Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivorito

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Hi, i have the 2010 uni-body white mac book. It has the 2.4 GHz core 2 duo processor. Apple says that the maximum RAM is 4Gb but numerous other sources say it is 8GB. At the moment i have 4Gb, but i would like to upgrade to 8. No idea what RAM i need to buy though... Any suggestions? I had a look on the crucial scanner thing but they seem to think it only goes up to 4GB too, so there were no 2*4Gb modules suggested. (if you do use a link, it would be preferable if it was for the UK :p )
Thanks very much

----------

Sorry, I probably should of left a link to one. Would this one work?
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT2KIT51264BC1067&cpe=pd_google_uk

ivorito

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
From past experience that RAM should work fine...If you install RAM that's faster than your Mac supports, my understanding is that it will simply run at the max speed your LB and system allows.

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
great to know bud, thanks for that, i think I'm just gonna go to 6gb (1x 2gb + 1x4gb)

for what i do it should be all i need. sometimes practically max ram out when doin cpu intensive stuff (lowest i got to was 15mb free :D)

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Intel should be able to tell you if you know the exact model C2D CPU that that MacBook has, everymac should tell you if you don't know. Google the C2D model and find the intel result. They usually provide info like cores, features stuff like that. The even tell you how much mac RAM is allowed as well. So the information intel tell you is more Important because they know thier products inside out.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Intel should be able to tell you if you know the exact model C2D CPU that that MacBook has, everymac should tell you if you don't know. Google the C2D model and find the intel result. They usually provide info like cores, features stuff like that. The even tell you how much mac RAM is allowed as well. So the information intel tell you is more Important because they know thier products inside out.

???????

Yes - Intel know more about how much ram a MacBook can support than anybody else !!! News to me - I think that the motherboard design might be a bit more important than the processor...

If you look at the link to the Crucial ram in the first post then you will notice that the 3rd or 4th comment about the 2 x 4GB PC8500 kit is from the owner of a white 2010 Unibody MacBook saying how well it works......

ivorito

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
???????

Yes - Intel know more about how much ram a MacBook can support than anybody else !!! News to me - I think that the motherboard design might be a bit more important than the processor...

If you look at the link to the Crucial ram in the first post then you will notice that the 3rd or 4th comment about the 2 x 4GB PC8500 kit is from the owner of a white 2010 Unibody MacBook saying how well it works......

Derpy derpy derp... Thankyou very much... I just posted that link very quickly without looking it over much. Thanks, i shall get that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.