically 0 software sold anymore at Apple stores in the USA. Even the Accessories are barely in the stores.

Now, maybe Apple wants to fill the location with 500 tablets or something...but overall I think it would be a waste of space/money unless the price was superb.

The past 3 Apple stores I've walked into (2 in MA 1 in CT) feel like I could drive a small truck between each table...nice layout, nice colors, very clean...but feels really empty in regards to products.

Apple certainly has the money to pay for the Paris real estate...but I wonder how empty it would feel product-wise.
Apple Stores are great to shop in. I go in their when I don't even want to buy anything.

Would you rather it be like Primark?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:31 PM   #24
rkahl
macrumors 65816

Seriously, do you really need that much space to display an iPod, iPad, Mac, and a couple of other things?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:37 PM   #25
davisjw
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post

My thoughts exactly. But I'm done saying it won't work as Apple creates large spaces that only attract larger profits.

Perhaps Apple will move back toward a "life-style" store like the earlier ones that sold more accessories and software. I can see a store that carries Apple-approved cameras, backpacks, cases, etc.

They could also use part of the store to go back to the idea of presentations/how-tos when it comes to Apple products. They stopped them at the locations I'm near. So perhaps a theater would be appropriate.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion