Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
The only difference I'm assuming is that the ATV 3 can do 1080p?

Is that the only difference?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As a today, yes, it have a faster processor which allow it play 1080P content, that's it.

(which is a lot), my guess is that once iOS6 (+iPhone5) is release, we'll see maybe apps on it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
As a today, yes, it have a faster processor which allow it play 1080P content, that's it.

(which is a lot), my guess is that once iOS6 (+iPhone5) is release, we'll see maybe apps on it.

We will never see apps directly on it. Doing so would kill the purpose of Airplay mirroring.

So basically its 1080p and that's about it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Why they don't just make it an HDMI dongle that is just an AirPlay receiver is beyond me. Sell it at $30-$40 and make a killing. Why do we need another device with an interface when more people (by millions) have iOS devices with much better interfaces?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
We will never see apps directly on it. Doing so would kill the purpose of Airplay mirroring.
That doesn't make sense at all. Its a set top box so why would it be forever restricted to only acquiring certain content from a remote device?

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
So if I have a ATV2 and an iPad 3, there is NO limit on functionality except for 1080P? Will the mirror mode not work as well? Does it mirror at full 1080P?

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
So if I have a ATV2 and an iPad 3, there is NO limit on functionality except for 1080P? Will the mirror mode not work as well? Does it mirror at full 1080P?

You will be able to mirror your iPad 3, but the screen on your TV will be downscaled to 720p.

Note the ATV2 CAN stream 1080p content from your computer, but it downscales the resolution from 1080p to 720p. And in my experience it doesn't handle the 1080p very well unless you can compress the 1080p on your computer, since 1080p videos typically have very high bit rates. And my ATV2 has crashed several times trying to buffer a high-bit-rate 1080p video after playing a few seconds of it (this is mainly home video from my DSLR camera).

Broph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
With internet data caps in NZ, there's probably no point for me to download 1080p movies as the file size would blow my cap right out of the water.

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
The only thing I wanted was a way to use my ipad to control the apple tv, doing searches on the apple tv is a pain. mirroring is an option but your then download the or video to your ipad, my apple TV is hard wired ethernet with now issues.

I would have liked the new bluetooth 4 maybe more memory, I think this is just 1080p which really is not important for me, nice but not a must have (I think):p

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Difference is a faster processor that allows it to do 1080p. I'm gonna hope that they've stuck some more RAM in there too.

Now all we need is a new Jailbreak and to install Plex on it...

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
The only thing I wanted was a way to use my ipad to control the apple tv, doing searches on the apple tv is a pain. mirroring is an option but your then download the or video to your ipad, my apple TV is hard wired ethernet with now issues.

I would have liked the new bluetooth 4 maybe more memory, I think this is just 1080p which really is not important for me, nice but not a must have (I think):p

Why aren't you using Apple's free Remote app? It does exactly what you want. Complete control of your Apple TV, access to your Home Shared iTunes libraries, and allows text input for searches, passwords, etc. It even automatically recognizes a text input and brings up the keyword when the app is open.

Apple has had this app on the App Store for quite a while and it is a universal app for all iOS devices.

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Why aren't you using Apple's free Remote app? It does exactly what you want. Complete control of your Apple TV, access to your Home Shared iTunes libraries, and allows text input for searches, passwords, etc. It even automatically recognizes a text input and brings up the keyword when the app is open.

Apple has had this app on the App Store for quite a while and it is a universal app for all iOS devices.

Does it control Youtube or Netflix or allow you to do searches on Netflix? If it does I missed that in the description. I always thought it just controlled your itunes library and you could use the play FF volume ...etc..

If I can do searches on Netflix that would be awesome.

powerman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
I know this is mostly about the Ipad, but in mountain lion we should also be able to mirror our Mac screen. What I would like to see is the ability to extend our desktop to our tv. That would make it a really exceptional product.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Will you be able to stream HD rental movies or do they still have to download first?

What you mean? that option has been there for like forever.

ipad can also do it, stuff you bought before can start to steam instantly while its downloading if you go to the video app.

also stuff you have bought/or rented can start instantly on the apple tv (but that feature isnt new)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
That doesn't make sense at all. Its a set top box so why would it be forever restricted to only acquiring certain content from a remote device?

It makes sense because it's an Apple set top box. They play by their own rules. They always have been in favor of a closed melding of hardware and software.

----------

why aren't you using apple's free remote app? It does exactly what you want. Complete control of your apple tv, access to your home shared itunes libraries, and allows text input for searches, passwords, etc. It even automatically recognizes a text input and brings up the keyword when the app is open.

Apple has had this app on the app store for quite a while and it is a universal app for all ios devices.

+1

----------

Does the Apple TV 2 run the new interface?

Yes, I just updated my firmware and the new GUI is there. All lollipop shiny and everything.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Does it control Youtube or Netflix or allow you to do searches on Netflix? If it does I missed that in the description. I always thought it just controlled your itunes library and you could use the play FF volume ...etc..

If I can do searches on Netflix that would be awesome.

It gives you a keyboard so you can more easily type searches.

applemike68

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
Will the new apple tv load pictures faster than apple tv 2? On my apple tv 2 when viewing 4500 pictures sometimes it takes awhile for the slideshow to start. Thanks

Soulfly22583

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Mobile, AL
Question for those that know way more about the Apple TV line -

Why do they not have a 10/100/1000 ethernet card in the device? I for the life of me cant think of why they would not have that functionality.

Thanks to anyone that can share some input

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.