Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
why would i want to be carrying a PC when the ipad is Post-PC?

someone sure can't enough of the kool aid. what does that even mean? That they replace pc's? Sure for some things like watching movies or web browsing and very few advanced uses. But if you're implying that ipads are all together replacing computers, particularly laptops, then you are very very wrong.

shopboy0301

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2011
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well wait until 3/7/12,who knows there Migth be a 128gb ipad3 after all they are only rumors

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If this is true, the iPad 3 will be my first iPad. :)

Still not sure what to get. 16GB 4S has been plenty for me, but this puppy would likely get movies and such loaded on it. Decisions, decisions!

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
If Apple would allow on demand download of movies and TV shows, they would be no need for 128GB. Most of the really big content are videos or data from OpenGL games.
Picture especially now with the bigger screen. 1080 movies are over 2.5x bigger then 720, thats alot more space needed.

In two years when LTE is available, the whole content ownership model will be obsolete.
Not with 5 GB monthly quotas and not for those of us who are off the grid for long periods of time.

Also, doubling capacity adds cost and risk of failure. QA is really important.
(Try to image the number of transistors needed for 64GB, let alone 128GB)

It adds cost (but not the $100 you add for doubling memory) but not risk of failure. The 64 GB model uses 2 32 GB chips, the 128 GB model would use 2 64 GB chips (the same chips used in the new 64 GB phone), the MTBF for both chips are the same, so no increase in risk of failure.

Fairchild

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-ca; HTC Desire Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I expect at least one variant with a quadcore carrying a higher price tag. Still think there will be a 7" as well. The kids want a more portable gaming solution and apple would be foolish not to embrace that in the near future.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Yes, people actually would use that much space on a tablet. I've got 29 movies that take up 38.13 GB and I've also got 88 episodes of TV taking up another 39.57 GB.

That's 77.70 GB right there, throw in my 8,562 songs for 47.35 GB and an additional 5.10 GB for the 123 apps I have and you're looking at a whopping 130.15 GB worth of stuff. As it is 128 GB won't even cover everything, and I haven't talked about the Podcasts I listen to or the fact I'd need extra space in order to use the built in camera to take video and pictures; kind of need room for all those extra activities.

Just because your personal needs don't merit a 128 GB device doesn't mean other people's needs don't.

Personally I don't much care if the iPad 3 has 64 or 128 GB, though I would much prefer 128 GB, since I have an iPod Touch for my music and I could offload the videos on it to the iPad. But the upcoming iPod Touch had better have 128GB because between my music library, a bit more than a 1/3 of which still hasn't been imported from my CD collection yet, and the apps, 64GB leaves me pretty close to the limit meaning I have to be very careful on what I buy lest I run out of space.

Again, WHY do you have that much on there? Are you going to watch 88 episodes all in one viewing? Even two? Even 20? It's all on your PC, isn't it? Music I can understand since it's a very passive activity. and COME ON, who really uses the ipads camera for photography? It's facetime that the camera is used for most all of the time.

The bigger capacity iPads don't make sense to me. For as much as Apple is trying to push iCloud as the future of storage, they sure aren't backing up the talk with larger (64 gb) PORTABLE tablets.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
so now you would carry two devices to make up for carrying one?

If you're intent on using iOS over Mac OS, then thats the alternative for the user over upselling to a laptop. It's also wireless and runs on battery. You could probably fit in your pocket and forget about it. Future iterations of the product are also bound to shrink in size, making it even easier to carry around. Plus, the cost of an iPad and the wireless drive is still cheaper than the lowest tiered Macbook Air. It all depends on the user's needs really. I'm just pointing this out as an alternative to a laptop.

You also don't have to bring it if you don't need it for a particular trip. Bring it when you want to. But what I'm really hoping for is a solution from Apple to let your iOS device tap into your Airport connected disk or Time Capsule at home for complete access to your iTunes library.

Last edited:

Fairchild

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-ca; HTC Desire Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

charlituna said:
there was NO way the price was going to go up.....i didn't believe that rumor at a all...

I wouldn't go that far. Because Apple has raised prices before. I would question the amounts given in the rumor. $30 would be the max I think.

Yeah, who's to say a rumor is a fact set in stone. Fasten your seatbelts, the truth is just around the corner

Sixto

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
I've been good with 32GB, even with DirecTV nomad videos. Been perfect.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Another wonderful shock news article....

This one is almost as shocking as iPad 3 coming in black and white!!! But not quite ;)

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
when Apple does replace an old model with a new model, the new model generally blows the old one out of the water and the price point remains the same.
I disagree, on iOS devices. Consider the iPhone 4 vs 4s and most Touches, ipods, even the iPad; I do not consider the 2 blowing the 1 out of the water.
Apple's skill is to update but not piss off previous buyers of 1 year old devices. Most people with iPhone4 were not upset by the new features on the 4s, and I'd say the same for ipad 1.
Apple updates just enough to meet old and new customer demand, but not enough to alienate most existing customers by too quickly obsoleting the previous model. It works well for them.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Damn You Apple!!

Damn!!! I'm going to have to stand in another line and people who own Samsung products will drive by and heckle me YET AGAIN!!! :(

samsung-is-going-right-for-apple-fanboys-jugular-with-its-latest-commercial.jpg

dexx0008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
i've seen a lot of questionable statements arguing against 128gb model.

cloud:
sure cloud is great when u are on wifi but with todays cellular options when u don't have wifi suck. data is way too expensive to be relying on that. until cell data rates are more reasonable and you can share plans data plans with other devices that is a lot of extra cost vs. just paying a bit more for a bit of data.

more storage cannibalizing air sales:
i don't even know where to begin with this. two different audiences, two completely different interfaces.

keep all data on computer.
with apple removing pc requirement for using ipad this goes against that. for some things it's just nice to have on you when you need it.

why limit options because 'you' don't want it. think of others, sheesh. There are plenty of reasons.
-growing app sizes as apps for ipad become more robust
-retina screen requiring larger files
-future expansion, i doubt ios6 will be a smaller footprint.
-photos, educational books, magazines, syncing all the time isn't always convenient, and it takes time.

i'm sure others have their reasons.

just because i won't use lte, i'm not wishing it not to be there because i know others will make use of it. :cool:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If Apple would allow on demand download of movies and TV shows, they would be no need for 128GB. Most of the really big content are videos or data from OpenGL games.

In two years when LTE is available, the whole content ownership model will be obsolete.

The likes of AT&T & Verizon must love guys who think like you. 3GB is $30. One 1080p HD movie rental download will likely be greater than 3GB. With iCloud, why have more than a bare minimum of on-board storage? We can store it all in iCloud! And then download it all via AT&T or Verizon at $30 for 3GB. What a great, great idea (for AT&T & Verizon)!:rolleyes:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Yes cause people actually would use that much on a tablet

You can have any biggest memory capacity you can imagine, and eventually it'll still be full. There is no limit of what people would keep in their iPad, you can have 256GB iPad but fill it up in a month or two.

So, what's the point? The most important thing is to find the sweet spot of storage capacity for most people.

The likes of AT&T & Verizon must love guys who think like you. 3GB is $30. One 1080p HD movie rental download will likely be greater than 3GB. With iCloud, why have more than a bare minimum of on-board storage? We can store it all in iCloud! And then download it all via AT&T or Verizon at $30 for 3GB. What a great, great idea (for AT&T & Verizon)!:rolleyes:

Agreed!! As long as carrier apply an outrageously expensive data plan, there is no point of "Oh yeah, no need for bigger capacity, I have everything kept safe in the cloud!" . Beside, how many space you would get in the cloud? Lousy 5GB for free, and 50GB for like $100/year? Seriously? Some people think that's enough for a proper backup capacity? :rolleyes: No! .. I'd like to keep things in my own storage, for free, and it's home whenever I need it, no need to redownload, just sync/copy it .. for free! thank you.

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Again, WHY do you have that much on there? Are you going to watch 88 episodes all in one viewing? Even two? Even 20? It's all on your PC, isn't it? Music I can understand since it's a very passive activity. and COME ON, who really uses the ipads camera for photography? It's facetime that the camera is used for most all of the time.

The bigger capacity iPads don't make sense to me. For as much as Apple is trying to push iCloud as the future of storage, they sure aren't backing up the talk with larger (64 gb) PORTABLE tablets.

What the hell does it matter to you WHY he wants to put all his movies on his iPad?

I'm sick and tired of people telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my iPad. I paid for the ********** thing.

No 128GB version would be a DISASTER.

I AM NOT GOING TO SPEND MY HARD EARNED MONEY UPGRADING MY EXISTING 64GB IPAD FOR ANOTHER 64GB IPAD NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE BLOODY SCREEN IS.

I WANT A 128GB VERSION. NOW.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Seriously, I will GLADLY accept a check to "tip" people off that the most consistent company in tech will stay the course year after year.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
What the hell does it matter to you WHY he wants to put all his movies on his iPad?

I'm sick and tired of people telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my iPad. I paid for the ********** thing.

No 128GB version would be a DISASTER.

I AM NOT GOING TO SPEND MY HARD EARNED MONEY UPGRADING MY EXISTING 64GB IPAD FOR ANOTHER 64GB IPAD NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE BLOODY SCREEN IS.

I WANT A 128GB VERSION. NOW.

You're right about not telling people how to use the storage on their iPads. But you need to calm down. Nobody's forcing you to upgrade so why go crazy over it.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010

My contract allows 5GB without extra fees and after that I'm throttled (germany).

I'm following your argument, but consider that LTE will bring higher bandwidth.
It'll be ridiculous to have LTE and a 3GB limit.

And one last remark: Most times I watch something on my iPad I'm either at home or in the office. In all of these places there's WiFi.

AppleTV streams movies today and nobody complains about that most of the time...

(They sell LTE here instead of DSL in regions where there's bad connectivity. If you purchase such a box for your Internet connection, there's no traffic limit and a bandwidth of up to 50 MBps)

WCLPeter

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
Again, WHY do you have that much on there?

Freedom, Choice, Convenience, Ease of Use. Take your pick.

Are you going to watch 88 episodes all in one viewing? Even two? Even 20? It's all on your PC, isn't it?

Which is fine if I'm in front of my Mac. Of course it wouldn't exactly be fun to get to my non-internet connected destination and realize I'm in the mood for a Movie or TV show I couldn't bring with me because of size limitations.

and COME ON, who really uses the ipads camera for photography? It's facetime that the camera is used for most all of the time.

The best camera is the one you have with you right now. Not to mention I fully expect the iPad 3 camera to be upgraded to take advantage of the new Retina display. 1080p video takes up a lot of space.

iCloud is only as good as your connection to the internet and, I hate to break it to you, universal Wi-Fi isn't exactly ubiquitous. I also don't know too many coffee shops who'll be happy your downloading a 2 GB movie on their network and slowing down everyone else.

Now it is true I could spend even more money and get the Cell Network enabled iPad but until Cell companies get over themselves and build out their networks to increase capacity, you're not going to be watching too much TV, Movies, or listening to music on a paltry 2GB per month bandwidth quota.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Shut the **** up and take my ****ing money

I'm just wondering if I should pony up the extra dough for 32GB

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
If this rumor is true, I expect to see an 8 GB iPad 2 with an upgraded A5 chip for around $300. Next week I will still go for the iPad 3 but I am sure a lot of people will get this cheap model just out of curiosity. That move will certainly kill the competition and make a lot of people abandon their plans of getting a new laptop.

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002

Yeah, it's the same B.S. as people who claim 3GB is an astounding amount of data and there's something wrong with you if you use this much in a month.

Just because that's not the way YOU use the device, doesn't mean there isn't a valid use for it. For instance, you may want to download entire seasons of a few shows in HD before going on an extended trip where you won't have internet access. Or you may want to keep your music collection on there permanently, and add a few movies once in a while. Or do some home video editing. There are perfectly valid use cases.

However, for Apple to make such a model available they have to determine they can sell enough of it at a high enough price. They did this for the 64GB iPhone, after carrying only 16 and 32 models. If they don't do it for the iPad 3, they will for the iPad 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.