Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:07 PM   #1
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

2012-2013 NFL Football Thread

Hello! With Peyton Mannings release from the Colts it's a good time to start thinking about the upcoming season. Where do you think he'll end up? Who will contend this year? Who will be this year's bottom dwellers? What moves are your favorite teams making??? Have at it boys!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:21 PM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

I think he'll grab some Snyder bucks in Washington. As a Jet fan, I don't want to see him end up in Miami and I certainly hope Woody Johnson still has fresh memories of Brett Favre since the NY press seems to think he'll make a run at him.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I think he'll grab some Snyder bucks in Washington. As a Jet fan, I don't want to see him end up in Miami and I certainly hope Woody Johnson still has fresh memories of Brett Favre since the NY press seems to think he'll make a run at him.
We should merge the last few posts of the other thread because we were just talking about this..

Looks like the Seahawks, Dolphins, and Cardinals will all try throwing money at him as well.

And I'm with you..I think the NY Media is trying to push for him - but even if they wanted him, I'm not sure they would have the bucks anyway.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:31 PM   #4
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

I actually see him landing in NY. What a story that would be with both Mannings in the same market. Also Rex needs to make a splash to keep his job so I see him pushing for it to happen
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
I actually see him landing in NY. What a story that would be with both Mannings in the same market. Also Rex needs to make a splash to keep his job so I see him pushing for it to happen
According to Twitter, they've already made contact - and I don't pretend to be an expert on cap space and all the financials - but he would be able to get a bigger pay day elsewhere...so we'll see what happens.

I think it's a long shot though.

Edit: and thanks for changing that ridiculous sig.
Moyank24 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
According to Twitter, they've already made contact - and I don't pretend to be an expert on cap space and all the financials - but he would be able to get a bigger pay day elsewhere...so we'll see what happens.

If they go after him, Sanchez is done. They can free up $9 million if they cut him.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
If they go after him, Sanchez is done. They can free up $9 million if they cut him.
Would that be enough $$, though?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:00 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:

I don't think money is the issue for Payton. I have heard he wants to go someplace where he has a chance to win another Super Bowl.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68000

If I were Manning, I'd see if the Texans had any interest. With that defense, Arian Foster, and Andre Johnson, they have as good a shot as any with the added benefit of youth.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:07 PM   #10
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Would they want to give him up? One hit and PM might be done. He might still have an arm but man I don't know if I would want to sign him with the neck issues.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
If I were Manning, I'd see if the Texans had any interest. With that defense, Arian Foster, and Andre Johnson, they have as good a shot as any with the added benefit of youth.

Problem is they have no cap room - and even if they released Schaub, I'm not sure how much that frees up...but I don't think it would be enough.

If they had the money it would be a great fit...and he has the benefit of staying in the division.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Problem is they have no cap room - and even if they released Schaub, I'm not sure how much that frees up...but I don't think it would be enough.

If they had the money it would be a great fit...and he has the benefit of staying in the division.
I could be way off base on this, but my thinking is that Manning will prioritize winning over money. He only has a few years left, presumably, and he has plenty of money. If I were him, I'd go somewhere on the cusp of greatness with a chance at it for a few years.

edit: Not to mention he'll have the opportunity to stick it to the Colts twice a year. I'd definitely be tempted by that.

Then again, I've been wrong about athletes on this topic before.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:19 PM   #13
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
From what I hear, no way hes coming to Washington. Id love to see him come to the Cowboys, but thats probably not going to happen either. Anyway, the rumors are the Jets, Texans, and Titans and maybe a few others are the ones wanting him. I could see him going to the Titans just because of his roots there.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:19 PM   #14
tktaylor1
macrumors 6502a

I think he will end up in Miami honestly.

Contenders: Packers, Patriots. I drop the Saints because of the bounty thing. I think they will get fined/a lot of penalties.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
I could be way off base on this, but my thinking is that Manning will prioritize winning over money. He only has a few years left, presumably, and he has plenty of money. If I were him, I'd go somewhere on the cusp of greatness with a chance at it for a few years.

edit: Not to mention he'll have the opportunity to stick it to the Colts twice a year. I'd definitely be tempted by that.

Then again, I've been wrong about athletes on this topic before.
I get you...and I think I'm more of a pessimist about the money situation (remember Mike Hampton and the great school districts in Colorado )but you're probably right. We'll see how everything shakes up. They are definitely talking about it here but they really don't see it as a realistic option.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
From what I hear, no way hes coming to Washington. Id love to see him come to the Cowboys, but thats probably not going to happen either. Anyway, the rumors are the Jets, Texans, and Titans and maybe a few others are the ones wanting him. I could see him going to the Titans just because of his roots there.
Wha?? U no likey like Tony Romo??
Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:45 PM   #16
MacNut
macrumors P6

Payton will go to a warm city or a dome, I don't see him playing in the cold with his neck. I also see him going AFC so he doesn't have to face his brother. I don't think he goes to NYC and upstages Eli. Miami seems like a good fit for him.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:00 PM   #17
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Payton will go to a warm city or a dome, I don't see him playing in the cold with his neck. I also see him going AFC so he doesn't have to face his brother. I don't think he goes to NYC and upstages Eli. Miami seems like a good fit for him.
this is my thinking too. he will likely stay out of the NFC because of his brother and so that leaves Miami as the best landing spot, although i'd think that Denver would work too. Seattle would be a good fit for him as well but thats NFC. its hard to tell what will happen.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:06 PM   #18
steviem
macrumors 68020

Posting in this topic too...

He'll stay in the AFC. Redskins will trade up for RG3, Cardinals will go for Matt Flynn. AFC East is my guess for Manning. Either Miami or NY. If it's NY, Sanchez might be taking a one way flight to Miami. My gut says Peyton will be in Miami though.

With the Colts releasing Manning, what kind of cap hit will they take?

My dream is he goes to the Jets and we get a Manning Bowl in 2014, but as I said, just a dream.

If he doesn't get a contract that he likes in the AFC, I see him retiring and becoming a coach.
steviem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:37 PM   #19
OutThere
macrumors 603

As a Colts fan it's mighty sad to see Manning gone from the Colts. End of an era. Unfortunately I think it makes sense strategically, $28m for one player and what could potentially be another season on the bench is just too much. Last season showcased many places that the money saved on Manning could be spent to massively improve the team as a whole.

As far as where Manning winds up...my money is on Miami. Cap room, climate, reasonably solid team with a disastrous QB situation. Sounds like a winner to me. Plus Manning already has a house in Miami, which makes it all the more interesting for him. They also have some room and could bring in Reggie Wayne to keep the duo alive. Arizona could be in the mix, he has some connections there and they have a climate controlled stadium. The Jets should remember Favre and take that as a warning. I really don't see him in New York anyhow...Rex Ryan is a jackass and the Jets are a circus, plus it's clear that Eli owns that stadium now and it would pit them against each other at some level. I can only imagine the covers the Post would come up with with both Mannings in town.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:43 PM   #20
quagmire
macrumors 603

My dream situation.

Peyton signs with Jets. In 2014 the Jets and Giants go to the SuperBowl at the Meadowlands. NYC Superbowl in NYC( ok NJ lol). Both teams in their home stadium. That will be a game to watch.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:27 AM   #21
miles01110
macrumors 604

Manning will be a Redskin by the end of the month, along with Randy Moss. Washington D.C. is where NFL careers go to die.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:02 AM   #22
zioxide
macrumors 603

who cares about manning. what does everyone think of the bounties?
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:29 AM   #23
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
My dream situation.

Peyton signs with Jets. In 2014 the Jets and Giants go to the SuperBowl at the Meadowlands. NYC Superbowl in NYC( ok NJ lol). Both teams in their home stadium. That will be a game to watch.
not being a hater but I personally think we've seen the last superbowl with a Manning for a very long time
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:31 AM   #24
The.316
macrumors 6502a

I think Manning goes to Miami, and is followed by Wayne. Manning should have do fine throwing to Wayne, Marshall, Bess, Bush, etc.
The.316 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:03 AM   #25
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
My dream situation.

If that happens I will probably blow my brains out.
zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion