Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
I don't really know anything about photo software, so go easy on me...

So what's the difference between Elements and Lightroom? Similar pricing, both seem to be aimed at a similar user...what's the real difference, which is a better choice for a basic consumer user, and why do they have the two different apps instead of just making them one?

And for higher end users, would they still have use for this or is this functionality included in the full Photoshop?

the big advantage of lightroom over photoshop or elements is the work flow, you can bulk correct and edit, you see all your photos in a preview, it also helps manage shoots.

perpetuity

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Price is the new feature

@iRCL -- I've not seen the same trouble with Aperture you have experienced.
I've used it constantly on two generations of MBP, none recent, a G5 MP, and now a 2009 MP.

I have found the Aperture upgrades to solve problems in speed, and add great features.

Also, Aperture photo sharing is pretty darn simple for me. Your milage may vary...

@convergent I don't bill for my photography (haven't since days of film) so can't say I've integrated anything that kind of workflow. I have used Aperture for web work, managing galleries for publication, output for web, sharing to FB and more ... it's nice. But I hear you on LR and know there are a lot of devotees. For now I'm a happy Aperture customer.

W/re to Photoshop and Illustrator pricing.
I have used Photoshop since 1.0 (Digital Darkroom before that!), and Illustrator since v88. I dropped my Illustrator upgrades because the application became bloated, slow, buggy, and simply confusing with features I didn't care for. I may need to upgrade so I can use some old files I care about.

I have CS4 for Photoshop and it suffices. I am a big fan of Pixelmator too.
If Adobe were to ease pricing, stop adding features for features sake, remove the myriad ******** versions, and just ship a lean version of Illustrator and Photoshop it'd be a no-brainer.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
May check out the demo but i'll probably stick with aperture. Looking forward to aperture 4 if they ever get around to releasing it.

Yes! I'd love to be able to at least browse through my Aperture library on my iPad...!

As far as an iPad aperture app is concerned i'd prefer to just have one that will allow me to import pictures via the camera connection kit and then add all the ratings, metadata etc i would normally do to select images. Then when i get home i can import all that information as well as the photos into the desktop aperture ready for the heavy work.

Would also allow a nice way to have client input in the selection process for the times you are working with an awkward client.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I've been with Aperture since 1.0 and plan to continue for now. There have been issues relating to performance but they seem to have been addressed. Nonetheless, Apple needs to bump up the Aperture development team. It's a significant industry to be in right now and Apple is losing to Adobe.

Aperture 4 + an iOS companion app needs to be released this year or any remaining Aperture loyalists like myself will begin to switch over.

Apple's secrecy works for the consumer market but pro's need to be able to plan ahead. Final Cut and Aperture teams need to be more upfront about their software release schedule.

Last edited:

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Photoshop and Illustrator should be sold at this price.

Seriously? These are not products for the masses. Especially Illustrator. And if you want Photoshop functionality, get the consumer version. It does 90% of what of a Pro would need except 3D, Paths, and CMYK.

Everybody complaining. Geez, After Effects ALONE used to cost $3400 for the Production Bundle in the late 90s. Now it's $1000. Many Plug-Ins cost less than that. These are tools for people that use them to make money. If you make money with these tools, the cost is insignificant.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I would have jumped all over this a year ago when I went into my Aperture vs. Lightroom decision, but I went with Aperture and I'm not looking back. Aperture has been amazing for me. All the reviews about bugs scared me, but knock on wood I haven't had any problems, and just made a beautiful wedding album for a friend and couldn't believe how easy the process was.

caddisfly

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I've always wondered why the education upgrade price is the same as the normal upgrade price...

I think the syntax in the article's sentence was a bit mangled and unclear;

Generally there is no upgrade path for any education/academic editions.

There is education pricing and then there is upgrade pricing.

If you want to upgrade your education edition...you buy the new version. But unless you are a student or faculty at University of Forever, you will eventually become ineligible for the academic/education version and will have to buy the "real" one. [Note: Education products are not supposed to be used for commercial (make money) type of work]

Upgrade pricing only applies to owners of the commercial, non-education edition.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
I know this might be controversial and I'm not trying to stir up the ages old Aperture vs Lightroom debate, but I imagine there are other reasons for the price change other than Aperture, and I imagine the same price point will be applied on the Windows version where Aperture does not exist.

