Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Just checked both my Apple TV 2's and nothing yet.

Me personally, I don't know if the 1080P upgrade is worth replacing both of my current Apple TV 2's for. Yea if I get a 3rd one in the future, great for 1080P but, to drop $200 on 2 new devices is not in my budget right now if all I'm loosing is 1080P over 720P.

The update is coming today. Not yet available.

Right now, I don't see the need to replace my ATV2 either. The only difference is 1080p. 720p looks great to me and it already taxes my bandwidth limit every month. I'm fine with the new UI on AppleTV2.

NEBaghead

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
Omaha, NE
The update is coming today. Not yet available.

Right now, I don't see the need to replace my ATV2 either. The only difference is 1080p. 720p looks great to me and it already taxes my bandwidth limit every month. I'm fine with the new UI on AppleTV2.

I've been wanting to get a new Apple TV for the upstairs and this gives me an excuse. Tv upstairs is 720 p so I will move the old Apple TV there and the new one will be downstairs in the Living Room.

I wish they would get HBO Go and some other streaming services.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I hope the UK Netflix gets 1080p too, Netflix so much better than Lovefilm (I bet Amazon regrets that purchase now).

hroar

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm wondering if YouTube still looks like crap on the new appletv. Anyone seen something on this around the net?

OrganMusic

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How much bandwidth do you figure one needs to stream 1080p with 5.1 audio?

neilk2350

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
netlflix doesnt look great either

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm wondering if YouTube still looks like crap on the new appletv. Anyone seen something on this around the net?

i have wideband 60 down and netflix still is pixilated. not sure how 1080p helps that

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How much bandwidth do you figure one needs to stream 1080p with 5.1 audio?

i have 60 down 20 up wideband and it looks like crap. Vudu on the other hand looks like a blu-ray in comparison

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Yep, as others have said - if I'm stuttering at 720p, 1080 won't help that. Besides, 70% of my online viewing is Hulu. And this this release doesn't help that.

No Hulu
No app store

Really, I would have gladly traded 1080 for even one of the above two capabilities. I will still be forced to use a Roku for 70% of my online viewing (Hulu). And, since switching is a pain, I'll probably use the Roku for all of my online viewing. But my old ATV is a nice AirPlay device, for my on-premise content.

huges84

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Do you guys think that Apple is charging Netflix a 30% fee for Netflix subscriptions originating or renewing from the Apple TV like they do for magazine subscriptions in the App Store?

I would think not just because Apple is still far from being a dominant player in TV, but you never know.

kastorff

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006
From what I can see, I have to use iTunes billing for Netflix on the ATV2. I don't see any way to use my existing account, and the screen that appears when I launch Netflix on the ATV2 after the upgrade seems to have forgotten my account credentials. WTF?

Update: Looks like the misleading wording is just a new EULA. Once you click through, if you have a previous Netflix streaming account, it's active. Nevermind.

Last edited:

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
Do you guys know if this new software fixes the constant pausing while watching Netflix through the ATV2?

I'm on a decent aDSL2 connection with 8-9mbps and the ATV2 pauses and buffers every minute making it impossible to watch Netflix content.

There is definitely something wrong with the ATV2 software and Netflix because it works perfectly when I stream Netflix content to my iPad or even through my PS3, using exactly the same wireless setup.

I was about to send the ATV2 back under warranty or get an exchange...

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I love Netflix in the UK, there's a lot of good kids content with no adverts, it saves me a fortune i.e. "Daaaad can I get a (insert latest toys name here) please?"

----------

Where do you get those???

I get them from supermarkets, catalogue stores etc. Look on deals websites, hotukdeals is one I check on, I'm sure there'll be something similar in the US.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Where do you get those???

Regarding 20% off iTunes gift cards: The deal only comes up every so often, and you have to act quick or you will miss it. I'm constantly checking slickdeals.net so I find out about these kinds of deals. The last two times (this year), it was through Best Buy. I don't remember if there was a limit to how many you could buy, but I bought $150 worth of credit at 20% off last time. It was digital only last time (meaning you didn't get a physical gift card, you got a code in e-mail).

----------

I just ordered the new Apple TV. I've been waiting for 1080P to buy one. AirPlay Mirroring in the upcoming OS X Mountain Lion sealed the deal for me, as that is a pretty killer feature. 720P is adequate for most TV, and might even be adequate for AirPlay Mirroring from OS X if you sit far away from your TV, but I figured an 1080P version was around the corner so I waited.

There is also an existing app "AirParrot" that supposedly already gives you AirPlay Mirroring in OS X. Might be worth the $10 while I wait for Mountain Lion.

james77

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2005
Do you guys know if this new software fixes the constant pausing while watching Netflix through the ATV2?

I am also wondering about this. Hope someone can let us know as I cancelled my netflix streaming because of the constant pauses and rebuffering

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia

I'm on a decent aDSL2 connection with 8-9mbps and the ATV2 pauses and buffers every minute making it impossible to watch Netflix content.

There is definitely something wrong with the ATV2 software and Netflix because it works perfectly when I stream Netflix content to my iPad or even through my PS3, using exactly the same wireless setup.

I was about to send the ATV2 back under warranty or get an exchange...

Also having this issue (and perfect playback on my Mac mini HTPC), but after updating and doing five minutes of test playback, it seemed okay...

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
i have wideband 60 down and netflix still is pixilated. not sure how 1080p helps that

----------

i have 60 down 20 up wideband and it looks like crap. Vudu on the other hand looks like a blu-ray in comparison

Wow, I'd check your router settings, I never had pixelation problems and I had like 10 or 20 down and 750k up.... Also I know you can change stream quality on the netflix website http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/netflix-offering-different-stream-quality-options-for-those-with-data-caps/

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
how about stream HD on new ipad? very expensive data use:eek: 4G LTE sure is fast...fast to eat up data and fast to rack up the bills..

but yeah netflix needs more videos/better ones.. why did i even reactivate my account :rolleyes::confused:apple needs to buy netflix :D

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
Also having this issue (and perfect playback on my Mac mini HTPC), but after updating and doing five minutes of test playback, it seemed okay...

Seems like it's working now mate... watched an entire movie without a single pause... as I said, before it used to buffer every minute.

Problem fixed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.