Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
The new iPad

What the hell kind of name is that? Come on apple, be a bit more original.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
The problem is, Apple is having too much trouble keeping secrets. If we did not already know about Retina, we would be jumping up and down screaming our lungs out. This would be one of the greatest announcements in Apple history.

That said, because it does not come with it's own exotic matter hoverboard, I will just buy two cans and a bit of string instead.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So what is the name of the "New iPad"?

It is simply "iPad." Don't be surprised if technical literature, etc. refers to it as "iPad - early 2012 edition" similar to how my "MacBook Air 5" is the MacBook Air - Mid 2011 edition.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I miss the old days when these keynotes actually introduced great products with groundbreaking hardware and features.

For you Apple noobs, take a look at this video of the introduction of the 17 and 12" PowerBook G4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iGTDE9XqJU

Steve used to introduce several new things in a single keynote. They didn't talk about software and games and apps for 30 minutes.

I actually got excited watching that. I want a 12" PowerBook!

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed:

1)Retina...ok, cool...it's about time it got better screen rez anyway...this was a given.

2)Qaud CPU...boring. How does this affect the vast majority of users (web surfing, email, photo viewing, some apps)? Sure, the 5% of iPad gamers may welcome it, but there will be a new iPad next year...so the CPU bump was expected, too.

3)Better camera. Again, another tech spec update.

4)Siri and dictation. As with every other dictation software package since 1981, I'll believe it when I see it. I think the world believes that dictation is still a long ways away. Even if it works somewhat well, I have no need for it.

5)Apple keeps citing all sorts of "mobile" examples as if the iPad is being used by 90% of the owners in a "mobile environment" like in the car, walking down the street, etc...on cell networks. Um, no, the majority of iPad owners are not using them in this "mobile" environment. Used at airports? Sure. Used on a train ride? Sure. But those are the exceptions. I would gather, for numerous reasons (higher price of iPad, cell network data plans/pricing, reality of cell network speeds, etc), that iPad owners are using iPads in WIFI spots and very likely at home or on vacation. Again, not using it as an iPhone/smartphone.

I think Apple's wheels are spinning a bit here on the iPad...they seem to try to push the whole "it's the best gaming platform ever!!!" mentality (when it isn't) while also pushing this as some mobile device (sure, it's mobile...but people aren't walking down the street with it surfing the net or making a call).

My bet is that the competitors see this as generic tech-specs-update while Apple left on the table much better enhancements such as: more iOS features, better iPhoto integration, something new on Facetime (3-way calling?), stereo speakers, and other stuff that I can't seem to think of right now. The tech specs are welcome...and they WILL ALWAYS arrive every release...but I think Apple missed the boat on actual features that grab your attention.

The iPad 3.0 is good...don't get me wrong...but it doesn't have the same awe-shock as the 1.0. Now let's see what the competitors release over the next 12 months and see how much ground they make up.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
One of the most disappointing Apple events yet.

Jobs would be disgusted.

Keep the iPad at 16 GB, fail to capitalize on the millions that want a 128 GB
Make the base model 32GB at $499. Now that's AMAZING.
32, 64, 128 (Charge a premium for the extra storage)

Camera update...obvious nothing special, in fact no Facetime HD cam on front

iPad is heavier without an increase in battery size?

Pricing...very very stupid.

Meijers, Best Buy, and countless retailers were selling iPad 2's for 399-429 a few weeks ago and this is Apple's big price cut.

Should have made the iPad 2 16GB 299, really took a bite out of Android.

Big big failure and this is coming from someone with an iphone 4, macbook air, ipad 2

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Am I reading into it too much that the MLB.tv selection on the new AppleTV was referred to as an "app"?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Technically you are wrong.

A5X Dual with the quad core graphics is better then a Quad Core. Dual is better for almost everything done by almost everyone...higher clock.
Higher clocks can be nice for single threaded apps. frankly though I've seen nothing yet that indicates higher clocks.

You are however wrong about threading many apps can leverage additional cores fairly easily. Apple specifically designed GCD to allow developers to write software without having to track the number of cores in a specific piece of hardware.
For the weirdos running 4 apps simultaneously (that actually need CPU At the same time), quad would be better but that's like .0001% of people.
iOS for the most part doesn't run multiple apps so your argument has no place here. On top of that multiple cores very much benefit single apps as long as there is any amount of threading going on be it GCD based or something else.
No 128GB...big deal. Get the 64GB and put on your big boy pants. You don't need 128GB of storage. Off-load and On-load.
128 GB is a big deal if you need it. Frankly with everything else that was in this update I didn't expect it at all, but for people that needed it i can understand the disappointment.
Siri...who cares.

Haptic Display...prob give you finger cancer.

did we have some sour grapes today?

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I'm a bit disappointed:

1)Retina...ok, cool...it's about time it got better screen rez anyway...this was a given.

2)Qaud CPU...boring. How does this affect the vast majority of users (web surfing, email, photo viewing, some apps)? Sure, the 5% of iPad gamers may welcome it, but there will be a new iPad next year...so the CPU bump was expected, too.

3)Better camera. Again, another tech spec update.

4)Siri and dictation. As with every other dictation software package since 1981, I'll believe it when I see it. I think the world believes that dictation is still a long ways away. Even if it works somewhat well, I have no need for it.

5)Apple keeps citing all sorts of "mobile" examples as if the iPad is being used by 90% of the owners in a "mobile environment" like in the car, walking down the street, etc...on cell networks. Um, no, the majority of iPad owners are not using them in this "mobile" environment. Used at airports? Sure. Used on a train ride? Sure. But those are the exceptions. I would gather, for numerous reasons (higher price of iPad, cell network data plans/pricing, reality of cell network speeds, etc), that iPad owners are using iPads in WIFI spots and very likely at home or on vacation. Again, not using it as an iPhone/smartphone.

I think Apple's wheels are spinning a bit here on the iPad...they seem to try to push the whole "it's the best gaming platform ever!!!" mentality (when it isn't) while also pushing this as some mobile device (sure, it's mobile...but people aren't walking down the street with it surfing the net or making a call).

My bet is that the competitors see this as generic tech-specs-update while Apple left on the table much better enhancements such as: more iOS features, better iPhoto integration, something new on Facetime (3-way calling?), stereo speakers, and other stuff that I can't seem to think of right now. The tech specs are welcome...and they WILL ALWAYS arrive every release...but I think Apple missed the boat on actual features that grab your attention.

The iPad 3.0 is good...don't get me wrong...but it doesn't have the same awe-shock as the 1.0. Now let's see what the competitors release over the next 12 months and see how much ground they make up.

Let me guess...you'll buy it anyway. :)

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
what a let down. it will still sell bazillionssss but its still a let down to apple fanboys like myself :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.