Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Usain

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Rotterdam
They see me trollin', they hatin'!

cef6e89bc8dfd99f675f929d3e9ce2f7_large.jpg

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Kind of a downer...

Maybe they might be previewing it at the iPad 3 event? That may of been the 'see' thing.

Probably just very wishful thinking...

Yeah, while there's nothing surprising about it, it *is* kind of depressing, because I was thinking of getting an iPad 3, which will come with iOS 5 (most likely), and this reminds me that iOS 6 will come out this XMAS on iPhones, and who knows when iOS 6 will finally come to the iPad?

Then again, iOS 5 IMO didn't add much on top of iOS 4, it was kind of an XP/2000 bump...

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

d4rkc4sm said:
Did you even read the article? It came from Apple's corporate IP...

Apple likes to fake rumors to spot source of leaks.

Exactly. Just like the iPad 9,2 type of things Apple is building into their code, they could just as easily be producing fake results here as well. Honestly I'd be more apt to believe this is the case with the higher resolution reports than with the 6.0 reports. I'm sure Apple is working on 6.0, but there's no reason to believe these results are genuine, even coming from Apple HQ.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It could report a lower resolution because Apple wants it to. I'm sure that info wouldn't be too difficult to fudge.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah, while there's nothing surprising about it, it *is* kind of depressing, because I was thinking of getting an iPad 3, which will come with iOS 5 (most likely), and this reminds me that iOS 6 will come out this XMAS on iPhones, and who knows when iOS 6 will finally come to the iPad?

Then again, iOS 5 IMO didn't add much on top of iOS 4, it was kind of an XP/2000 bump...

Umm... Starting with 4.2 (I believe), all iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads all receive upgrades in the OS at the same time.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Did you even read the article? It came from Apple's corporate IP...

I think some people are reading too much into these. Didn't people find evidence of Apple messing with plist strings a while ago? Apple's R&D people might as well tweak their browser strings to say something ridiculous like MacBook Air running on A9, iOS 8.0, with screen resolution 5120x2880 :eek:

jamesmademe

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
Providing this rumour is true and Apple really are in full swing with iOS 6.0 it would to be interesting to see how far into development it is.

Its almost a shame that we have to wait a further 3 months to get a glimpse of it *sigh*.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
iOS is a yearly event at this point. There are no doubt a dozen or more devices around Apple running that stuff at this time. If Apple decides to start asking $5/iOS and they do progressive yearly updates which people want, they will begin raking in half a billion dollars a year rather soon... just from iOS.

Hope they don't charge, but expect it.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I think some people are reading too much into these. Didn't people find evidence of Apple messing with plist strings a while ago? Apple's R&D people might as well tweak their browser strings to say something ridiculous like MacBook Air running on A9, iOS 8.0, with screen resolution 5120x2880 :eek:

Just multiple product strings like ipad 5,3 for example. No actual reported specs or anything like that. They want to throw people off as to how many new products are coming, not what those products may actually contain, because that will breed unrealistic expectations.

iOS is a yearly event at this point. There are no doubt a dozen or more devices around Apple running that stuff at this time. If Apple decides to start asking $5/iOS and they do progressive yearly updates which people want, they will begin raking in half a billion dollars a year rather soon... just from iOS.

Hope they don't charge, but expect it.

They just stopped charging for it and made their desktop OS upgrades only $30. Why would they reverse course?

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
seriously......this is the most ****** rumor ever. I would rather believe the drop on the 64gb ipad 3 then to believe this.
You know how relativly easy it is to make such a website report trick youre visitting the site wich those settings?

Now who's going to fake iOS 9.3 and visit a website? ^^

easy traffic now for that article.

... It's not a rumor, it's a fact. it's an update on the iOS 6 devolepment, calm down.

mrkstu

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Resolution is easy...

With pinch to zoom in Safari there will be situations where having the full use of all available pixels will be preferable.

For the 'default' viewport Apple can keep it zoomed in so its a higher resolution/dpi, but the user then has the option to see a wider view at a still acceptable resolution to get the big picture.

Letting the website max out is nice. Those website that identify an iPad in the future via javascript can still optimize for the IPad 3 when they see one report in...

qtaran111

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
In my GA stats, there's an iPad with a screen resolution of 0x0.

OMG, an iPad with no screen, iPadSiri! :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-02 at 19.34.32.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-02 at 19.34.32.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 78

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

iOS 5.0.1 is full bugs. Release the 5.1 update already.

VinitaBoy

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2007
". . . if past history is any indication." Um, little more than a personal pet peeve here, but isn't all "history" past? (Sorry for the waste of webspace.)

Manilae

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
seriously, companys like apple have different teams working on different versions of products, software and so on. There may be a team which is already brainstorming for the OSX that comes after Mountain Lion. Such big things like iOS arent just developed for about a few month. They maybe are working on iOS 6 since a year or more...

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Rush

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
The device in the invite has a resolution of 2048--1536, as the article says the retina display iPad would not advertise this resolution (but display in it). This device is physically much larger than the iPad. Look at the size of the finger compared to the device (try it on your iPad; i did and this device is much larger than my iPad). The icons are much large for distance viewing (remote control). Finally and most convincing is the thickness of the bezel in the device in the invite; it is much thicker than an iPad. It is an Apple TV. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.