Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:05 PM   #401
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
No NFC Chip!
With the premise that the biggest use of a NFC chip is to act as a surrogate wallet, why would you ever want to use your iPad as a wallet?
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:05 PM   #402
ArcaneDevice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveting View Post
No Siri, No 8M camera, No quadcore. Well I am not complaining. I am sure it will sell fast and people will line up for it like crazy. The screen upgrade alone is probably worth the upgrade.

I like their product, just don't like their way of doing business not going all out, but always just give enough upgrade as long as it is enough to get users upgrade.
It's Apple's way and has been for the last decade. This is an incremental spec upgrade but Apple zealots will still lap it up as a major redesign.

I'll probably buy one because I'm bored and it might be useful for work, but if I had bought an iPad 2 I wouldn't be sad. Especially if you don't want to pay for data charges.

I bought an iPad 2 for someone last year and they are perfectly happy with the device, including the screen
ArcaneDevice is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:05 PM   #403
steveza
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Did I missed update on frontside camera; still crappy ?
No word on that so far.
steveza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:05 PM   #404
sand_man
macrumors 6502a

Surely the 20mb download limit on 3G is to be removed in 5.1??
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:05 PM   #405
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress666 View Post
Ok, truth be told the weight isn't the big thing that bothers me, you got me there (I was just pointing out it is getting bigger rather than smaller). It's more the size. The fact that it won't fit in my pocket or in my purse means I have to carry something extra just to carry it around. And if I have to do that, I'd rather just take my laptop which dimension wise won't really require me use that much bigger of an item to carry it around. The extra weight is worth the much better functionality and full OS imho with full fledged programs rather than stuff compromised to be more mobile.
Yea, I gotcha. Just pokin' some fun Especially if your work demands OSX, the MBP 13" is a great little machine to take around with you.

Now cue the MBP rumors
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:05 PM   #406
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveza View Post
Typically the store is down for a couple of hours after launches.
Then the store comes back and it's available for pre-order? Would it be reasonable to try at say, 5:00 PM EST?
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:05 PM   #407
Steve.P.JobsFan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Did I missed update on frontside camera; still crappy ?
You missed it. The cameras are a gazillion times better. 5 Megapixel on the back, and 1080p HD recording. The front facing camera is 1MP i believe, they just said the same cameras as the iPhone 4S.
Apple TV | 3rd Generation
Steve.P.JobsFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:06 PM   #408
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlgm View Post
No SD card, no iPad for me.
There will never be an SD slot
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:06 PM   #409
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by blow45 View Post
Alas, for three years in a row apple has decided to stick the same storage on the ipad. 16/32/64 gb constant for three years is a first in apple devices, or for that matter pc makers device that at some point or other get a storage bump. This has been discussed a lot here about what a 16gb model (14.5 gbs actually) can hold, about 3 textbooks, 2 movies, and one game, that's about it... Sure it's great to have such great display but if you can barely use the device to store anything what good is it for? Yet apple still think the ipad with all its versatile functionality can have equal storage with the ipod nano...what a sham...

I will buy an ipad for sure for the retina, but this is disappointing news, albeit expected news. I hope the news on the ram front are not equally disappointing.
Agreed with the capacities, Apple was once a capacity leader and now they have fallen, at least the androids have expandable space. At least add that if they dont want to add space.
iEvolution is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:06 PM   #410
cwwilson
macrumors 65816

Started off good, then got boring. Maybe we overhyped this new iPad.

No quad core CPU
No 128GB option
No Siri
No haptic display
16GB still base

Thinking now is as good a time as ever to get an iPad 2.
cwwilson is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:06 PM   #411
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDevice View Post
I bought an iPad 2 for someone last year and they are perfectly happy with the device, including the screen
If you bought an iPad 2 for me last year, I would have been perfectly happy too.
kas23 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:06 PM   #412
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekiRed View Post
Sorry Apple, but I guess I won't be giving you my money this year for an iPad if there's no 128GB version! Instead, it'll be going on a FonePad or the updated version of the Transformer Prime! Oh well, better luck next year, unless there's a new iPod Touch coming out...
Gee I wonder how many of these posts we're going to see today....of all these people who were going to buy the new iPad but because it doesn't have X they're going to buy some Android tablet instead.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:06 PM   #413
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
There will never be an SD slot
Agreed. Never.

Just the SD card adapter.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:07 PM   #414
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlgm View Post
No SD card, no iPad for me.
Camera Connection Kit?
MacRumorUser is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:07 PM   #415
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalfTheDog View Post
No T-Mobile. No Sprint.
I was talking about unofficially - the the previous iPad was unlocked thus someone would just need to stick a SIM in and check.

If it supports 3G over the AWS band it should work.
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:07 PM   #416
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Agreed with the capacities, Apple was once a capacity leader and now they have fallen, at least the androids have expandable space. At least add that if they dont want to add space.
apple is pushing to icloud. You won't be seeing a lot more local storage.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:07 PM   #417
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I'm only 5'8", and I'm pretty sure I hold the iPad at around 15"... possibly even further.

And I don't see the point you're making about the iPhone. Obviously pixels that are indistinguishable to the retina at 10" would still be indistinguishable at 12"
The point about iPhone relates to the fact that Apple said that because the screen to eye distance changes from 10" to 15" (iPhone to iPad) lower PPI density on iPad still qualifies for Retina moniker. I believe they stretched the truth here in both directions (10" is too short and 15" is too long)
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:07 PM   #418
steveza
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
Then the store comes back and it's available for pre-order? Would it be reasonable to try at say, 5:00 PM EST?
Yes it will be there when the store comes back online, you'll have to keep checking tho.
steveza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:07 PM   #419
Icaras
macrumors 601

Too much talk! Not enough credit card charging!

Open the store up, for christ's sake.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:08 PM   #420
Kev052683
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
No one can tell you when the store will be back up. Just keep checking back if you can manage to get it to load while the servers are getting pounded.
Kev052683 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:08 PM   #421
CJM
macrumors 6502a

Alright, alright. Just let me pre-order the damn thing.
CJM is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:08 PM   #422
kirk26
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDevice View Post
It's Apple's way and has been for the last decade. This is an incremental spec upgrade but Apple zealots will still lap it up as a major redesign.

I'll probably buy one because I'm bored and it might be useful for work, but if I had bought an iPad 2 I wouldn't be sad. Especially if you don't want to pay for data charges.

Considering this is a major upgrade I see many people moving from the iPad 2 to the new iPad.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:08 PM   #423
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Are we sure it's nt a quad core CPU? I thought the CPU and gpu were tied, so if it's quad core graphics it would have to be quad core CPU?
MacRumorUser is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:08 PM   #424
xApexPredator
macrumors newbie

I've heard about 3-4 people now complain about no Quad Core... I'm pretty sure they said that it DID have it! :S
xApexPredator is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:09 PM   #425
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN4U View Post
I miss the old days when these keynotes actually introduced great products with groundbreaking hardware and features.

For you Apple noobs, take a look at this video of the introduction of the 17 and 12" PowerBook G4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iGTDE9XqJU

Steve used to introduce several new things in a single keynote. They didn't talk about software and games and apps for 30 minutes.
I don't know. I remember plenty of Steve keynotes where he spent ages demoing iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto and I stupidly watched through all of it just to see the one cool thing that would be at the end...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion