Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malcolmffc

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
$10,000 is $10,000 but how on earth could I spend that on the iTunes store?

Easy! Write your own app, and submit it to the app store. Set the price to $10000 and buy it with your gift card. You'll get $7000 in cash.

:D

KazuSnow

macrumors regular
May 24, 2010
Canada (Australian)
Except that the keynote is only 4 days away. THey might not have all the proper forms etc to legally be able to say the person's name by then.

I think they will manage! haha

One (1) winner will receive one (1) iTunes Gift Card for credit in an amount equal to USD $10,000

With US crappy $ that will be a bonus to all of us outside the US! YAY

----------

Easy! Write your own app, and submit it to the app store. Set the price to $10000 and buy it with your gift card. You'll get $7000 in cash.

Who covers the cost if you ask for a refund.... "My kid brought by accident..." if you see where im heading haha

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Wait, so you can't use it for online Apple store? Like, buying MacBooks, iPads, etc?

isoMorpheus

Jul 29, 2007

You can't set the price of an app to to be over $1000.

----------

Wait, so you can't use it for online Apple store? Like, buying MacBooks, iPads, etc?

No you cannot. Only iTunes music, movies, TV shows, etc. and iBooks, and App Store apps.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had just downloaded an app just before the posting of this thread. :)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hopefully someone who downloaded their first app after six months and not knowing about the contest won.

Their mind would be blown. How much will a 10k gift card fetch in eBay ?

ToM7

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Israel
dam that was fast .
I remember that the itunes music store then it's just took so long to get there.

johanf

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Sweden
Apple too big to follow laws?

So big business and they still cannot obey the EU law that says a business to business sale within EU should be VAT exempted.
Apple´s laziness means all other companies within EU will have to pay VAT unnecessary.
Are Apple to big to care about the law?:confused:

Marigot88

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
Wow how many...and it's not stopping...
.png

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Apple kept nothing here - they did not give away money. This cost them nothing. It's marketing, nothing else.

Why would it be anything other than marketing?

That doesn't make it evil. You would want to win, wouldn't you?

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Apple Finally fixes WiFi iMac and No One Cares

Guess no one cares that Apple FINALLY fixed the ***** WiFi issue on the iMac last night. Being an Apple owner drives me nuts, their arrogance knows no bounds. The sell me a $1,800 computer that can't even stay connected to the Internet.

Its NEVER their hardware's fault, always the router fault, until they quietly issue a fix 4 months after I purchase it.

I'm glad it's fixed now, but I want more even handed reporting when a major issue like this does occur.

Apple WiFi software on all their devices is janky crap until it's fixed - the same thing happened with the iPad 2 and I'm willing to bet it'll happen with the iPad 3. WiFi will be broken for 6 months and everyone will just shrug it off like it's no big deal until Apple "quietly" issues a patch to fix it.

As someone who literally owns almost every Apple product - iMac, Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Apple TV, I will not buy another device from them because of this. At the very least I will not purchase during the first year.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
What would you do with $10,000 on iTunes? I guess I would start renting movies and shows. But I can't imagine spending it all ever.

I probably spent around 10k on iTunes store in the last 4-5 years, so it'd be nice to have everything free for the next 4-5 years.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
And it's not $10,000 dollars. It's $10,000 dollars worth of apps or music.

Yea, EXACTLY! ! ! Going to buy $10000 in apps? A $500billion++ company with $100billion++ in cash, who has tremendous markup on their products, offers a credit toward digital content. Nice offer and they didn't have to do it (although it bursted their sales I am sure) but lets not act like Apple has done anything great here.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
$10,000 is $10,000 but how on earth could I spend that on the iTunes store?

Exactly my thought.

Now, $10,000 in the Apple Store - I could definitely find ways to spend that amount.

But $10,000 in apps and music!!??

You'd have to spend a fortune to set up a NAS to hold $10,000 worth of apps and music. :eek:

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Yea, EXACTLY! ! ! Going to buy $10000 in apps? A $500billion++ company with $100billion++ in cash, who has tremendous markup on their products, offers a credit toward digital content. Nice offer and they didn't have to do it (although it bursted their sales I am sure) but lets not act like Apple has done anything great here.

itunes is an almost break even concept.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Seesh. It's a freaking contest. Nothing more or less. This was never intended to be a humanitarian effort so why act like it was? It was merely to hype the App Store and promote the fact that iOS apps are really popular ahead of the iPad 3 announcement. The contest cost them less than one ad spot at 4am in NYC but generated more publicity than a $4M SuperBowl ad. That's pretty genius on Apple's part.

But the winner here could end up being the loser. Taxes have to be paid on the $10K, which could end up being $1K or more. To a casual d/ler that's a hefty prepayment. If I were the winner I'd donate the entire amount to a school and take the tax deduction instead.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
I wonder who it will be? Hopefully someone from this site.

Strange, I was just on the Apple site 15 or so minutes ago and they still had that timer...? Guess I should have downloaded an app :p

Based on that timer, the 25 billionth should have been reached TOMORROW night.

And to those who are downplaying the people who complain about it only being $10,000 worth of software ... I agree. For a prize to be a prize, it should have more value. Let it be used on hardware as well as software.

----------

I probably spent around 10k on iTunes store in the last 4-5 years, so it'd be nice to have everything free for the next 4-5 years.

You did WHAT? :eek:

There's your one per cent-er.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Wow that would have to destroy their bandwidth cap from their ISP ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.