Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's online store has slowed to a crawl with the traffic after the announcement of the 3rd generation iPad. Here are the data plan prices for AT&T and Verizon iPads on the 4G LTE network:

lte-500x291.png

Both AT&T and Verizon's data plans overlap in the 2GB an 5GB allotments and cost $30/mo and $50/mo respectively. Meanwhile, AT&T offers a lower end 250MB tier at $14.99/mo, while Verizon offers 10GB tier for $80/month. These are month-to-month no-contract plans like on the iPad 2.

Update: Though these plans were taken from Apple's Online Store, AT&T has gotten in touch with us and pointed out that their $30 data plan actually offers 3GB/month of data, making AT&T's $30 plan a better deal than Verizon's.

Update 2: Verizon has also reached out to remind us that the carrier offers a 1 GB plan priced at $20. It seems that Apple's site was offering some outdated or incorrect information on data plans when the store was first coming online. Apple's site is now showing the proper options, although Verizon also offers one additional plan not shown on Apple's site: 10 GB for $80.

att_verizon_4g_data_plans_ipad.png

Article Link: iPad 4G LTE Data Plan Prices for AT&T and Verizon [Updated]

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Typo - $80 for 10GB

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yeah, iPad users are getting ripped off on AT&T. So iPhone users can have 3 GB for $30, but iPad users only get 2 GB?

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
You want to know what would have gotten me a LOT more fired up about "The New iPad" than a fancier display or faster processor? A cheaper and/or truly unlimited data plan and/or a lot more storage space.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
$250mb for $15/month? What a ripoff. That'll take no time at all to hit on LTE speeds.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
They are pretty steep, but it means I can drop my hotspot feature on the iphone

Yea the only way I see myself getting an iPad with a radio in it is if I can share my dataplan with the iPad and not pay a premium.

I don't use my iPad enough off of wifi to justify a separate charge.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
If I were traveling for a month and could not rely on wifi connectivity, I could see the purchase of a $30, $50, or possibly $80 tier. Again, it'd have to be some scenario where wifi wasn't reliable or present.

The nice thing is that these are month-to-month options. With my current iPad 3G, I use the baseline 250mb / mo plan as backup and I generally save money by just paying an overage. Unless I needed to view videos, I don't need the extra data.

The higher tiers would be nice for folks who maybe want to upload photos or videos without Wifi, though. Surely some of the applications for this are not consumer– could be professional or point of service.

MartyXB

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Can one move over prior AT&T iPad plans to the new iPad like they did for the iPad 2? In particular, can one move over the $30 grandfathered unlimited plan?

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Unreal

I just don't get it. Why would you even want a 250MB/month plan on an LTE connection? Seems like a waste. And the other caps seem to be so low for how fast data can purportedly be consumed.

Why not offer more realistic caps like 5/10/15GB and make the prices $35/$75/$90? Then you are actually differentiating between 3G and true 4G service.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Yeah, iPad users are getting ripped off on AT&T. So iPhone users can have 3 GB for $30, but iPad users only get 2 GB?

It seems like a rip-off, for sure. At least it's month to month, though. Meaning you can outright drop service when you don't need it. I use the vacation analogy. For maybe 10 months out of the year, you could pay $0 or a tiny $15 fee for emergencies. Then the one or two months you're away and need more 4G coverage, you pony up for $30 or $50. On average it's cheaper, you just need to be on top of things.

PDXoPDX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
You want to know what would have gotten me a LOT more fired up about "The New iPad" than a fancier display or faster processor? A cheaper and/or truly unlimited data plan and/or a lot more storage space.

So you don't want a tablet. You'd rather have a laptop with wi-fi. I hear they come in several sizes. :rolleyes:

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
I just don't get it. Why would you even want a 250MB/month plan on an LTE connection? Seems like a waste. And the other caps seem to be so low for how fast data can purportedly be consumed.

Why not offer more realistic caps like 5/10/15GB and make the prices $35/$75/$90? Then you are actually differentiating between 3G and true 4G service.

I exclusively use the $15 / 250mb plan on my iPad 1 3G. Why wouldn't I want more speed browsing websites and getting email? I'm not going to pay $35 to watch a video over 4G--- $5 to rent the video and $30 for the data plan. That's nuts.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.

Because AT&T and Verizon want as many people as possible to hit their caps. Means their plans start over quicker (date wise) or they pay overages (not sure how the other networks do it penalty wise).

Why would either raise the data caps when consumers have little to no other options?

I travel a good bit and need LTE. I don't watch movies but use my iPad for work information and research. I have hit 2gb's in the past without video streaming at all.

It is an absolute joke that the ISP's put such a low amount when it is done for ZERO REASON other than wanting to get the ISP's as rich as possible

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
I exclusively use the $15 / 250mb plan on my iPad 1 3G. Why wouldn't I want more speed browsing websites and getting email? I'm not going to pay $35 to watch a video over 4G--- $5 to rent the video and $30 for the data plan. That's nuts.

I understand the 250MB option on the 3G devices. And I understand the desire to download emails/webpages quicker. But just seems odd that they wouldn't differentiate more between the two levels (3g vs. 4g).

Because AT&T and Verizon want as many people as possible to hit their caps. Means their plans start over quicker (date wise) or they pay overages (not sure how the other networks do it penalty wise).

Why would either raise the data caps when consumers have little to no other options?

I travel a good bit and need LTE. I don't watch movies but use my iPad for work information and research. I have hit 2gb's in the past without video streaming at all.

It is an absolute joke that the ISP's put such a low amount when it is done for ZERO REASON other than wanting to get the ISP's as rich as possible

Gotta wonder what will be the tipping point and when will it come?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.