Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:42 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Production of 7.85-Inch iPad Reportedly Moving Closer as More Suppliers Named

Digitimes has been one of the biggest sources of rumors regarding a potential "iPad mini" carrying a 7.85-inch screen that the publication says Apple is targeting for release later this year. Digitimes now points to a new report [Google translation] from Taiwanese newspaper United Evening News making similar claims and outlining a number of companies making up Apple's supply chain for the device.

According to the report, Apple will be utilizing Pegatron as its assembler for the device, forgoing its main partner Foxconn for this project. Apple and Pegatron do, however, have a long-standing relationship with the assembler already contributing to iPhone production and rumored at several points to be involved in iPad 3 production as well.

Mockup of 7.85-inch iPad next to an iPhone
On the display side, the report claims that LG Display will be responsible for 70-75% of the workload for the smaller iPad, with AU Optronics handling the remainder. Samsung, which is a key part of Apple's supply chain but with which Apple is currently engaged in a massive patent dispute, has reportedly been shut out of display production for the new device. The report also claims that Radiant Opto-Electronics and Forhouse will be contributing backlight components for the 7.85-inch iPad.

The newspaper had previously named LG and AU Optronics as display suppliers for the device, claiming in October that Apple was planning to launch the smaller iPad early this year. The Wall Street Journal weighed in last month with its own claims that Apple was working with those companies on the project, but noted that there is no guarantee Apple will ever release the device.

Article Link: Production of 7.85-Inch iPad Reportedly Moving Closer as More Suppliers Named
MacRumors is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Bchagey
macrumors 6502

I doubt it.
Bchagey is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:49 AM   #3
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Sorry, I'm not buying a smaller tablet.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
...the publication says Apple is targeting for release later this year.
"It will be called 'iPhone 5'"
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:50 AM   #5
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

It's great for the people who want a smaller tablet, but I think they have nailed it with the current 9.7" display. It's not too big, but not too small either. The same goes for Samsung and Asus by the way, who also have excellent screen diagonals around the 10"-mark.
ThatsMeRight is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:50 AM   #6
GoGa
macrumors regular

What is peoples obsession with having bigger phones and smaller tablets? I don't get it.
GoGa is offline   43 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:51 AM   #7
shadowkhas
macrumors newbie

-

Last edited by shadowkhas; Dec 13, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
shadowkhas is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

iNote. It will sell Millions. DO NOT underestimate the power of "purse compliant".
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:51 AM   #9
BobbyRond
macrumors regular

I hope this doesn't happen. Not only for the unnecessary product diversification that got to Apple when John Sculley was in charge.

Also I hope this doesn't happen for all those developers out there having to resize their apps once again.
BobbyRond is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:51 AM   #10
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

The 10" iPad is great for home use, but I think a 8" iPad is better for on the go.
coolspot18 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:53 AM   #11
JGowan
macrumors 68000

I don't know why people poopoo the idea of a cheaper, smaller iPad. One of the main reasons why people are buying the Kindle Fire is for their kids. They have smaller fingers AND at $200, they can justify buying a tablet for the child. I know someone very happy with the purchase because of Amazon Prime and the free movies and tv shows that you can stream with the annual subscription to the program.

I think children need to be addicted to these things too. They are Apple's future revenue!

Last edited by JGowan; Mar 5, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
JGowan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:53 AM   #12
ILikeTurtles
macrumors 6502

And somewhere Steve Jobs is spinning in his grave.
ILikeTurtles is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Bchagey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGa View Post
What is peoples obsession with having bigger phones and smaller tablets? I don't get it.
Unfortunately true
Bchagey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:54 AM   #14
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
The 10" iPad is great for home use, but I think a 8" iPad is better for on the go.
....and there are millions who see it the same way.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:55 AM   #15
godrifle
macrumors regular

I wonder...

...how the current iPad 2 resolution works out in terms of PPI for a smaller tablet of this size? If high enough, devs would not have to add yet another set of graphics.
godrifle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:55 AM   #16
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles View Post
Not. He was involved with this.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:56 AM   #17
Consultant
macrumors G5

Unlikely.

Full size magazines are just about readable on iPad.

Anything smaller and you either have to see everything at 1/2 size or scroll ALOT.
Consultant is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:57 AM   #18
pmz
Banned

I'm sure Digitimes is wrong, but...

Its possible Apple thinks the iPad mini could do for iPad, what the iPod mini did for iPod. The iPod mini hit the right price point, and with limited storage and screen size, blew the iPod market into the stratosphere.

A $199 iPad mini, could do that too. It wouldn't be for the traditional iPad buyer, but neither was the iPod mini for the iPod buyer.
pmz is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:57 AM   #19
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGa View Post
QFT.

i was thinking about this exactly.
BJMRamage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:57 AM   #20
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Agreed. I have quite a few pockets in which I can stuff my 7" Kindle, and I can alwasy hand it to my wife to stuff in her purse. It's a huge advantage. I much prefer to read as a time killer rather than play Angry Birds.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:57 AM   #21
Tinyluph
macrumors regular

When I first saw an iPad in real life I was actually surprised how small the thing really was. The even smaller form factors seem entirely pointless to me.
Tinyluph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:58 AM   #22
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan289 View Post
Sorry, I'm not buying a smaller tablet.
Oh no! Better call Apple and cancel them then!
Fizzoid is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:58 AM   #23
mdntcallr
macrumors 65816

for those of you questioning why Apple ought to do this is:

1- One size does not fit all, many smaller tablets are more affordable and work well.

2- kids can play and do well with smaller sizes, in my house, it would be great to have a smaller device my kids can share to learn with and more.

3- cost. these devices cost alot, more than some competing full sized laptops. why not do it smaller and bring prices down. people need more cost effective options.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:58 AM   #24
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

This rumor always seems odd for a variety of reasons.

I can understand smaller hands wanting a smaller device, but the regular is good for most everyone.

When you get a smaller iPad you get less battery, probably less hardware, and most likely less function. Why? A travel-sized iPad? Whu?

If the rumors of iPad4 in October are coming true, perhaps the iPad4 has such expanded capability that it will bridge the market to home computer function and make room for a smaller iPad that works like these last iPads/iPod Touches. Thus a release of such a device later in the year.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:58 AM   #25
Rafterman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles View Post
Since it takes a year or more and several mockups to produce a new device, I'm sure Steve Jobs had input into this, if not actually authorizing it.
Rafterman is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion