Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's introduction of the new 1080p Apple TV with an updated user interface, Apple has now pushed the 5.0 software update to existing Apple TV set-top boxes.

apple_tv_2012_movies.jpg
While the update obviously doesn't add 1080p support to the older boxes, it does bring the new icon-based user interface and other enhancements such as support for direct Netflix billing to their iTunes Store accounts.

Article Link: Apple Releases Apple TV Software Version 5.0 with Updated Interface

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I wish there were a way to make it sleep faster/easier. With this update, there is an extra step. Please... let me know if I'm missing something. But I would like to make it sleep without the TV on to know where I'm navigating to. (I almost always turn the TV off and then think to myself, "Now I have to turn off the Apple TV...")

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I wish there were a way to make it sleep faster/easier. Now there is an extra step. Please... let me know if I'm missing something. But I would like to make it sleep without the TV on. (I almost always turn the TV off and then think to myself, "Now I have to turn off the Apple TV...)

Don't worry about the Apple TV. It draws like no power.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I wish there were a way to make it sleep faster/easier. With this update, there is an extra step. Please... let me know if I'm missing something. But I would like to make it sleep without the TV on to know where I'm navigating to. (I almost always turn the TV off and then think to myself, "Now I have to turn off the Apple TV...")

I just set mine to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity and never worry about manually putting it to sleep.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

Just ignore it. It'll power down after idling for about 10 minutes, and in the meantime the power draw is practically nil.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
For all the jailbroken people, don't update if you want to keep your jailbreak.

Edit: Or does it?

Last edited:

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
personally, I liked the old look.

I wish I could rearrange the icons and hide the ones I never use... I'd like Netflix to be on the top row, and the sports icons to disappear.
I have found that long pressing the home button puts it to sleep. I don't know if this is a new feature, or one I just never came across before.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Yet another example of Apple bringing new features to old devices—an example which, as always, will be forgotten in time for the next nonsensical round of “Apple always wants to force you to upgrade by withholding XYZ feature for no reason!” :p (As though that’s been the trend... and as though Apple would truly want to damage their core reason for success—user experience—in trade for “forcing” some small fraction of people to upgrade a product.)

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Guys, help.

I updated mine. It didn't reboot. I unplugged it and replugged it, and now I get an iTunes logo with a USB cable on screen.

What the hell do I do?

Did it even come with a USB cable? I can't remember!

Scottie

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Guys, help.

I updated mine. It didn't reboot. I unplugged it and replugged it, and now I get an iTunes logo with a USB cable on screen.

What the hell do I do?

Did it even come with a USB cable? I can't remember!

Scottie

Sounds like your Apple TV got bricked. What you'll need is a micro USB to connect from your Apple TV to your computer. Open iTunes and restore.

Appel

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hold down the circle button til the white light on your atv turns off. Now the atv is off, no need for the tv to be turned on. This is not a new feature.

Does anyone know if this update bring airplay mirroring to the ML dev preview?

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Looks to me like Apple are finally preparing for an ATV app store... The new look essentially separates all the distinct sections into app icons and there is an awful lot of space when you shift the screen down... I recon (well, mostly hope lol!) that an ATV app store will be part of developer seeds by the WWDC in a few months... Fingers crossed!

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Looks to me like Apple are finally preparing for an ATV app store... The new look essentially separates all the distinct sections into app icons and there is an awful lot of space when you shift the screen down... I recon (well, mostly hope lol!) that an ATV app store will be part of developer seeds by the WWDC in a few months... Fingers crossed!

Agreed. Definitely a step closer to custom ATV apps.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Yet another example of Apple bringing new features to old devices—an example which, as always, will be forgotten in time for the next nonsensical round of “Apple always wants to force you to upgrade by withholding XYZ feature for no reason!” :p (As though that’s been the trend... and as though Apple would truly want to damage their core reason for success—user experience—in trade for “forcing” some small fraction of people to upgrade a product.)

I think the argument (playing devil's advocate) is more about the fact they package hardware capable of running certain features (ex: Siri) but hinder that with software. It's their right and makes good business sense for them to a degree but could rub some power-users/geeks the wrong way. Apple isn't exactly gunning for "geek-friendly" now that they are evolving into a mass-market consumer products company, so there will always be some justified feelings of sadness at that transition for computer geeks who have been accustomed to Apple pre-mass market iPad/iPhone success.

Then again I know a lot of times comments on here are partisan jabs for or against Apple's decisions and moderate discussions of the good and bad aren't often welcome, so I am probably playing devil's advocate for naught :p

Nailedtothex

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Exciting... Trying to get a new itv in the shopping cart for my living room 52" 1080p set... My bedroom 42" 720p set with the previous itv just finished rebooting...checking out the new diggs

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
From the screen shots it looks like the music menu has returned :D

That was the only reason I didnt replace my atv1

So can you now select music from an iTunes library without having to push it to the atv using AirPlay?

Pieira

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2003

You've always been able to stream music from your iTunes library. Now you can stream it from iTunes match. I don't think you can store any music on the device like you maybe could with the first one.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
From the screen shots it looks like the music menu has returned :D

That was the only reason I didnt replace my atv1

So can you now select music from an iTunes library without having to push it to the atv using AirPlay?

Well you held out for the wrong reason then. You never had to use Airplay. The second generation Apple TV puts music, movies, tv shows, photos, iTunes U, podcasts, and any other content that's in your iTunes library under "Computers" and it is shared to the Apple TV using the Home Sharing feature.

Airplay is an option but it has never been required to get your music in your iTunes Library on the Apple TV. Also, the Music icon is for iTunes Match which is another way to get your music. The main benefit with iTunes Match on the Apple TV, you don't need an iOS device or a computer running iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.