Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applecare_plus_icon-150x150.jpg
With the launch of the iPhone 4S last October, Apple debuted AppleCare+ for iPhone, a new $99 extended warranty program that includes coverage for accidental damage to the user's device over the two-year coverage period.

Valid for up to two incidents of accidental damage with a $49 deductible per incident, the expanded AppleCare+ offering replaced Apple's previous standard $69 AppleCare for iPhone that did not cover accidental damage.

MacRumors has now received word that Apple appears to be making a similar transition for the iPad with tomorrow's introduction of the iPad 3, rolling out a $99 AppleCare+ for iPad warranty that would replace the current $79 standard AppleCare package. While our source was unable to provide any specific details on coverage for the new AppleCare+ for iPad program, it would presumably mirror that of the corresponding iPhone plan with accidental damage coverage being included with a deductible.

Accidental damage has been a more common issue on the iPhone since the introduction of the iPhone 4 in 2010, due in part to the use of glass on both front and back of that device and its successor, the iPhone 4S. iPhones requiring replacement due to accidental damage had typically required a $199 replacement fee, although support staff generally had a fair amount of leeway in waiving that fee on a case-by-case basis. Apple has reportedly tightened up on that flexibility since the introduction of AppleCare+ for iPhone, now that accidental damage coverage is available through the plan.

While accidental damage may be a bit less of an issue for the iPad than for the iPhone given its proportionally lower glass surface area and perhaps fewer opportunities for damage in not being carried about as widely, some users will undoubtedly be pleased by the new AppleCare+ for iPad. The option of purchasing an extended warranty offering accidental damage coverage to limit significant repair or replacement bills should an incident occur is likely to be an appealing proposition for a number of customers.

Article Link: $99 AppleCare+ for iPad Coming Alongside iPad 3?

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
February 2013: Need to sell iPad... probably won't get as much as I want because there are scratches on the back.

BOOM. Oops, I dropped it!!

Later... brand new iPad with no scratches for very little more + more money gained when selling it.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
February 2013: Need to sell iPad... probably won't get as much as I want because there are scratches on the back.

Later... brand new iPad with no scratches for very little more + more money gained when selling it.

Nope - you would lose money - AppleCare+ and replacement cost would be more.

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
Urgg I was financially planning on the $79 one, oh well it like $20 more, will this one protect the iPad if the screen cracks?

Will you be able to buy it within a year of purchase? or does it have to be bought with the device like the iPhone?

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Little sister came over to visit and booom iPad destroyed this will be nice to have

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I have to think apple factored that into the cost of AppleCare+. Anyway, I am glad that true accidental damage will be covered with this new plan.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Thats good news.

I got the extended applecare for my iPhone 4s, and had to replace the broken glass once.
The guy at the Genius Bar couldn't charge my card, since the deductible always showed $0 instead of$50. After a few tries, he gave up and said, its your lucky day. Apple store experience is getting better every day :)

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX

You still have to pay $50 for a different one, and it's likely to be refurbished, not new.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I already get AppleCare on all of my devices. If at most I have to pay $100 more, I will still make more money selling it. When your device becomes ruined in any way, its monetary value goes down the drain.

Take one step backward to go two forward.

It's not $100, you have to add the deductible. You'd be better off to sell a moderately scratched iPad, because there's no way that you could make $148 extra revenue from a refurb vs. new iPad when the new one is about to come out.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
a large majority of people rather have someone else fix stuff that breaks. Wouldn't call them lazy. Opportunity cost at its finest.

nope definitely lazy. It's great for those providing the service. Especially warranties. Apple and others bank on people never utilizing it and recycles the old malfunctioning product and sells as refurbed.

Most repairs like the back panel replacement for an iPhone 4/4s take 30 seconds and are a quick google search would show that.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I already get AppleCare on all of my devices. If at most I have to pay $100 more, I will still make more money selling it. When your device becomes ruined in any way, its monetary value goes down the drain.

Take one step backward to go two forward.

You still must consider the cost of AppleCare even if you get it on all your devices. The point we are trying to make is that purchasing AppleCare+ and then paying for a replacement is not going to make you money.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
It's not $100, you have to add the deductible. You'd be better off to sell a moderately scratched iPad, because there's no way that you could make $148 extra revenue from a refurb vs. new iPad when the new one is about to come out.

I know that. I'm already losing the same amount on AppleCare because I get it anyway, as I said. If it's $100 more to get AppleCare+ and one new replacement, then it is worth the money. If the iPad has a completely new outside and everything internally is working, then by my definition it is "like new." Just go to one of those recycling sites for electronics. The price margin between a "perfect" device and a slightly scratched one is $200+. Additionally, the general population does not know when the new iPad is about to come out. Only we do, so if we sell our iPads right before the invitations for the press conference are sent out, we get the most money possible. :)

Emoo

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Texas
If that happens, I've got a question. Do you have to go to an Apple Store for claims and the like? There isn't one in my town, and we've only got a BBY. For a hundred bucks less, that'd be nice, but if I've got to drive 90+ miles to an Apple Store, I'd almost rather the BTP from BBY.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
AppleCare is a bonafide rip-off. If you use your American Express to purchase it, you automatically get an additional 1-year warranty on top of the manufacturer's. You also get 90 days of protection from theft, etc. If you don't have AmEx, you can apply for one free with your Costco membership. If you don't have a Costco membership, then what the heck are you doing?

Now rate my post Up because I just saved you $99. :D

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I know that. I'm already losing the same amount on AppleCare because I get it anyway, as I said. If it's $100 more to get AppleCare+ and one new replacement, then it is worth the money. If the iPad has a completely new outside and everything internally is working, then by my definition it is "like new." Just go to one of those recycling sites for electronics. The price margin between a "perfect" device and a slightly scratched one is $200+. Additionally, the general population does not know when the new iPad is about to come out. Only we do, so if we sell our iPads right before the invitations for the press conference are sent out, we get the most money possible. :)

You still have to count it in the cost...It still costs money even if you buy it every time. Why do you buy it anyway if you sell every year? It makes no difference to you.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
The Accidental damage coverage sounds like a good deal for the consumer for only $20 more. It covers the device for a full 2 years. So I think for many people it is a pretty good deal.

It is also a good move for Apple. They were selling a $79 plan that I could wait a year to get. Now with the damage coverage it makes sense to buy it up front and not wait 12 months to get it. That pulls $99 in now instead of $79, some now and some in 12 months.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
AppleCare is a bonafide rip-off. If you use your American Express to purchase it, you automatically get an additional 1-year warranty on top of the manufacturer's. You also get 90 days of protection from theft, etc. If you don't have AmEx, you can apply for one free with your Costco membership. If you don't have a Costco membership, then what the heck are you doing?

Now rate my post Up because I just saved you $99. :D

Do you have to have good credit to get accepted? Could I use this as my first credit card? Sorry, I just turned 18 and know nothing about this, but I need to start accumulating a good FICO score.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.