Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Mar 4, 2012, 03:13 AM   #1
ivorito
macrumors member

What RAM do I need to buy?

Hi, i have the 2010 uni-body white mac book. It has the 2.4 GHz core 2 duo processor. Apple says that the maximum RAM is 4Gb but numerous other sources say it is 8GB. At the moment i have 4Gb, but i would like to upgrade to 8. No idea what RAM i need to buy though... Any suggestions? I had a look on the crucial scanner thing but they seem to think it only goes up to 4GB too, so there were no 2*4Gb modules suggested. (if you do use a link, it would be preferable if it was for the UK :P )
Thanks very much

----------

Sorry, I probably should of left a link to one. Would this one work?
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/part...e=pd_google_uk
ivorito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 03:19 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Run the scanner from Crucial, it will tell you exactly what you can install:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/MacOS.aspx
Old Mar 4, 2012, 03:33 AM   #3
ivorito
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Run the scanner from Crucial, it will tell you exactly what you can install:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/MacOS.aspx
I did earlier, as i tried to say, but it only says it goes up to 4GB for my Mac-book. However, many other places say it actually goes up to 8Gb so crucial did not tell me what modules i can use for 8Gb.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 03:50 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

If Crucila says 4, then 4 it probably is...They don't tend to get it wrong often.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 04:04 AM   #5
ivorito
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
If Crucila says 4, then 4 it probably is...They don't tend to get it wrong often.
Yeah but I'm pretty sure other sources say otherwise:

Every-mac say its 8gb (follow link, on specs near the bottom)
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...010-specs.html

Mactracker also say 8Gb is maximum, and having read some threads on forums, it seems many people have done the upgrade...
Old Mar 4, 2012, 04:19 AM   #6
tug
macrumors 6502

found this;http://www.cclonline.com/product/360...Stick/RAM5985/

but this one is 1066mhz, mine takes 1067mhs ddr3. i don't know if it makes any difference, but would like to know.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 04:22 AM   #7
Macman45
macrumors G5

From past experience that RAM should work fine...If you install RAM that's faster than your Mac supports, my understanding is that it will simply run at the max speed your LB and system allows.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 04:31 AM   #8
tug
macrumors 6502

great to know bud, thanks for that, i think I'm just gonna go to 6gb (1x 2gb + 1x4gb)

for what i do it should be all i need. sometimes practically max ram out when doin cpu intensive stuff (lowest i got to was 15mb free )
Old Mar 4, 2012, 04:52 PM   #9
macmastersam
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Intel should be able to tell you if you know the exact model C2D CPU that that MacBook has, everymac should tell you if you don't know. Google the C2D model and find the intel result. They usually provide info like cores, features stuff like that. The even tell you how much mac RAM is allowed as well. So the information intel tell you is more Important because they know thier products inside out.
macmastersam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 05:33 PM   #10
logana
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmastersam View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Intel should be able to tell you if you know the exact model C2D CPU that that MacBook has, everymac should tell you if you don't know. Google the C2D model and find the intel result. They usually provide info like cores, features stuff like that. The even tell you how much mac RAM is allowed as well. So the information intel tell you is more Important because they know thier products inside out.
???????

Yes - Intel know more about how much ram a MacBook can support than anybody else !!! News to me - I think that the motherboard design might be a bit more important than the processor...

If you look at the link to the Crucial ram in the first post then you will notice that the 3rd or 4th comment about the 2 x 4GB PC8500 kit is from the owner of a white 2010 Unibody MacBook saying how well it works......
Old Mar 5, 2012, 02:01 AM   #11
ivorito
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logana View Post
???????

Yes - Intel know more about how much ram a MacBook can support than anybody else !!! News to me - I think that the motherboard design might be a bit more important than the processor...

If you look at the link to the Crucial ram in the first post then you will notice that the 3rd or 4th comment about the 2 x 4GB PC8500 kit is from the owner of a white 2010 Unibody MacBook saying how well it works......
Derpy derpy derp... Thankyou very much... I just posted that link very quickly without looking it over much. Thanks, i shall get that.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook