Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

white_ipad_2_oblique.jpg

Despite some questionable rumors of price hikes earlier this week, 9to5Mac reports that reliable tipster Mr. X has revealed that the new iPad 3 will carry the same prices as the iPad 2 and also come in the same storage configurations at 16GB/32GB/64GB.
We've gotten word that iPad pricing is going to be the same across the board as the current iPad 2 models which should be no big surprise given Apple's history - they rarely raise prices. Even better, some countries with currencies doing better than the US dollar should expect to see marginal drops in prices.
The source had previously revealed part numbers that had appeared in Apple's retail inventory. The source now seems to be suggesting that those part numbers carry the same prices and configurations as the current iPad 2.
MC705LL/A - J1 GOOD A-USA
MC706LL/A - J1 BETTER A-USA
MC707LL/A - J1 BEST A-USA

MD328LL/A - J1 GOOD B- USA
MD329LL/A - J1 BETTER B-USA
MD330LL/A - J1 BEST-B-USA

MD366LL/A - J2A GOOD A-USA
MD367LL/A - J2A BETTER A-USA
MD368LL/A - J2A BEST A-USA

MD369LL/A - J2A GOOD B-USA
MD370LL/A - J2A BETTER B-USA
MD371LL/A - J2A BEST B-USA
J1 is believed to be a Wi-Fi version of the iPad 3, while J2 is believed to be one with Cellular connectivity.

Some had been hoping for a boost in storage capacities to account for the long rumored Retina Display that is expected to be found on the iPad 3. Retina-sized graphics and video will take considerably more storage than those designed for the standard iPad.

Apple is holding a media event on March 7th to presumably announce the new iPad.

Article Link: iPad 3 to be Same Price and Same 16GB/32GB/64GB Sizes as iPad 2

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Great news for the US but I wonder how Apple will re-value iPad 3 in international territories relating to differing exchange rates.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Although an option of a higher storage capacity would be nice, I think they would probably rather wait until the respective price came down some more; to allow them to retain their pricing structure.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Didn't think Apple would raise the price on the new iPad. Sure the retina screen will be more expensive but when your Apple and order millions at a time I bet they get a nice discount and as flash memory gets cheaper it will balance out more expensive components!!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Here's the problem: If Apple cannot get as many retina displays as they could sell, what are they going to do? They can't sell iPad 2 and iPad 3 at the same price. They are not going to sell the iPad 2 for a lot less than now. So there are two possibilities: The iPad 3 will sell for more than the iPad 2 does today, with iPad 2 possibly reduced in price. Or only selective models will be available. For example, only iPad 3 with 3G and 64 GB, until enough retina displays are available for other models.

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Mr.Kim, "some had been hoping for a boost in storage capacities to account for the long rumored Retina Display that is expected..." maybe its me but i don't think this is a fluid thought or sentence. I think i understand where you were going with larger file sizes because of the retina capability, but its .

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Why cant they ditch 16Gb model and have 32/64/128?

I have the 32gb ipad2 and i have even took off all my music to fit the apps and movies i have on it now. File sizes are only going to go up with this ret display.

smalltimewine

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Despite what the rumor makers might have you believe, Apple's pattern is pretty easily predicted. On price they always do one of the following three:

1. Add features, hold price.
2. No new features, reduce price.
3. Add new features, reduce price.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Glad there's no 128gb model, the retina display will be awesome but I'd much rather be able to carry around more videos, photos and apps. I'll be keeping my iPad 2 for another year it seems.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
. Or only selective models will be available. For example, only iPad 3 with 3G and 64 GB, until enough retina displays are available for other models.

. Apple knows folks will wait. So they won't restrict models to punish folks that don't want that 1or 2 choices. Everything will go on sale and restock will be adjusted by what is most popular etc

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
So those of us who actually have day jobs are out of luck trying to get one on launch day, huh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.