I have used both pieces of software (I now use iPhoto) and I have to say that while LR bugged me with some things it did, Aperture had far more significant problems. When I got Aperture it had added photo books support, and it was so buggy and slow that it was literally impossible to use without having it crash after long periods of beachballs. Updates came and did not address it, after a while I suppose it was fixed but I had certainly lost interest at that point. Sharing photos was/(still is?) pathetically complicated. The performance of the whole suite was ridiculously poor. The machine I used Aperture on (same as LR) was 2.4ghz MBP with 8GB of RAM and the photo library was large-ish but <50GB. None of this happened with any version or BETA of LR .. far from being an Adobe fan, I at least respect that they do reasonable verification of their software that they sell (for insane pricing)

The performance difference was very start in Aperture 1.0 vs Lightroom 1.0, but honestly I haven't seen any noticable performance difference with more recent versions of Aperture and Lightroom.

For me, the modality of Lightroom was the killer that pushed me back to the (then-slow) Aperture. The modalitity has been somewhat alleviated in more recent versions, but Lightroom still has a quite obvious "This Is How You Will Work" workflow which works far better than the way I actually want to work (whereas in Aperture the way I actually want to work is just as easy to do as the Lightroom Canonical Workflow is in Lightroom).

IMHO, the remaining clear advantage for Lightroom is the integration with Photoshop. If you have Photoshop and feel the need to send some reasonable number of your photos through that tool, Lightroom provides a better workflow than Aperture. I personally only use Photoshop (Elements, because I'd much rather spend the $800/year on lenses than on Photoshop CS) rarely, so Apertures export/import hoops don't end up bothering me very often. But, I can definitely see someone doing that every day would not want to suffer through Aperture's workflow.

The downsides: severe favoring of a Canonical Workflow, price, Adobe-isms, etc.

----------

To be fair, Photoshop Elements is a great product for non-pro users & is priced very reasonably.

Well, "great" is a bit of a stretch, and "reasonably" is still well above the better-featured competitors. But, it's something to consider, along with Pixelmator, Acorn, etc. IMHO, it reeks of "My First Photo Editor" way too much; I feel like I need to lower my IQ by 30 points when the PSE icon starts bouncing in the dock.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
I don't really know anything about photo software, so go easy on me...

So what's the difference between Elements and Lightroom? Similar pricing, both seem to be aimed at a similar user...what's the real difference, which is a better choice for a basic consumer user, and why do they have the two different apps instead of just making them one?

And for higher end users, would they still have use for this or is this functionality included in the full Photoshop?

Photoshop (Elements or CS) is a destructive editor. If you go into Photoshop and change the sky purple and save it, the sky is purple. Granted, PSD files can use layers to keep things from being destructive and can store an edit history so you cn go back in the sequence, but at heart it's a destructive editor with "oops"-recovery features bolted on.

Lightroom (as Aperture) is a non-destructive editor. If you go into Lightroom and apply a filter to make the sky purple, you can always go back and remove that filter or adjust the filter to make the sky green, whatever. While you can take the current version and send it over to Photoshop etc for pixel-by-pixel editing, at heart Lightroom works as a "cookbook" where you create a recipe and see the results live.

As far as when they are used, generally speaking Lightroom/Aperture replace what a traditional photographer would do in a dark room, tweaking exposure and color image-wide and with masks, etc. Photoshop is more along the lines of "creating" information in the image (such as removing power lines and creating the sky that would have been there). The tools of each can sometimes be used to accomplish the tasks of the other, but if you have both then you're in a more efficient position.

If you decide you want a destructive editor, I'd encourage looking at one of the non-Adobe products rather than Photoshop Elements. Pixelmator and Acorn are the two main competitors out there; I've moved almost completely over to Pixelmator these days. The advantages of going non-Adobe are (1) price/upgrade strategy, (2) less retardation of interface, and (3) performance.

And, yes, full-on pros who use Photoshop will generally also use Lightroom or Aperture for the whole-image development tasks.

HLX

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
Had Aperture for about 2 years now and I'm hoping for a radically new version. My (and clearly a lot of other people's) experience of running version 3 has been painful, and was only remotely stable for me at 3.2 . It is a monumentally unstable resource hog. It may have a better general UI and workflow than LR, but that's about it.

I've played with the LR 4 beta for a couple of months now and it's amazing. Its just better at editing photographs. Its brush and gradient level controls are simply way more powerful than Aperture, noise reduction and exposure being key examples. Aperture simply can't match it.

Having said that, I'd rather Apple get their ar*e in gear and give it the update it needs, than migrate my library into Adobeness on my Mac. But if Aperture 4 takes to long to appear (or just sucks), I might have to. Especially at that price.

Probably wouldn't be alone either. Frankly, a combination of PSE 10 and LR4 represents a ton of power for the price now.

Haha that sounds like an ad. But at least Adobe are having a real go in this space. Apple need to share their plans.

