Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Wonder if there are any hidden features in the GM builds?How cool would it be if we had a better map option

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
SBSettings-like toggles for Notification Center?
Quick Reply (like BiteSMS) for Messages?

These two alone would be enough to make me stop jailbreaking...maybe. :D

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
No I get that, but there would be software to support it, correct? Obviously my iPhone 4S won't magically get NFC. I'm just saying, maybe that's part of the software support.

Yes, obviously there would be some kind of application to support the NFC, but that isn't coming until we see the hardware that supports it..But quite possibly in the next iPhone and iOS6.

I was in a store the other day and the guy in front of me used his NFC enabled cell phone to pay for his stuff. It was quick, painless, and awesome.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Well, hopefully they fixed the iOS 5 kerning issue...

ios5_kerning.jpg

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Yes, obviously there would be some kind of application to support the NFC, but that isn't coming until we see the hardware that supports it..But quite possibly in the next iPhone and iOS6.

I was in a store the other day and the guy in front of me used his NFC enabled cell phone to pay for his stuff. It was quick, painless, and awesome.

Or maybe apple has NFC built in already like how N-support was secretly included in Macs but no one knows about it?

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
SBSettings-like toggles for Notification Center?
Quick Reply (like BiteSMS) for Messages?

These two alone would be enough to make me stop jailbreaking...maybe. :D

Add FaceTime over 3G and non-limited iTunes/App store downloads to that list and I'm with you.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

sulpfiction said:

Ah, but was it magical? :p

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

I sometimes use my NFC enabled credit card. Lets compare process.

Take card out, tap on reader, sign receipt.
vs. old school method
Take card out, swipe on reader, sign receipt

I just don't see the benefit, time, or cost savings. I will still have a wallet for ID, licenses, spare cash, condom, member cards, reward punch cards, insurance, etc.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Or maybe apple has NFC built in already like how N-support was secretly included in Macs but no one knows about it?

Just like this, people seem to be forgetting that Apple has hidden components inside their devices before. The 2nd Generation iPod touch had a Bluetooth radio in it, but nobody knew until iOS 3.0 arose. NFC could very well be hidden in the iPhone 4S

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Just like this, people seem to be forgetting that Apple has hidden components inside their devices before. The 2nd Generation iPod touch had a Bluetooth radio in it, but nobody knew until iOS 3.0 arose. NFC could very well be hidden in the iPhone 4S

Didn't the iFixit tear down reveal that Bluetooth radio a year before the software was there to use it?

Ok ok, 6 months ahead
http://www.ifixit.com/blog/2009/03/17/apple-unlocks-bluetooth-in-ipod-touch-2nd-generation/

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
People, features aren't bug fixes. Currently known 5.1 change list (bold = feature):
  • Enhanced Siri dictation support during text input "on supported devices" (iPhone 4S in 2011) (i.e. Turn on or off Bluetooth, take a picture etc.).
  • Carrier updates (e.g. AT&T 11.1).
  • Baseband updates.
  • Battery life reportedly fixed.
  • Fixes iPhone 4S support for Caller ID Name Display (on supported carriers – i.e. Rogers & Fido in Canada).
  • Users can now enter any Apple ID to sign-up for an iCloud account. Previously, they had to use (or create a new) me.com email Apple ID.
  • Images can now be removed manually from the Photo Stream in iCloud. Any photos deleted are now also removed from other iOS devices connected to iCloud.
  • Shake-to-shuffle bug fix, which caused the Music app to freeze.
  • The Setup Assistant caused an “infinite setup loop” for some users. When the setup was completed, the iPhone would jump back to a “thank you” screen ad infinitum. Users had to reboot the device to restore functionality.
  • SpringBoard bug fix, the home screen for the iPhone would sometimes fall into a state when double-clicking the home button would not display the Camera icon.
  • Turn on or off 3G toggle restored on iPhone 4S.
  • Possible Siri support, assumed because of the new "Siri Settings" menu.
  • Lock screen arrow slider; smaller and square when before it was bigger and more rectangular.
  • Bluetooth bug fix; enabling Bluetooth and returning to home screen, the Bluetooth icon still remains in the status bar.
  • Facebook integration. A new Facebook username field in the Contacts application and the ability to upload pictures directly to Facebook via Camera Roll.
  • Possible bug fixes on Wi-Fi signal strength on all devices.
  • Safari, address bar added text (Go to this address).
  • Improved Assistive Touch.
  • Improved Location Services.
  • License column added, under the About menu.
  • Possible support for Siri in Japanese, assuming since Siri said she supports Japanese.
  • Possible fix to Outgoing Call No Audio (OCNA) issue.[citation needed]
  • New Lockscreen camera button no longer have to double tap home button just swipe up to access Camera.app.

I suspect at least one of the new features to be iPad 3 exclusive.

lewi

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011

vs. old school method

I just don't see the benefit, time, or cost savings. I will still have a wallet for ID, licenses, spare cash, condom, member cards, reward punch cards, insurance, etc.

That, I have to say, sounds pretty painful.

I've used mine in the UK for low-value purchases and haven't had to sign anything. Admittedly, doesn't cut down much time really for an individual user (how long does entering a PIN take?) but for high volume transactions, every second saved counts. The time I used it was in a sandwich shop at an airport. Lots of customers, and if a percentage of people used an NFC card, they'd reduce queues therefore increase throughput.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
That, I have to say, sounds pretty painful.

I've used mine in the UK for low-value purchases and haven't had to sign anything. Admittedly, doesn't cut down much time really for an individual user (how long does entering a PIN take?) but for high volume transactions, every second saved counts. The time I used it was in a sandwich shop at an airport. Lots of customers, and if a percentage of people used an NFC card, they'd reduce queues therefore increase throughput.

I tap my wallet and the machine reads my debit card and I walk out no signing no pin needed so easy

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Hopefully

It will include a fix for double message alert tones.

It will include a fix for defaulting to speakerphone and getting stuck on it when making or receiving calls.

It will remove Siri integration from voice dialing. Call me crazy but I would like to make a call using my local address book and not have to wait for a server in North Carolina or wherever to respond. It should not have to take 1+minutes just to voice dial a number.

At this point I don't care about new features. I'd just like my phone to function properly.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

I'm pretty sure that if apple hid "NFC" chips in the 4S it would have been discovered by now. And the bluetooth radio (I believe) was discovered in a tear down well before it was announced.

scades

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
I'd settle for an update that would stop my Verizon 4s from reporting SIM Failure, and No Service. And, yes, it would be nice if my Contacts didn't keep disappearing and I could manage a 24-hour day without running out of battery.
In any case, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that iOS 5.1 will solve these problems. Anything else will be just icing on the cake for me.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Please let me disable/silence notifications during a call!

OK, that's enough. You get the point.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

vs. old school method

Not a good comparison..You are still taking our your wallet, opening it, pulling out a card mixed in with your condoms, license, member cards, etc. tapping it on the reader, putting it back in your wallet, closing the wallet, etc.

Versus...Taking my phone off my hip, tapping the reader, putting phone back on hip.

I agree it's not a HUGE benefit, but a benefit none the less. I watched a guy do it and believe it or not, it was much faster and seemingly a lot easier. Not to mention pretty cool.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Feature: panorama camera mode.

Bingo. This is a hidden feature now, so it is quite realistic. Also, since the iPad 3 will come with a better camera, it would be a good thing to demo.

I'm hoping for a unified search/address bar ala Safari 5.2. I've already gotten so used to it I will accidentially use the address bar to search in iOS.

Other possibilities are big iPad-only features they could show off, such as Widgets and multiple user support. However, these are more likely reserved for iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.