Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frostbyte32

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I walked into Verizon today to get the 4s and the salesman asked me to tell me why I wanted the 4s. When I explained, he tried saying the Razor was better tha the 4s and you got 4g...I explained I wasn't interested and he kept pushing for it and wouldn't leave it alone. He said he kept pushing to the point that I walked out not buying anything because I wasn't giving him my commission.

Do they get some kind of kick back from google for selling droids over iPhones? He said all the salesmen had droids and not iPhones.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I've read posts by people claiming to be Verizon employees (and they seemed credible) that pushing people to buy Androids does in fact, get them a bigger commission compared to iPhones.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
They are also trying to get more people onto the 4g bandwagon. Opens up the network congestion. Technically the salesmen aren't even allowed to activate the 4S on their own lines, or they weren;t as recently as a few weeks ago.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I've read posts by people claiming to be Verizon employees (and they seemed credible) that pushing people to buy Androids does in fact, get them a bigger commission compared to iPhones.

Verizon employees make no commission on phones, only on plans. The phones are always sold at a loss to carriers (unless bought for full price without a contract). They make money on the contract.

Source: I have three friends who work as managers at Verizon stores.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Verizon employees make no commission on phones, only on plans. The phones are always sold at a loss to carriers (unless bought for full price without a contract). They make money on the contract.

Source: I have three friends who work as managers at Verizon stores.

I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info :)

frostbyte32

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
It was crazy uncomfortable and he kept saying how much faster the 4g is and that I would be locked in to a 2 year contract without it. I didn't expect nor feel like I needed to have to defend my decision to him.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info :)

No prob :) Also I didn't mean to sound snarky in my post! (I just realized it looked snarky).

I *think* they make money off of accessories too but I forget and none have answered my text message yet when I asked about it.

One of my friends is always trying to get me to apply since we were both salesman 12 years ago and he wants someone he knows can sell well so he gave me the entire low down on their pay, how its set up, etc.

Fudd

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Were you doing an upgrade or signing a contract for the first time? I just went in and when my turn came up I said I wanted to upgrade to a 4S 64GB, paid for it and walked out.

frostbyte32

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Were you doing an upgrade or signing a contract for the first time? I just went in and when my turn came up I said I wanted to upgrade to a 4S 64GB, paid for it and walked out.

Upgrade from an old droid. He was saying not to compar my phone to the new droids because it was apples and oranges. I just wanted to get my phone and walk out lol

crc4

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
I walked into Verizon today to get the 4s and I walked out not buying anything

That sounds incredibly hard to believe.
You made the huge decision to get a 4s/2yr contract, then left the store not getting anything?

Last edited by a moderator:

frostbyte32

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
TThat sounds incredibly hard to believe.
You made the huge decision to get a 4s/2yr contract, then left the store not getting anything?

Thanks, but no. I left empty handed because I wasn't giving him the sell for being insanely biased and giving me false info about the iPhone but yet again i don't need to explain myself to him...or you for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I would never pay $299 on contract for any of Verizon's Android LTE flagship phones. Unless they can sell the razor maxx for less than $199 on contract tell the sales rep it's a no go. Android phones do not retain resale value so you need your Cost basis to be as low as possible.

Are u sure u went to Verizon corp store? Or did u go to Verizon authorized reseller?

I do own a Verizon Galaxy Nexus and an AT&T iPhone 4S.

Surprise they didn't push the Nexus. Oh wait. They want to push the Verizon branded Androids that have crap you can't uninstall.

Yeah the Galaxy Nexus is as close to pure android as you can get with Verizon even though they managed to put two of their apps on there.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Finally got a text from one of my friends.

Verizon employees DO get commission on accessories also. Commission is on accessories and plans only, no commission on phones or on tablets.

To the OP: In electronics retail, usually the sales guys will just sell what they own since they're familiar with it. It does suck though when you get pushy sales people who instead of giving you all your options push you to one thing or another without any valid reason.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Actually, Verizon pushes it's employees to offer Android instead of iPhone. It makes the company more money, not the employee. He/she gets the same based on the plans. If they didn't really want to sell you the iPhone it's because they were either out of stock or you sir are a baby.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's important to remember, they may be Verizon sales people, but are still individuals that are subject to inserting their personal opinions & preferences into the conversation. Even though that's a very bad practice, these are not professional highly paid positions. Having expectations that they will perform professionally is unreasonable. Most that I've encountered don't even understand the products they sell. It's just how it is.

Fudd

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Upgrade from an old droid. He was saying not to compar my phone to the new droids because it was apples and oranges. I just wanted to get my phone and walk out lol

Wow that sucks. I would probably have done the same if they had been pushy to be honest. I do my research before going to the store, not on a salesman's advice at least for electronics.

crc4

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
Thanks, but no. I left empty handed because I wasn't giving him the sell for being insanely biased and giving me false info about the iPhone but yet again i don't need to explain myself to him...or you for that matter.

So he was the only associate in the store, no one else could help you? :confused:
(so what, you're just not going to get a 4s now because of that guy?)

frostbyte32

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
So he was the only associate in the store, no one else could help you? :confused:

I wasn't waiting for the only other associate who probably had the same practices....I will wait until I am back in my hometown to deal with my local store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.