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Canonical Workflow aside, I really could not be happier with Lightroom3. I never felt comfortable managing the actual file hierachy with Aperture- I personally found LR to be much better at managing backups and virtual copies.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Just wanted to thank you for your posts. I’m an old school Photoshop user, let my license lapse (so full priced purchase), got behind several versions, and recently migrated over to a Mac.

I’m not a designer or pro photographer, but a developer that occasionally need a decent image editing app for icons, logos, screen UI elements (and an avid am photographer that needs a little photo tweaking).

I still have my ancient Winders© Photoshop available in a VM, but I’d like something native OSX. In a pinch I snagged Seashore which is a decent freebie, but I’m still looking for something a little more stout. Now giving some serious consideration to Acorn or Pixelmator.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
When I got Aperture it had added photo books support, and it was so buggy and slow that it was literally impossible to use without having it crash after long periods of beachballs.

What machine were you using? Aperture hadn't had that issue since Ver1. Aperture 2 addressed a plethora of issues, and was updated and successfully squashed bugs more often than FCP or Logic.

The biggest bottleneck may be your HDD, and your image library. I know that any library larger than 100GBs gave me issues on my Intel systems, but referencing the images fixed that issue. I've been referencing my images ever since.

infomatique

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2006
True. I have used the beta for many weeks and LR4 can indeed make an ordinary photograph stand out from the crowd.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Now everyone's photos can stand out from the crowd!

Wait...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Here in the UK the price with box is £103.00 or $162.00, sorry Adobe, I'm sticking with Aperture, you're propensity for ripping people off continues unabated.

The UK price includes VAT whereas the US price doesn't include sales tax. It's actually cheaper in the UK (£86.57 before tax = $136.24)

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Lightroom has an attractive exotic woman on it while Aperture has an unattractive part of a camera on it.

Aperture is clearly an inferior product.

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
I'm all over this. LR gets better with each release, I use PS less each time. I can't imagine Aperture could ever catch up, adequate as it may be for some folks.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Generally there is no upgrade path for any education/academic editions.

There is education pricing and then there is upgrade pricing.

If you want to upgrade your education edition...you buy the new version. But unless you are a student or faculty at University of Forever, you will eventually become ineligible for the academic/education version and will have to buy the "real" one. [Note: Education products are not supposed to be used for commercial (make money) type of work]

Upgrade pricing only applies to owners of the commercial, non-education edition.

This is wrong on both accounts.

You CAN upgrade from a Student and Teacher Edition product to the standard version for the regular upgrade price. There is no upgrade pricing from one Student and Teacher Edition to the next. Upgrade pricing only applies when going from Student and Teacher Edition to the non-academic version. (Source: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4104482 )

ALL Adobe Student and Teacher Editions are legal for commercial use. Only pre-CS3 *MACROMEDIA* products were ever ineligible for commercial use. ( http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/25f26dd.html#main_Can I use STE commercially)

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
great so why not do the same with ps, ilu..., after effects etc... ???? I refuse to pay for a expensive prices of adobe software

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Easy $80 spent.

And for the record... nobody will ever convince me that LR is actually an Adobe product. It's just too good.

kkent25

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2007
Canada
It terms of price LR vs Aperture. I believe LR is sold with two licenses and Aperture is sold with just one. At least that is my understanding.

soulbot

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
IMHO, the remaining clear advantage for Lightroom is the integration with Photoshop. If you have Photoshop and feel the need to send some reasonable number of your photos through that tool, Lightroom provides a better workflow than Aperture.

I'm not sure that I can agree here. What's the difference?

In Aperture you assign an "external editor" (they'd be smart to eventually let you assign more than ONE, but I digress.) Right-click the image, choose "Edit With", select your image editor—Photoshop. A new PSD file is created with the same name as the Master, right beside the Master in the Finder. Opens in PS, edit, save, close. This file appears in Aperture now too.

It's basically the same in LR. Set up external editor, right-click, choose "Edit In" select Photoshop, etc.

I've been using Aperture for a few years, both personally & professionally. Over the past 6 months have been bringing LR into the arsenal. But what am I missing here? To me the process of editing in Photoshop from inside Aperture or from Lightroom seems pretty much identical. I just don't see this massive breach in the getting-to-Photoshop "workflow" between the two apps.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If you purchased LR3 in the past 30 days, the upgrade is free, but they send you the disc and serial. Download and email serial are not available.

Waste of money and customer service FAIL on their part.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Is there an easy way to move from Aperture to Lightroom? Including events and so on? I have about 40000 pictures in Aperture and if I could move easy I would think about doing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.