Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
All of the iPad 2 screen protectors should work for the new iPad... right? I want to go ahead and get one here before next Friday. The only potential difference I could think of would be the size or location of the front facing camera hole. Anyone know?

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
All of the iPad 2 screen protectors should work for the new iPad... right? I want to go ahead and get one here before next Friday. The only potential difference I could think of would be the size or location of the front facing camera hole. Anyone know?

I e-mailed Power Support after the Apple announcement, they said:

"Unfortunately, we will not have any news on if the film for the iPad2 will fit the iPad3. Until the iPad3 is released and sent to Japan for exact fittings. We should know in the next four to six weeks. I hope this has been helpful. Thank you for your interest and support."

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Haha 4 to 6 weeks? Does it really take that long to stick one on there and see if it fits?

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Crap, I ordered a Power Support crystal film a while ago. I don't see why it wouldn't fit though. The screen dimensions, iSight camera, and home button are identical.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
my iPhone 4S iPad 2 have been naked since day 1, not a single scratch.

I used PS Crystal for iPad 1 and iPhone 4.. let me tell you, PS is the best but naked is even better!

simply put, screen protector's just a waste of money, and from my past experience iPhone screens don't scratch unless you rub it hard with a cloth littered with sand and crystal dust.

micro-fibre cloth and can of air duster clean them well enough :)

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
I've never protected any of my Ipads and with my 3yr old and 6 yr old subjecting them to hell and back (snot, greasy fingers etc.) a good wipe down keeps them looking new, screens seem tougher than you would think

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
People hate it when I say it but I am going for a SwitchEasy PureAnti-Reflect. I have used it on the iPhone 3GS, iPod touch and iPhone 4 and they are the best. No more finger print streaks and no more mirror like reflections.

You do get slight smudges but they are a million times better to look at than the color altering smudges you get on glass. In addition the smudges disappear when the screen is on. And being able to see the screen instead of a reflection is another plus. The only down side is you get a slight grainy look to the screen.

Here is a comparison on my iPhone 4
DSC03027.jpg

DSC03094.jpg

With the iPad being a bigger screen it will be even less of an issue.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
screen protector was fine UNTIL THE RETINA DISPLAY.

once you go naked you will never look back :p lol.

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
Ordered an SPIGEN/SGP Ultra Crystal screen shield during the Keynote yesterday as the "New iPad" is the exact same screen size as the iPad 2.

Fortunately, I checked back later that afternoon and saw that the same screen I had ordered had been re-packaged for Pre Order for the iPad 3!

I have not used a screen protector for my iPad, but my wife, uses one on hers religiously. She currently uses the ultra optics, but with the retina display I didn't want to alter the appearance any.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
screen protector was fine UNTIL THE RETINA DISPLAY.

You're buying the wrong kind then.

Use a good "crystal" style and it's like there's nothing there. SGP Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic is a good one.

I have a couple cheap ebay ipad2 screen protector here to use until SGP's ready with new ones or others confirm they work with ipad 3rd gen.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks for the info on Power Support. I think I should just buy and hope for the best because I have one on my iPad 1 now and it saved me from massive frustration with the glare. It's not the protection I cared for, it was the glare. Try sitting on a plane and watch a movie, the glare from the overhead lights and windows is obnoxious.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I bought the UF SGP protector on Amazon (Free Prime Shipping), and it states in the listing that SGP or Amazon will replace the protector should it not fit the iPad 3.

----------

People hate it when I say it but I am going for a SwitchEasy PureAnti-Reflect. I have used it on the iPhone 3GS, iPod touch and iPhone 4 and they are the best. No more finger print streaks and no more mirror like reflections.

You do get slight smudges but they are a million times better to look at than the color altering smudges you get on glass. In addition the smudges disappear when the screen is on. And being able to see the screen instead of a reflection is another plus. The only down side is you get a slight grainy look to the screen.

Here is a comparison on my iPhone 4

With the iPad being a bigger screen it will be even less of an issue.

Your "best" rating is based upon what?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I bought the UF SGP protector on Amazon (Free Prime Shipping), and it states in the listing that SGP or Amazon will replace the protector should it not fit the iPad 3.

NICE. Thanks for posting, just placed my order, though my preference is the Ultra Crystal vs Ultra Fine.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012

----------

Your "best" rating is based upon what?

SGP Incredible Shield ULTRA MATTE was horrible
Otterbox Screen Protector was horrible
SwitchEast PureProtect was horrible

I have had a few others I just cannot remember what.

After SGP i stayed away from all rubber screen protectors. They do not feel right. I like the SwitchEasy AR because you finger will never grip the screen and smudges are pretty much non existent after everyday use. Cleaning it is also much easier than plain glass or protector.

I have one that has been on my iPod touch since I got it back in 09/29/09. My iPod does not get treated nearly as good as my iPhone and all it has is some minor scuffs

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
I have PowerSupport Crystal and PowerSupport Crystal AFP (both for the iPad2) installed on our iPad3's. Both fit perfectly and one is indistinguishable from the other. I have tried them all and PS has the best screen protectors, period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.