Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dm2481

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Hi
i recently purchased an iPhone 4s from my friend but it is locked to a carrier different from the one i use.

when my sim is in the phone and i turn it on it cannot be used and displays the "Only compatible sim cards can be used..." or whatever message.

i looked online how to unlock it and everywhere said i needed to jailbreak it first. so i tried doing so with absinthe, pwngetool and ziphone except they all say they cant detect an iphone or one is not connected, when it is. i tried dfu mode with all of these and same thing.

the only thing that seems to have any effect is redsn0w, which allows the phone to be used, gives me cydia, but still says there is no service and i cant make calls etc. (although i can still connect to wireless)
also when i try to install packages or themes or whatever from cydia they do not work.
ive tried installing ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock it but still it didnt work (no service)

does anyone have any ideas what i should do?

if anyone has any solutions could they please tell me step by step instructions? (

tl;dr: Need to know how to jailbreak and unlock an iphone with a sim from a carrier different to the one the phone is locked to.

thank you very much in advance.

dm2481

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
oh man that sucks.
what are my options do you think?
can i do anything?

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
no unlock means no unlock.

Don't know why you would buy a phone from a friend without doing your research. I won't question whether or not you bought it but...

Sell the phone

Buy one on your service.

The end.

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
what are you guys talking about no unlock
the gevey sim is coming out soon, theres also the R Sim

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
Don't know if the OP is wanting to go this route or not. Would have been smarter to just buy an unlocked phone imo.

factory unlocked is the best way
BUT its possible with the R Sim and Gevey, you cant just say "no its not possible"

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Actually, the GPP sims are in consumers hands now and from what I have seen they are quick, no #112 and reliable with strong signal

And some vendors are offering IMEI unlocks again (at substantial prices)

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
No issues whatsoever? Does it require jb?
Actually, the GPP sims are in consumers hands now and from what I have seen they are quick, no #112 and reliable with strong signal

Peters33

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
lets hope they work

I really hope they work, that will save me loads of $$$
purchased the Gevey Ultra S from http://www.gevey.info their site sais they will ship out the 8th.
Will let you guys know if it works!

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
factory unlocked is the best way
BUT its possible with the R Sim and Gevey, you cant just say "no its not possible"

There is nothing wrong to say "no it's not possible". It's a fact when he posted it. OP asked for a solution that day and that day doesn't not have a solution.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Personally, I'd still rather go with an imei unlock, but if the user doesn't update carelessly--and that's a big if--then it's a workable solution.
Hmm. I wonder how many messages we're going to get where some fool writes about how they "accidentally" updated their ios and it no longer works with their gevey?
Nope, sim interposers work in stock phones (or jailbroken phones)

podblack

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009

I got my GPP SIM interposer today. I installed it here at the office, and it went semi-smoothly. The only thing (and maybe I was just being impatient) was I had to manually search for my cellular network (T-Mobile USA). Other than that it was flawless. I have an iPhone 4s running iOS 5.0.1 using T-Mobile USA. Grant it, I'm on EDGE, but for most applications, EDGE is doing me fine (email, search, nav) and obviously we'll roll over to 3G when T-Mobile completes it's spectrum refarming.

But yeah, it works with no dodgy 112 procedure, etc.

They send you a little note too, reminding you to check back with them before you update your iOS depending on baseband upgrades.

Attachments

• 4sT-MobileUSA.png
    4sT-MobileUSA.png
    1 MB · Views: 111

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
This is awesome! Hopefully someone in the near future can compile a list of the working and nonworking ones, and good sites for imei unlocks as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.