Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
My S.W.A.G...

The A5X goes in the Apple TV 3/HD
The A6 goes in the iPad 3

Apple assigned a crew of people to look at the iPad 3 with the A5X just to see if they could be trusted, and whoops! looks like photos of those got leaked.

I think the iPad will always get the faster chip first, it makes sense to me.

Although it does seem like Quad-Core + 4G + RD = serious strain on battery life. I would rather have the legendary batter life than all three above. 4G is probably the lowest on my list.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Also people, realise that a quad core processor was told by "reliable sources", as this rumor is.

Point is, some reliable source will become less reliable tommorow.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Although it does seem like Quad-Core + 4G + RD = serious strain on battery life. I would rather have the legendary batter life than all three above. 4G is probably the lowest on my list.

there is a word for that, BIG + Little computing or something, use all the cores when need it or use only one Core.

nVidia has this i believe

stoplis

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Hopefully the X stands for 'eXtreme!'.
All joking aside, I would be very happy with a retina display, and a boost in memory would push it to 1GB which would certainly make an improvement (the low memory in my iPad 1 is my biggest complaint). And you never know, as it's an A5X it could have a slightly higher clock speed, like 1.2Ghz plus a boost in graphics power.

Just counting down the hours and minutes now.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Therbo said:
It might be a dumb question but... say I went to the US with my UK Ipad running on 3G... would my Ipad work in the US if I put either a Verizon or At&T sim because of this 4G?:confused:

If you went to the US with a GSM iPad it will roam onto a US GSM network (AT&T or T-Mobile)

Not necessarily - doesn't T-mobile use a different GSM band for 3G so unless it is has both carriers bands it won't work; much as the iPhone is limited to Edge data on T-mobile?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Therbo said:
It might be a dumb question but... say I went to the US with my UK Ipad running on 3G... would my Ipad work in the US if I put either a Verizon or At&T sim because of this 4G?:confused:

If you went to the US with a GSM iPad it will roam onto a US GSM network (AT&T or T-Mobile)

Not necessarily - doesn't T-mobile use a different GSM band for 3G so unless it is has both carriers bands it won't work; much as the iPhone is limited to Edge data on T-mobile?

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Who needs an XBOX 360 (aka. The Microwave) when you could soon be playing rich 1080p iOS games on your TV? It's amazing how technology has come on.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Mac Pros with A5X processors and LTE? What?

Oh sorry, I just assumed it was news about a Mac Pro. You know those towers that Apple makes for pros? The ones that have had the same case design for 7 years and have not been refreshed for 2 years....

Patience young one, your time will come. It must do considering Intel have launched the fecking new Xeons now!

----------

Who needs an XBOX 360 (aka. The Microwave) when you could soon be playing rich 1080p iOS games on your TV? It's amazing how technology has come on.

Don't even go there........... if you do I'll lend you a shovel.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
i like to think of the A6 processor as the redesigned iPhone 5 (4S) that was so "rumored" last year.

We all saw parts of a normal iPhone 4 when it turned out to be the 4S! and we never saw any actual iPhone 5 "Redesigned" parts get "Leaked"

and now we got the A5X processor as "Leaked" which makes it the best possibility to make it in the upcoming "iPad 3"

As well as Retina Display it is now "Leaked" but last year with iPad 2 it was "Rumored" it never actually got "Leaked".

:cool:

So now i think iPad 3 will have A5X Processor, Larger Battery (because of a smaller Logic board), and a Retina Display. Hope iOS 5.1 will be released soon too. :rolleyes:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

rkahl said:
New Apple TV will need a5X for 1080P. New iPad will have quad core a6.

Nope. 3 cores. To be called the:
trIcorder

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I have a question for those of you excited about LTE. I ask because I'm curious and trying to learn about this. I don't ask to be snarky.

Are you concerned that LTE will cause you to blow through your data plan? I realize that if all you do is view web pages and such that you may not be more likely to increase your overall data usage. However, if all you do is page viewing it would seem that you wouldn't particularly care about LTE speeds.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Me thinks people have the iPad HD confused with the Apple TV HD

iPad 3 and Apple TV HD.

Now that makes sense.

no quad core no Sales :p

I know you're joking, but I think people who want the best possible iPad should actually want dual core not quad core.

Quad core isn't free:
* Those cores cost money and consume space and power. So quad core makes the iPad more expensive and either makes the iPad bigger/heavier or makes the battery life shorter (or some combo of the two).

That's OK if you get a better iPad... but do you?

For a quad core to pay off, you need to be doing three or more computationally intensive things at one time. (And things for which a dedicated coprocessor doesn't exist.)

But how often does that really happen?

iOS and well written general apps do a lot of things in the background. But these are mostly I/O operations or things for which dedicated coprocessor exist (like decoding sound files during playback). It's hard to see a general use for more than two cores here.

Games are different. You can easily see a need for more than two cores: e.g., consider scene management, A.I.+pathfinding, physics/environment simulation.

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of your iPad.
But it doesn't seem worth it to me personally to pay the price of quad core to get some richer high-end games. (It's not easy to write games that effetively use four cores, so it's mainly going to only be the highend games that can do this.)

Anyway, that all just educated speculation on my part. It will be interesting to see what comes out tomorrow. I'm going to stick with my 1st gen iPad in any case.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I don't think Quad is really needed at this point. More memory and faster graphics will boost performance enough IMO.

Can't really comment on LTE until we really see what the options are and package options are. Are they going to be the same as 3G for the same amount of data, or is there going to be a price premium? I'm betting on the latter. Like others I'm also a bit concern with how many versions there are going to be.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
hey cool! another big iPod that I will use for 6 days and then find nothing useful to do with it!

Really? You are very lonesome with this opinion. I think you know it already.
80% of MBP ownder don´t need a laptop computer at all.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Hopefully the X stands for 'eXtreme!'.
All joking aside, I would be very happy with a retina display, and a boost in memory would push it to 1GB which would certainly make an improvement (the low memory in my iPad 1 is my biggest complaint). And you never know, as it's an A5X it could have a slightly higher clock speed, like 1.2Ghz plus a boost in graphics power.

Just counting down the hours and minutes now.

And any additional power they add to the thing is just going to be lost trying to drive that high resolution.

I don't give a crap about a retina display. I'd rather just have a faster ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.