Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

netflixlogo.jpg

Following the announcement today of a new 1080p-capable Apple TV, Netflix has announced that it will support 1080p streaming on the new Apple TV. In addition, users will be able to sign up and pay for Netflix service on both the second and third-generation Apple TV models, using their iTunes Store account.
Starting today, you can sign-up for Netflix directly on your Apple TV and pay via your iTunes account. Plus, with the new third generation Apple TV, you'll also be able to watch thousands of hours of great movies and television streaming on Netflix in 1080p high definition and with room-filling Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

Now, with a software update on your Apple TV, this seamless sign up and billing experience extends to the second generation Apple TV. The new sign up and payment experience on Apple TV is available wherever Netflix is, including in the U.S., Canada, Latin America, the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Netflix's iOS app is also available free on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Netflix Now Offering 1080p Streaming on New Apple TV with Direct iTunes Store Account Billing

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Cool, I just want more streaming for my current Netflix subscription :( most of the movies I want are unavailable.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Cool, I just want more streaming for my current Netflix subscription :( most of the movies I want are unavailable.

I agree. Their catalog is rather bland, but I have to say that TV shows are becoming very popular on Netflix, so at least there's that much.

As for the UI upgrade coming to 2nd-generation Apple TVs, I am ECSTATIC!! (or at least I hope the update gives us the new UI)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Now, if only Netflix movie selection was better...

I question why I even have a Netflix account...

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Has anyone seen an "official" list of any new streaming apps coming to the AppleTV? Base on what I could tell from the press conference it didn't look like they were adding Hulu+ or Amazon Prime (obvious conflict there) or anything.

TheKnowledgeGuy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Sounds like it will help people to have the option(or requirement) to use your iTunes account to purchase a Netflix subscription.

thep33t

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Will never use netflix again after their CEO's comments to the customer base.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I wonder if this will come out of my iTunes balance. This would be great, because it would be basically 20% off for me, because I buy up iTunes gift cards whenever they are 20% off.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Hmm hard decision, buy an Apple TV, or wait until Sony updates their Bravia firmware to play Netflix in the UK (currently it only works with Lovefilm).

Does anybody have a clue about when Sony will (if ever) provide Netflix access in the UK? (I think US Sony TVs already can play Netflix).

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Oooh! That is a nice feature of the new AppleTV. Maybe it is worth it? Ugh, I have so much feature overlap on the PS3 and Tivo, though. :-(

----------

It would be nice if Netflix had any content of popular movies.

Touché, my friend.

Netflix has lost a lot of compelling content recently. Though it certainly has a lot of uses for catching up on old TV series, older movies, and childrens programming. The problem is that most of that doesn't need 1080p– though it's always nice to have it.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Will the current Apple TV 2 get the UI update or just the new AppleTV?

ATV 2 will get the new UI. The only new feature for the AppleTV3 is a single core A5 chip that will enable 1080p. All other features and UI are coming to the second generation AppleTV via a "free software update today".

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Oooh! That is a nice feature of the new AppleTV. Maybe it is worth it? Ugh, I have so much feature overlap on the PS3 and Tivo, though. :-(

I currently have 3 devices plugged into my TV that can all stream Netflix while my TV itself has Netflix, Hulu+ and Amazon Prime built in. I like the idea of buying a second AppleTV (current AppleTV is in the bedroom) but AirPlay with Mountain Lion is the only real selling point as of now. I was really hoping for some new apps or even an app store for whole new possibilities.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Will the current Apple TV 2 get the UI update or just the new AppleTV?

The Verge tweeted that it was coming later today for Apple TV2.

We all expected most of the new interface and features on Apple announced for the new generation of the Apple TV to find their way down the previous generation, and just as with iOS 5.1 for the iPad and the iPhone, Apple isn't wasting any time. We hear that the update should be available today, bringing the new interface, movie re-downloading, and direct Netflix signup to current models. Of course, that won't mean that current models will be able to display 1080p content, but beyond that small niggle it appears that the previous generation will still be functionally identical with the new model.

The update hasn't appeared for us yet, but we'll update as soon as it does. In the meantime, don't miss our hands-on video with the new interface!

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2011
ATV 2 will get the new UI. The only new feature for the AppleTV3 is a single core A5 chip that will enable 1080p. All other features and UI are coming to the second generation AppleTV via a "free software update today".

Just checked both my Apple TV 2's and nothing yet.

Me personally, I don't know if the 1080P upgrade is worth replacing both of my current Apple TV 2's for. Yea if I get a 3rd one in the future, great for 1080P but, to drop $200 on 2 new devices is not in my budget right now if all I'm loosing is 1080P over 720P.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.