Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 8, 2012, 02:41 AM   #1
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Mass effect 3

So I guess it's finally out!

Anyone picking up the N7 Collector's edition?

I am thinking about it, but really only for the extra mission/character and the doggy. On the other hand, will these two items be available as DLC? Might be cheaper to buy the regular game and those two separately...

EDIT: Is the "From Ashes" DLC on PSN the extra mission from the N7 edition?

Last edited by Taustin Powers; Mar 8, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:02 AM   #2
TheRocketmac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taustin Powers View Post
So I guess it's finally out!

Anyone picking up the N7 Collector's edition?

I am thinking about it, but really only for the extra mission/character and the doggy. On the other hand, will these two items be available as DLC? Might be cheaper to buy the regular game and those two separately...

EDIT: Is the "From Ashes" DLC on PSN the extra mission from the N7 edition?
Gamestop has a deal where you can get the extra mission/character/weapon/gear for $9.99 instead of paying the $30 extra for the Collector's edition.
TheRocketmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:21 AM   #3
JayMysterio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rock Ridge
It isn't so much a deal, that's just the cost of the DLC if you buy it separately. From Ashes is 800 MSP on Live or $10.00

Yes, From Ashes is the extra missional, also known as the controversial 'day one dlc'.

I did pre order the collector's edition from Amazon. I can also say, much to the dismay of my friends, I haven't played the single player portion yet. I've just played the multi player and been loving it. Will do the single player this weekend.
__________________
Moto X  '10 & '12 Mac Mini  '11 13" MacBook Air 128GB  32GB iPad Mini Retina
JayMysterio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Taustin Powers
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Any info on whether the robo dog will be available separately?
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
I'm getting the standard version which comes with the N7 weapons and armor via DLC. I've already purchased the From Ashes DLC last night in preparation for the main event.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Blue Sun
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Not sure if anyone played the ME3 multiplayer demo, but they have nerfed the Asari Adept considerably in the final version of the game. It was the best multiplayer class (thanks to Stasis), but now it has a ridiculous cool-down time.

The best Adept class is now the Drell from my experiences, while the best overal class is the Quarian or Salarian Infiltrator (depending on what kind of enemy).
Blue Sun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Incarna
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
Not sure if anyone played the ME3 multiplayer demo, but they have nerfed the Asari Adept considerably in the final version of the game. It was the best multiplayer class (thanks to Stasis), but now it has a ridiculous cool-down time.

The best Adept class is now the Drell from my experiences, while the best overal class is the Quarian or Salarian Infiltrator (depending on what kind of enemy).
I played the demo. Was thinking of getting the version on Origin on Windows but wanted to hear about the changes to multiplayer first. What's different about multiplayer in the final release?

Asari Adept was my favorite... statis everything + biotic explosion!

Are there at least a lot more items, levels, and characters?
__________________

Multimon - Multiple menu bars & monitor management.
System Lens - Simple resource management for your Mac.

[ Both available in the Mac App Store. ]
Incarna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Patriks7
macrumors 65816
 
Patriks7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Batcave
Heard too much good stuff about this game, might be forced to get it Is it necessary to have played the first two games? Would I be missing out on too much if I haven't played them?
__________________
iPhone 5 | iPad rMini | iPod Nano | Canon 40D
MacBook Pro Retina 13" | MacBook Pro Unibody 15"
Patriks7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Incarna
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
There's a lot of story in the first two, but at least from what I've heard they've done a pretty good job of explaining the gist of the storyline if you hadn't played the first two.

The first two are great though, probably only a few dollars now.
__________________

Multimon - Multiple menu bars & monitor management.
System Lens - Simple resource management for your Mac.

[ Both available in the Mac App Store. ]
Incarna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:03 PM   #10
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
PS3 version

Ok so my copy arrived in the mail and I've spent some good time with it. I had already downloaded the from ashes DLC and N7 weapon/armor DLC.

I imported my 50 hour save from ME2 and began. This time round I decided to be a Sentinel (Normally I always play as an Adept). I began the game and noticed a shockingly poor frame rate even compared to the demo which had some stutter.

I played on till after first opening section and hen realised once I could allocate powers / points (started with 50+ points so could max some techniques from the off) that I really didn't like being a sentinel and so decided before I played anymore I would go back and play as my adept character. Framerate was still poor.


