Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:43 PM   #201
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Amusing the latest bit of pro-SOPA/PIPA propaganda coming out of Hollywood states that these new laws are needed to shut down sites like MegaUpload.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:10 PM   #202
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

So is there actual evidence that Megaupload was complicit with copyright infringement?
Sedulous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:13 PM   #203
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedulous View Post
So is there actual evidence that Megaupload was complicit with copyright infringement?
There were "Emails" of staff admitting.

Emails can be forged though, unless they were signed with a DKIM key or a certificate.
MorphingDragon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:25 PM   #204
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

Is that enough evidence to prosecute? Probably depends on what those messages say. Still, I guess it the prospect of being accountable for every file was enough for other upload sites to shutter.
Sedulous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:01 PM   #205
Airforcekid
macrumors 65816

No rapidshare and 2Shared seem to be filling the void slowly will be awhile before the great selection is back though.

Check out Navi X though it has icefilms and other site scrappers.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:41 AM   #206
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
Yeah, it'd have to be streaming, but seeing as everything is becoming "cloud" based now anyway, that shouldn't present much of an issue to most people as long as they have decent internet connections.

Netflix, Hulu, and Spotify are all examples of how this kind of thing can work with monthly fees. And I reckon a similar model can be used for an ad funded streaming content site and it'd be successful.

Looking at the bigger picture, and maybe I'm just being too idealistic, but I've seen people become "YouTube famous" enough to make a living purely off of making funny videos, so I don't think it's to be sniffed at.

In terms of music, I strongly believe that, over the next few years, the independents will start to become bigger and bigger, and they'll distribute online directly, for free, and make money from ads and donations, or simply sell directly on iTunes. Once this talent realises they don't need record labels to become a success, the labels will die out in a decade or so, or continue running in a much smaller, more niche market.

Movies and TVs are more difficult, of course, due to the far higher costs of production, but as technology advances over time, they'll follow suit. It'll just take longer. History has shown that the type of gadgets anyone can buy in shops eventually becomes more powerful and advanced than what professionals used years back (today's games consoles have significantly more power than computers NASA used for the moon landing, as an extreme example).

As I see it, the future is in talented people providing content directly to the consumer and the days of the dinosaur middleman are numbered. All this SOPA and PIPA and ACTA and closing down of upload sites is only preventing the inevitable. Technology will win and beat the dated business model of the industry. It'll just take a bit more time for everything to fall into place. But for music, it's already started. And once this becomes more common, free streaming will be the norm because, without the middleman, and with better technology, costs drop significantly.
I think we both see a similar future. I just think it will take longer to get there, there will still be powerful gatekeepers (be it major labels, Netflix, Apple, etc.,.) though, unlike in the past, there will be alternatives to use besides gatekeepers, and the challenge for content creators will continue to transition from "how do I get this made" to "how do I get this noticed" in a world that becomes more crowded with content (some quality, most crap) everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedulous View Post
Is that enough evidence to prosecute? Probably depends on what those messages say. Still, I guess it the prospect of being accountable for every file was enough for other upload sites to shutter.
I doubt the arrests would've been made if they didn't feel they had enough evidence to prosecute. And the thing is, I don't think they really need a mountain of evidence. It's no question that Megaupload was used to illegally distribute software, movies, music, etc.,. The question is, was Megaupload complicit with that illegal distribution? All it takes is one comment in one email or chat log to completely blow up Megaupload's stance that they were not complicit with the illegal activity that was going on.

Lethal
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:58 AM   #207
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
I think we both see a similar future. I just think it will take longer to get there, there will still be powerful gatekeepers (be it major labels, Netflix, Apple, etc.,.) though, unlike in the past, there will be alternatives to use besides gatekeepers, and the challenge for content creators will continue to transition from "how do I get this made" to "how do I get this noticed" in a world that becomes more crowded with content (some quality, most crap) everyday.
Indeed, getting yourself noticed will be the hard part. You can already see this in e-publishing, where the independent authors can now offer their content alongside the mainstream publishers, but getting that content seen by a wide audience is an issue.

This is where "piracy" will continue to be useful, I think. I'm actually looking to be a writer and I'd be delighted if people started pirating my ebooks because it'd mean there was a lot of interest in them and they'd be more likely to, well, "go viral" I guess. More people would discover them and look at other things I write and it'd help my career.

Independent content creators already know this, which is why they give away their albums or books or whatever it is for free. Hell, every Steal This Film project was officially uploaded and given away on torrent sites and they managed to keep making more with the donations they received, so it's already starting to happen in films.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:59 PM   #208
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
This is where "piracy" will continue to be useful, I think. I'm actually looking to be a writer and I'd be delighted if people started pirating my ebooks because it'd mean there was a lot of interest in them and they'd be more likely to, well, "go viral" I guess. More people would discover them and look at other things I write and it'd help my career.
It's not piracy though if you are choosing to give it out for free. If someone wants to give their work out for free that's their call and more power to them. But if someone *doesn't* want to give out their work for free I think people should respect that.

When you are first starting out you'll take anything you can get, but, trust me, that gets old. Once you start wanting to stop living like a pauper, self-fund your retirement account, buy a home, have a family, send the kids to college, etc., then getting paid becomes much more of a focus. The jacked up thing about the entertainment industry is how eager people are to devalue themselves and their work in the off chance that it might lead to something lucrative later. I'd be lying if I said I'd never done it but, hell, that doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do. Of course this is a whole 'nother rant.

Quote:
Independent content creators already know this, which is why they give away their albums or books or whatever it is for free. Hell, every Steal This Film project was officially uploaded and given away on torrent sites and they managed to keep making more with the donations they received, so it's already starting to happen in films.
In the most recent data I found (not that I did an exhaustive search mind you) Steal This Film had received around $30,000 dollars US by the end of 2009. That's not very much money at all. I'm sure a lot of people worked pro bono on the film because they believed in the message (been there too) but working for free is not a sustainable business model. For solo artists with low overhead there are more options now but they don't scale very well. I mean, a singer/songwriter pulling in $40k/yr via social media can live a pretty comfortable life in many parts of the US but for a four piece band that's only $10k/yr.

The big thing has, and always will be, money. Louis CK has $250k to self-fiance his own comedy special. Joss Wheedon has money and industry friend who'll do him favors so he can do something like Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. They have the ways and means to provide their own funding and only a handful of people do. Crowd funding services like Kickstarter are certainly giving people a funding option that didn't exist before, but even that is still more micro-budget than not (at least in the film making world)

Although it's getting a bit long in the tooth there is a really good book called Fans, Friends & Followers that looks at the changing face of distribution and marketing. Basically, the fewer people involved the better, to a degree you'll have to depend on the charity of others (like musicians saving money on tours by couch surfing at the homes of fans) and plan on giving away your work for free and generating revenue from other sources (ex. you have a free on line comic, but you make money via merchandising).

In the end I think the new options will supplement, not replace, the existing options.

Lethal
Old Mar 4, 2012, 03:36 AM   #209
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Campbell Live interviews Kim Dotcom after hes released from Jail. Interesting Watch.

http://vimeo.com/37786896
MorphingDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 04:55 AM   #210
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

Thanks for the link MD,it is interesting.I'm waiting for the FBI to go after the head of one of the big banks who offer safety deposit storage around the world and claim immunity because they have no control over what their customers use them for.I fear I'll be waiting a very long time.
Peterkro is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:09 PM   #211
0dev
macrumors 68040

Very very good song on why piracy is good:

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues