Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Oh well, I didn't find it confusing...

Anyway, the new 6900 units don't have PPD calculations for some reason. Which leads me to mention something about these anyway: the bonus points (for all SMP) did not seem to be calculated using the estimated finish time of a units.
It seemed the the overall PPD calculated would go up to reach the max near completion of the unit, so not really useful.
What would be better would be estimated PPD using the estimated time of completion.

And the panacea of course would be remote monitor of all the computers folding on your network :cool:
Newer work units are added over time. The averages are not pulled from folding@home, it's part of qdtools. F@H WUdget 1.5.5 has the latest version of qdtools for OS X available. When it's updated the widget will be updated accordingly.

I'm not sure I follow you on PPD estimation issue.

In order for me to gather something from other computers I'd have to write a separate application or a helper application. Dashboard has limitations built in that prohibit this functionality. I'm not able to establish a network connection and issue commands or login with ssh etc. I have thought about adding the functionality, but I don't currently have the time to figure out the best way to do it. If I do decide to do it, it'll only work for OS X and Linux machines. I wouldn't get your hopes up at this time. :p

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
For the PPD, just look at the PPD the widget gives for the current unit as an estimate. It is wrong for SMP units because of the bonus points.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
The bonus average is the one that has wrong numbers.
When you start the unit, the bonus is very small, then increases towards completion of the unit.

Intuitively, you would think that bonus number uses the estimated time to complete the unit and calculate what the bonus would be. But it is not the case.

Also looks like Folding is now updating stats every hour now, like the good old days. I don't think OC is gone to hourly updates yet though.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
The bonus average is the one that has wrong numbers.
When you start the unit, the bonus is very small, then increases towards completion of the unit.

Intuitively, you would think that bonus number uses the estimated time to complete the unit and calculate what the bonus would be. But it is not the case.

Also looks like Folding is now updating stats every hour now, like the good old days. I don't think OC is gone to hourly updates yet though.

Okay... The formula for calculating the bonus is rather complicated and you're welcome to read up on it in the folding forums. Most clients, like FahMon and others all use the same formula. My bonus shrinks over time and it's meant to change. I didn't create the formula and I'm not going to change it.

The updates are not done every hour they're done by 3 hour intervals, but not every 3 hours. EOC has updates at specific times and the widget updates at those times. So if your widget updates at 9:30 and the next update is scheduled at 10, then your widget will update again at 10. It wont be right on the button, but within a random time of 20 minutes after the hour. SO it can be as little as 20 minutes until your next update or great as 3 hours and 20 minutes.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Tks for all the good work.

Maybe you don't need to change the bonus formula, but you need to change the inputs? The time input should be using the estimated time to completion.

As for EOC updates, they keep the 3 hours intervals, but don't they update every hour again as Folding stats now do (this was the old behavior prior the stats meltdown)?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Tks for all the good work.

Maybe you don't need to change the bonus formula, but you need to change the inputs? The time input should be using the estimated time to completion.

As for EOC updates, they keep the 3 hours intervals, but don't they update every hour again as Folding stats now do (this was the old behavior prior the stats meltdown)?

I spoke with EOC and they only update their stats every 3 hours while Folding@home is now done on an hourly basis. They said they had no intentions on changing their update intervals.

I don't provide the inputs for the bonus. It's all done by qdtools and I don't have access to the source. The ETA date is fairly generic and takes averages each time the log files are updated. It can be off as with anything else pending processor usage by other applications.

What is the point difference you're seeing on average? Are you just folding with 1 client and is what you're seeing as a bonus on the widget not reflected on your updates? I had that problem for a while, but folding@home wasn't updating my bonuses with my completed units on a timely manner. I didn't see a bonus for a about a month and then I jumped a huge amount of pionts in 1 day. I have no idea what caused it. Folding@home also said they're working on the SMP client to iron out some point issues for OS X clients. I haven't checked on the progress recently, but there were a few minor issues with some units.

Last edited:

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Maybe I wasn't clear, in the widget, under Additional info, there is a bonus PPD field. That number is usually wrong (too low) unless the unit is almost finished.

No problem whatsoever with the stats themselves.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Maybe I wasn't clear, in the widget, under Additional info, there is a bonus PPD field. That number is usually wrong (too low) unless the unit is almost finished.

It does look off, but there's not much I can do about it since it too is from qdtools. I believe it looks at more than just your current unit. I think it looks at your last 8 units.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand

How quickly are your units being finished and how many machines? My 24 hour average from EOC is around 5K and my local unit is around 2K a day. I have 5 or 6 machines folding, so they shouldn't match, but it seems about right. The 24 hour average includes all points.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
How quickly are your units being finished and how many machines? My 24 hour average from EOC is around 5K and my local unit is around 2K a day. I have 5 or 6 machines folding, so they shouldn't match, but it seems about right. The 24 hour average includes all points.

No problems with these pieces...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.