Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipadru.jpg

Bloomberg notes that the Russian government has reclassified the iPad as a computer, in order to avoid a steep import tax. The story was originally reported [Google Translate] by the Russian newspaper Vedomosti.

The reason for the tax was because the 3G iPad was considered a GPS-enabled navigation device. With the change, the iPad is now considered a mere computer -- however, many other tablets with GPS capabilities are still subject to the tax.

Article Link: Russia Reclassifies iPad To Bypass 5% Import Tax, Some Other Tablets Still Penalized

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I imagine that other manufacturers are going to demand a reclassification of their cellular tablets as well. The idea that a tablet would be considered a "navigation device" in the first place is a bit ridiculous, even if it does include rudimentary GPS.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I imagine that other manufacturers are going to demand a reclassification of their cellular tablets as well. The idea that a tablet would be considered a "navigation device" in the first place is a bit ridiculous, even if it does include rudimentary GPS.

yeah I expect the same. I also am willing to bet Apple put pressure on them for that change because classify the iPad as a GPS navigation device is a joke. Cell phones are much more of a navigation device that any tablet I can think of.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
You guys apparently have not seen some of the aircraft flight apps, have you.

iPad with said apps offers better navigation quality then most of the small aircraft, and even a few older big ones, in existence.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
This whole tax is probably a promotion tax for the Russian GLONASS, their answer to GPS. There are products out there which use both - like the iPhone 4S. Anyways, putting it on devices which are primarily for other use might convince Russia to excemt them from this tax - especially when every member of their parliament wants an iPad 3 (or 2S or HD or what ever will be called). Now, if Apple pays for using GLONASS anyways (because technically they do), this tax might be seen as obsolete since they now pay fees for that.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
You guys apparently have not seen some of the aircraft flight apps, have you.

iPad with said apps offers better navigation quality then most of the small aircraft, and even a few older big ones, in existence.

The only thing the FAA has approved the ipad for is charts and flight manuals...

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's not a GPS-enabled navigation device any more, just a mere Computer

The problem is that it's all of the above and more. It's a more powerful PC with a better display than a couple IBM PCs and a PowerMac that I've owned, a more accurate GPS with better maps than my old handheld GPS, a better camera than my first digital camera, a voice recorder, a guitar tuner, a calendar PDA, an ebook reader, a portable music player, a handheld gaming device, a remote desktop thin-client, a vibration measuring device, a digital clock, ... etc.

If some government levied a tax on each of the above product categories, they could probably tax an iPad or iPhone at an amount well above what the thing costs.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

um, do you know the Russian Government at all?!

1) its not about logic, it's about monopolies
2) demand all you want, nothing will change. just ask Burger King why McDonald's is allowed in Russia but they are not.

Sorry, just saying if you are looking for logic or rights with the Russian Government then you must be looking for the Easter Rabbit as well. I got some eggs to sell you.

sergey19

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2010
um, do you know the Russian Government at all?!

1) its not about logic, it's about monopolies
2) demand all you want, nothing will change. just ask Burger King why McDonald's is allowed in Russia but they are not.

Actually there are Burger King's in Moscow (they opened a couple of years ago)...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Bloomberg notes that the Russian government has reclassified the iPad as a computer, in order to avoid a steep import tax. The story was originally reported [Google Translate] by the Russian newspaper Vedomosti.

The reason for the tax was because the 3G iPad was considered a GPS-enabled navigation device. With the change, the iPad is now considered a mere computer -- however, many other tablets with GPS capabilities are still subject to the tax.

Article Link: Russia Reclassifies iPad To Bypass 5% Import Tax, Some Other Tablets Still Penalized

5% import tax is Steep?

There used to be 20% tax on cars where I am from, now that is steep.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Actually there are Burger King's in Moscow (they opened a couple of years ago)...

I stand corrected, only took BK 20 years (and still only a few) after the first McDonald's near Red Square . I think my point stands. No one forces Russia to do anything in a timely fashion that Russia does not want to do (for whatever reasons). Or do you disagree with that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.