Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past couple of months, we've been covering OnLive's efforts to bring remote virtualization of Windows applications to the iPad, offering access to Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, and Flash-enabled web browsing through Windows 7. OnLive may, however, be running into some difficulties with Microsoft over its offerings, with ZDNet pointing to a Microsoft blog post discussing licensing arrangements for remote desktop streaming and its belief that OnLive is not meeting these requirements.

onlive-desktop.jpg

Companies are permitted to offer some "desktop-like functionality" to users via remote hosting, but Windows 7 itself and Office provided through a hosted Windows 7 installation are specifically excluded. An alternative method allowing for full remote hosting would require that the end user hold a license with Microsoft for the software and that the remote hardware used to host the Windows installation be dedicated to that specific customer. OnLive's services certainly do not seem to meet either of these paths to compliance, and Microsoft notes that it is "committed to seeing this issue is resolved."
Some inquiries about these scenarios have been raised as a result of recent media coverage related to OnLive's Desktop and Desktop Plus services. Additionally, the analyst firm Gartner raised questions regarding the compliance of these services last week. We are actively engaged with OnLive with the hope of bringing them into a properly licensed scenario, and we are committed to seeing this issue is resolved.
OnLive has apparently yet to issue any public statements on the situation.

Article Link: Microsoft Targeting OnLive over Windows Remote Virtualization Licensing

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
I learned early in my IT career, the only way to pass a Microsoft Certification exam was to choose the option that said "Buy more licenses"

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
oh no!

I love microsoft, but I swear they are too stingy with their license agreements. OnLive is a great company, ive been gaming with them for years, and the virutal windows is a great new product.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
:eek:, just downloaded this because of the Pogue article. Well it was only going to make things a bit more convenient. More trying it out to see whether to recommend to my Windows bound iPad owning friends than anything else.

Here is me giving you the bird, MS. :rolleyes:

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
I don't own an iPad yet, but the last thing I would want to use it for is to virtually run Windows software on it.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I'm only surprised redmond didn't chase them with the hammer sooner...

OnLive's price wasn't bad... guess that will change.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
I'm only surprised redmond didn't chase them with the hammer sooner...

OnLive's price wasn't bad... guess that will change.
I guess so. If you aren't paying the bills it's easy to deliver a cheap offering.

MS License breaches normally come with a fine or penalty of some sort but in my experience a commitment to buy more in the future (volume license or enterprise agreement) smooths this over quite nicely.

tomhfh

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
Great, but only for America.

Will this come to the UK any time soon?

Jarland

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
I'm not surprised, but I do appreciate that Microsoft is being vocal about it prior to calling out the dogs on OnLlive. That shows consideration for the company and their customers, and that's not something I've know Microsoft to do. Perhaps the two can sit down and draw out a plan to make this work for everyone. This can be a good thing for Microsoft as it gives people less of a reason to migrate from Office.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I love microsoft, but I swear they are too stingy with their license agreements. OnLive is a great company, ive been gaming with them for years, and the virutal windows is a great new product.

I don't know of ANY commercial software vendor who would allow a product sold with an end-user license to be provided to an arbitrary number of other users like this without any profit going back to the vendor. From a financial point of view that would be no different than buying a single copy of Windows 7 and then making the ISO available for download on your website for a fee, since you're now providing it to other users without MS seeing any of the profit. Any commercial software vendor would object to that. In this case, judging by their blog post, MS isn't trying to shut down OnLive, they just want them to buy the appropriate licenses that MS sells specifically for companies who want to provide a service like OnLive.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don’t need this service, but it was pretty neat... while it lasted.

Clearly MS wants to be paid in SOME way for all these free Office users. Maybe Microsoft needs to open up a new licensing option... but probably not a free one!

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I love microsoft, but I swear they are too stingy with their license agreements.

So, I take it you'd be alright selling 1 license to a corporation, and them just installing it on every computer in the building. Good business model man.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
RDP and office have VERY strict licensing rules, I knew this was going to happen. MS isn't being stingy, it is THEIR software that OnLive is profiting from.
I don't own an iPad yet, but the last thing I would want to use it for is to virtually run Windows software on it.
The iPad is amazing at running RDP - If you need to run windows only software (yeah, sounds absurd right?) like people in the medical field, the iPad can be your vehicle to run that software even though it is windows based. I gather you don't get out much into the real world of computing by your comment.

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Get Real People

Forget what you think about Microsoft, but you know this service is just wrong. I don't care if Onlive did find a loophole in the license agreement, millions of people using "just a bit" of Windows 7 and Office 2010 even without it being on the iPad is just wrong.

I will say that it is cool, I have the app just to try it. It shows what can be done with virturalization. This reminds me of Skyfire. Cool for a work around, but it will eventually die off...

Microsoft has every right to protect its assets, which Office and Windows are their TOP assets. If this was Apple protecting its assets, you would think differently...

Now, if Onlive did work out an agreement and people paid or not, but all legalities were worked out this would be great!

Seeing this happening is pretty slim as Microsoft is readying windows 8 and office 15... So, Pipe down and enjoy this limited app while you can.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Microsoft trying to abuse their monopoly again for more money, not a surprise

But wheres the UK launch :(

Bitchplease. If this was Apple instead of Microsoft they'd be suing onlive's ass off.

And you'd be cheering them on.

Apple has become the king of giant corporation suing machines.

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
So, I take it you'd be alright selling 1 license to a corporation, and them just installing it on every computer in the building. Good business model man.

When it comes to Microsoft, yes, i believe that the licensing is horrific. Seriously, it costs so much money to license Windows and Office for every computer in a company. There is no need for an Volume License of Office to cost 500 dollars for the professional for each user, or 20 dollars for each client to use Live Communicator, or 25 dollars for client access licenses. Microsoft may and I do stress may have some nice software, but for what thy charge, it is a rip off. And they charge it because they know they have the Industry. Open Office an Linux are great, but really, how many companies use it? It is all Windows and Office.

I wish that Mac, Linux, and Open Office would pick up steam and begin to take over Microsofts market share. Maybe then their pricing would then be more competitive.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
NYU offers us virtual access to Microsoft Office and Adobe applications on any computer or iOS device (powered by Citrix) and we are required to log in with our university issued account so they can monitor exactly who is using it.

tripleg

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2010
Bitchplease. If this was Apple instead of Microsoft they'd be suing onlive's ass off.
And you'd be cheering them on.
Apple has become the king of giant corporation suing machines.

It's hard to tell these two companies apart lately. They are two sides of the same coin when it comes to licensing, agreements, and litigation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.