Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I have an old (5 year old?) Mitsubishi tv, with component and composite cables ( red white yellow and, r/w/y/r/b/g). It doesn't have anything else really, no dvi or VGA, but it does have an svideo port.

I am highly interested in getting an apple tv, but am not sure how to connect it and get it to play with my tv. The audio part I have figured out, I can connect the optical audio to my non hdmi Bose lifestyle surround sound system.

I do also have a time Warner cable box, but I am not entirely sure if it has hdmi or not, it's a scientific atlanta box. ( I think 8300HD model)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I have an old (5 year old?) Mitsubishi tv, with component and composite cables ( red white yellow and, r/w/y/r/b/g). It doesn't have anything else really, no dvi or VGA, but it does have an svideo port.

I am highly interested in getting an apple tv, but am not sure how to connect it and get it to play with my tv. The audio part I have figured out, I can connect the optical audio to my non hdmi Bose lifestyle surround sound system.

I do also have a time Warner cable box, but I am not entirely sure if it has hdmi or not, it's a scientific atlanta box. ( I think 8300HD model)

You need a converter. Either google it, or go to your local audio/video store.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
or buy an AppleTV G1, it connects to component, and can be hacked for AirPlay.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks everyone. I might look into the gen 1 apple tv, does the airplay work well for iPad and Mac mirroring?

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Might be pretty hard. Can't find a good 60+ inch HDTV for about $100 ;). Don't have the cash to buy an entirely new tv. But I can find up some for a cheap apple tv

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Go with the new ATV and converter box. No sense investing in old ATV1 technology.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Pardon the interruption, but what if you have an hd tv, just no HDMI input...which method is best? HDMI to dvi, rgb, or svideo?

upbraid

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011
Pardon the interruption, but what if you have an hd tv, just no HDMI input...which method is best? HDMI to dvi, rgb, or svideo?

you will most likely need a converter. hdmi carries both the video and audio signal and most computers cannot transmit audio via DVI (some ATI gpu's can)

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Mitsubishi 65813 and 3rd generation ATV (3/7/12)

I have a Mitsubishi 65813 CRT TV that only does 1081i, 480P, 480i no 1080P.
The Mitsubishi TV has DVI, and Component video inputs (and other lower resolution inputs).

Connecting my AppleTV 3rd generation (March 7, 2012):

1. ATV (HDMI) to Denon AVR 1912 (HDMI)
2. Denon AVR 1912 (HDMI) to Mits 65813 (DVI)

I know this works because I bought a ATV 2nd generation about 3 weeks ago (returned it after learning about the ATV refresh) and it worked. Only problem was some of the screen was cut off on the top (very minor).

Any comments?

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
DVI to RGB cable... connect to rgb input of Mits.(it will ignore the audio signal) Have to find the right video resolution setting for the connection.

Monoprice digital to analogue rca converter. Works great and cheap.

I've got about a 5 year old Fujutsu 1080 monitor and use this configuration with aTV 2. I upgraded software this afternoon and all is well. I had to change the audio setting to lock in at 16bit vs auto though.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
you will most likely need a converter. hdmi carries both the video and audio signal and most computers cannot transmit audio via DVI (some ATI gpu's can)

I was planing to use an existing optical audio cable for audio from atv to home theatre tuner...would I still need a converter to run HDMI to dvi for video only?

Thanks!

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I've also seen (for much cheaper) just a cable that has HDMI on one end, and component of the other, but I'm not sure how well that would work. A nice, powered, active converter will work much better I'm sure. It's also worth noting that this supports HDCP, which is NECESSARY for an AppleTV.
Seeing HDMI is digital and component is analog.. this will not work..

You need a converter. Either google it, or go to your local audio/video store.

^^^what he said

Last edited:

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Awesome, thanks :) I think I will get that.

One last question, do you know if that will also do audio through the component cables?

Yes, there are seperate red/white RCA outputs on the component side, so you get analogue audio out. If you want digital you could get it directly from the AppleTV's optical connector.

packerman1975

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
I have a Mitsubishi 65813 CRT TV that only does 1081i, 480P, 480i no 1080P.
The Mitsubishi TV has DVI, and Component video inputs (and other lower resolution inputs).

Connecting my AppleTV 3rd generation (March 7, 2012):

1. ATV (HDMI) to Denon AVR 1912 (HDMI)
2. Denon AVR 1912 (HDMI) to Mits 65813 (DVI)

I know this works because I bought a ATV 2nd generation about 3 weeks ago (returned it after learning about the ATV refresh) and it worked. Only problem was some of the screen was cut off on the top (very minor).

Any comments?

How did you get the optical audio to work through the Denon? Did you have to assign the optical audio to match the HDMI to DVI out to the TV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.