So I started the game from the outset with my loaded character and adept class.

And somehow magically my framerate is dramatically improved. It's smooth for 99% of the time with only the odd little stutter in cinematics.

I'm not sure what was fixed but it's amazing the difference.


So if you do start the ps3 game and have framerate issues, before you go too far - try restarting over.



There are some really nice improvements graphically with this version over ME2 which was already a good looking game.

So far I'm loving it, though I could slap sheppard a few times (he's a bit broody/moody this time round) and whilst the continuity aspect is excellent for the most part, I still don't understand how I went from having a full crew / all utterly loyal / destroy the reaper / stopped Cerberus getting hands on reaper tech etc.. How doing everything right an getting the best ending in ME2 led me to being told off and having my commander title stripped off me.

There's a massive continuity error for me right from the off and it doesn't get explained what I did to get into the position that we all start ME3 from?
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Blue Sun
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarna View Post
I played the demo. Was thinking of getting the version on Origin on Windows but wanted to hear about the changes to multiplayer first. What's different about multiplayer in the final release?

Asari Adept was my favorite... statis everything + biotic explosion!

Are there at least a lot more items, levels, and characters?
There are 4 more levels, heaps of new items and more playable characters. I've played the multiplayer more than the single-player at this point, its very addictive.

Currently I'm using Infiltrators to amass credits on Gold. Still trying to unlock rare weapons.
Blue Sun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Patriks7
macrumors 65816
 
Patriks7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Batcave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarna View Post
There's a lot of story in the first two, but at least from what I've heard they've done a pretty good job of explaining the gist of the storyline if you hadn't played the first two.

The first two are great though, probably only a few dollars now.
Thanks. Money isn't a problem, sadly, time is
__________________
iPhone 5 | iPad rMini | iPod Nano | Canon 40D
MacBook Pro Retina 13" | MacBook Pro Unibody 15"
Patriks7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:07 PM   #13
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020
 
charlieegan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.K
I finished my first play through yesterday and really enjoyed it. Still not sure about the ending I got though. I still think Mass effect 2 is a better game, but the combat and Mass effect 3 is so much better.

One thing that is puzzling me is the meta-critic user reviews, some of the people sound like they haven't actually played the game! quite frustrating.
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:17 PM   #14
erayser
macrumors 6502a
 
erayser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriks7 View Post
Thanks. Money isn't a problem, sadly, time is
You can blow through ME and ME2 fast, but you will lose squad members if you don't unlock dialogue by maxing charm or not getting loyalty from your squad members. Still better if you do all the missions and assignments in both ME and ME2 though... so you can see characters and relationships throughout the series. Also, playing ME3, they do bring up stories from ME2 DLC. so if money isn't an issue with you... play the DLC too. I recommend... playing ME and ME2.. and take your time and enjoy the story. When you finish... maybe ME3 will be on sale somewhere.
erayser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:01 PM   #15
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603
 
2nyRiggz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
I actually have no interest in buying this...I really wanted to but the feeling past. I think I'll wait for it to go down in price.




Bless
__________________
I take everything to Jah in prayer
2ny, do something righteous with your life..
2nyRiggz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:55 AM   #16
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by erayser View Post
You can blow through ME and ME2 fast, but you will lose squad members if you don't unlock dialogue by maxing charm or not getting loyalty from your squad members. Still better if you do all the missions and assignments in both ME and ME2 though... so you can see characters and relationships throughout the series. Also, playing ME3, they do bring up stories from ME2 DLC. so if money isn't an issue with you... play the DLC too. I recommend... playing ME and ME2.. and take your time and enjoy the story. When you finish... maybe ME3 will be on sale somewhere.
If your on PS3 you won't be able to play ME1, but the ME2 comes packaged with the DLC and is available for less than 20 these days.

I played ME1 on 360 and ME2 on PS3. My biggest issue is that a character I saved and played with in ME1, was automatically killed (taken as dead) in ME2 and I had no choice over that, likewise In ME3 it tells me Wrex died, but for me he didn't.

It's again a big flaw in the ME continuity system.

There should be a way especially for pS3 owners to modify some if the choices from ME1 storyline rather than them be defined, which often stand as polar opposites of what users actually played.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:50 AM   #17
Blue Sun
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
I finished my first play through yesterday and really enjoyed it. Still not sure about the ending I got though. I still think Mass effect 2 is a better game, but the combat and Mass effect 3 is so much better.

One thing that is puzzling me is the meta-critic user reviews, some of the people sound like they haven't actually played the game! quite frustrating.
***SPOILERS below***

The last 15 minutes of the game really did leave a lot to be desired. The fact that you make countless decisions throughout the trilogy, only to be given a choice of 3 endings (regardless of how you played the game) is weak at best. The worst part was that the 3 endings were essentially the same, pretty disappointing really.

However, it is possible that BioWare has something more up there sleeves. Shepard is knocked unconscious in London immediately prior to travelling to the citadel, and some people believe he remains there for the rest of game (i.e he never goes to the citadel to talk to the StarChild VI). In his unconscious state there are theories that the reapers are actually trying to indoctrinate him, and depending on what ending you choose, the reapers are either successful in Shepards indoctrination, or fail outright.

Checkout this youtube video.


***end SPOILERS***

Last edited by balamw; Mar 14, 2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spoiler in white
Blue Sun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:55 AM   #18
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
***SPOILERS below***
You should color code this white so it's not as visible. Even with the spoiler alert any talk of the ending - even the context that some have found it disappointing is enough of a spoiler for some us as it is.

It's like saying film has a twist, even without revealing what the twist is.. The mere fact we know it's there takes away the impact.

So please no talk of the ending or at least start a new thread specifically for that. Because anyone stumbling on this is going to be disappointed even if you post **spoiler** warning.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:14 AM   #19
erayser
macrumors 6502a
 
erayser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
If your on PS3 you won't be able to play ME1, but the ME2 comes packaged with the DLC and is available for less than 20 these days.

I played ME1 on 360 and ME2 on PS3. My biggest issue is that a character I saved and played with in ME1, was automatically killed (taken as dead) in ME2 and I had no choice over that, likewise In ME3 it tells me Wrex died, but for me he didn't.

It's again a big flaw in the ME continuity system.

There should be a way especially for pS3 owners to modify some if the choices from ME1 storyline rather than them be defined, which often stand as polar opposites of what users actually played.
Sorry about that... I saw the Mass Effect 3 link on the main forum page, and clicked on it. I didn't know I was in the Console forum... I thought was a gaming forum in general. I played the Mass Effect series mainly on the PC. However, I do own a PS3... so I'm not a Console hater. I didn't know there were issues with the PS3. Playing the ME series... and basically living the story through your choices... I can understand your frustration. I agree that there should be a way to import your games from one system to another. I've seen threads on how to import from XBox to PC... and the other way around, but probably not possible on the PS3.
erayser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:32 PM   #20
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
30 hours and all finished.

Not sure how DLC after a game is really going to pan out for this. It feels wrong, at least with Lair of Shadow Broker etc, they extended the game naturally. With ME3 they can't do that with the way the game plays out really.

Oh and the From Ashes DLC should have certainly been on the disc from scratch. Javikk is essential character from the start, and the fact he has dialogue with characters from essentially the start of ME3 means he wasn't added after the event as BioWare would have you believe.

I won't mention the ending other than it does end.

A great game, I played with Narrative setting as I was more interested in story. I love this idea, it didn't make me feel like I was missing anything, being such a story driven game, and if anything it made me hunt out all side missions and quests for people just to embellish the story.

I wished more of the characters from earlier games had more essential roles, rather than some fleeting cameos. But I guess this was so that folks who hadn't played ME1 & 2 didn't feel like they were missing out.


Not interested in replaying the game and not interested in multiplayer. Will be trading it in shortly whilst it's still a good seller to maximize trade in value.


Bring on the next big title. Hopefully Jade Empire 2 bioware please.....
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows: Mass Effect Trilogy Price? SingularityG Mac and PC Games 5 May 16, 2014 05:30 PM
iPhone: Mass Effect 3 4/4s request TyShawn UI Customization 5 Oct 1, 2013 12:56 PM
Mass Effect Trilogy skottichan Console Games 11 Jun 22, 2013 12:28 PM
Mass Effect Trilogy Taustin Powers Console Games 5 Jul 28, 2012 10:01 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC