Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Verge reports that Apple's iPad 3 launch tomorrow will see the inclusion of the A5X system-on-a-chip that first surfaced in a photo leak several weeks ago. According to the report, the A5X contains a dual-core application processor as found in the A5, but includes improved graphics capabilities and more RAM than found in the A5.

ipad_3_a5x_logic_board_crop.jpg

Previously-leaked photo of claimed iPad 3 logic board with A5X chip

On the connectivity front, the report claims that Apple will be releasing multiple versions of its cellular-enabled iPad 3 models, with separate LTE models for AT&T and Verizon and a third cellular model for international markets that is limited to 3G GSM and CDMA networks.
There have been rumors flying that the iPad 3 would be LTE capable, and we're told that it will definitely be announced for both the Verizon and AT&T networks tomorrow. To be clear, that would mean two distinct, separate versions of the LTE tablet (one for each network). In addition, there's a third international model which does double duty on 3G; a CDMA / GSM model using a similar radio chipset to the iPhone 4S (a Qualcomm Gobi chip). That's a little odd considering LTE chipsets from Qualcomm can be utilized on those same bands, but there may be reasons (cost for instance) that Apple would want to separate the hardware.
In line with expectations, The Verge claims that Apple will also be introducing an updated Apple TV tomorrow, packing 1080p video capabilities to be paired with AirPlay streaming and mirroring functionality in the iPad 3 and OS X Mountain Lion.

Article Link: Dual-Core A5X iPad 3 Coming Tomorrow with Multiple LTE and 3G Variants?

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I really don't care about internals as long as it runs 1080P, LTE, and the "Retina Display" well. :)

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
hey cool! another big iPod that I will use for 6 days and then find nothing useful to do with it!

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
Yes, exactly the same down to the exact frequency.

There might be some very minute technical differences (anandtech probably has some awesome over my head analysis), but the point being Qualcomm has a new base band supporting pretty much all the LTE/3G GSM/CDMA variants. Which begs the question: why the carrier specific models? I thought they were trying to get away from that.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Ugh - That means at least 14 models again in the USA, to add to launch outages and confusion. :rolleyes:

Tony

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Isn't 4G LTE the same on AT&T and Verizon ?

Data protocols, yes.

Frequencies, No
Activation, No
BS bureaucracy, No
Obscene fees, No

I didn't think they were the same either and this article appears to confirm it as well.

And even if they were, there would still be the issue of their different 3G technologies as I'm sure data would fall back to these in the absence of LTE being available.

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
Maybe the separate "international" version is to prevent all the damn scalpers from buying all the AT&T iPads and shipping them back to China... I know that the scalpers hosed it up badly last year for me. Had to pick up a Verizon iPad when I wanted an AT&T model.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I know that naming isn't important here and as I stated in the other A5X related thread Bob Mansfield and his team will make this product scream. But coming from an iPad 2 it makes me a little less enthusiastic about upgrading to this iPad.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Time Capsules/Airport

I wouldn't be surprised if there were new Time Capsules (and Airports?) tomorrow or soon given the demands of HD video AND the 1-2 week shipping estimates for Time Capsules as of last night.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Oh no. The spec boys are going to go nuts with no quad core processor. We'll have to listen to them howl about getting an Acer Samsung Xyboard (but they'll really just get an ipad anyway).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.